Wrong paint code on my Vin ??? - Need some advice

givememorepower

I've just had my 2006 front bumper sprayed, but it looks silver and my car is Grey. I've been back the the shop today and got no further forward, other than closer to spending more money.

The paint shop (good shop/no probs) have informed me that the colour code on my Vin is 'Starburst Silver', and that is the colour my bumper has been sprayed. This said, it's not the same shade as the rest of my car.

Fair enough to them, no arguments there, but my car is f'ing Grey not Silver, so what's gone wrong there then????

Were there different shades of the Grey, and if so should they have known this?

Nissan say there is a Gunmetal Grey pre-2006 and a Twighlight Silver onwards?

I'm lost. Getting close to losing my patience with this as I spent £230 already, not prepared to spend the same again if I don't have to.

Anyone had similar before????

had my body kit sprayed the paint code on my car has 4 different shades. all look the same but slight variant of the same colour. my bodyshop had test cards of each paint code options and we spent an hour trying to work out which one was the closest to the original colour. its about 99% perfect there is a faint difference in colour but its not easy to tell.

did your bodyshop check testers against the car.

mine sprayed twice as the first time the colour came out diffenret to the tester, but it didn't cost me as it was their problem not mine.

if they sprayed it wrong its their problem to fix. don't pay for it if it isn't right

I've found the colour code WV2 previously on the site, cheers.

The paint shop checked the colour chart against my car first and against my cars Vin, but once painted it came out different.

They said if they are at fault then they'll re-paint for free, but by going by my Vin, the colour is shown as 'starburst silver' and that's what they've used. I mentioned that a 350Z doesn't come in this colour, but their system says different.

So... without getting Nissan to confirm this is incorrect, I can't really get exited and kick off, unless I find otherwise.

The paint shop said they'll mix a colour to match the rest of my car, as I must have the wrong paint mixed from the off (factory) against my Vin. But, this will cost me.

My petrol cap has been painted at some point before I owned my car I think, as this too is lighter than the rest of my car, but only noticeable when pointed out.

I'm looking onto this over the weekend and going back to see them on Monday.

IMHO any professional paintshop should paint the bumper to match the car.

Unusual that the paint code is incorrect but never the less that is an extremely lame excuse by the paintshop and very unprofessional.

The bumper should be repainted at there expense.

Perhaps you should have a closer look at the plate and make sure that the VIN matches up. :scare:

I've found the colour code WV2 previously on the site, cheers.

The paint shop checked the colour chart against my car first and against my cars Vin, but once painted it came out different.

They said if they are at fault then they'll re-paint for free, but by going by my Vin, the colour is shown as 'starburst silver' and that's what they've used. I mentioned that a 350Z doesn't come in this colour, but their system says different.

So... without getting Nissan to confirm this is incorrect, I can't really get exited and kick off, unless I find otherwise.

The paint shop said they'll mix a colour to match the rest of my car, as I must have the wrong paint mixed from the off (factory) against my Vin. But, this will cost me.

My petrol cap has been painted at some point before I owned my car I think, as this too is lighter than the rest of my car, but only noticeable when pointed out.

I'm looking onto this over the weekend and going back to see them on Monday.

The petrol cap is normal. I've rarely seen a good match on Zeds.

See this viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16189&hilit=paint+code

As for the paint variant, the same paint code issued by Nissan has two variants. A dark and a light. The light has 'more yellow' in, apparently. Mine is the lighter version, and the skirts are too. The front bumper had been painted in the D variant. Worth checking out before any GM owners have paintwork done.

ON my Vin the colour code is WV2 G

Is this a specific shade of the Grey?

Going by Robs post It looks as id D and G exist. D perhaps being the lighter shade???

If they have painted it in D instead of G (simply going by WV2) then it might well be showing the symptoms that you describe......

Just an idea.

:lol: No probs with my vin matching my V5 etc, checked before I purchased my car, and recently!

Only thing is, on my V5 and first MOT my colour is down as Silver, not Grey. I have a silver car, and have parked next to a silver 350z, and my car is Grey.

Do I have the wrong colour on my Vin for my car?

Every Insurance quote (ever) shows my car as a 296 when I give the reg. no. but it is definately a mk1 pre-facelift so should be a 276.

Do I have a pig of a car????? :bangin:

:lol: No probs with my vin matching my V5 etc, checked before I purchased my car, and recently!

Only thing is, on my V5 and first MOT my colour is down as Silver, not Grey. I have a silver car, and have parked next to a silver 350z, and my car is Grey.

Do I have the wrong colour on my Vin for my car?

Every Insurance quote (ever) shows my car as a 296 when I give the reg. no. but it is definately a mk1 pre-facelift so should be a 276.

Do I have a pig of a car????? :bangin:

( I mean I currently have a silver VW Golf)

ON my Vin the colour code is WV2 G

Is this a specific shade of the Grey?

Going by Robs post It looks as id D and G exist. D perhaps being the lighter shade???

If they have painted it in D instead of G (simply going by WV2) then it might well be showing the symptoms that you describe......

Just an idea.

Fing good idea. Cheers dude.

Well done! :thumbs: I'll put this to them tomorrow!