Fitted Japspeed shortshifter and y-pipe today!!!

GT4 Zed

Short shifter

My first impressions are that this kit is very good and well made. I have only tested it for normal driving and a few standing starts working ferociously up the gearbox to double figures :scare: so far and its delightful and crisp! Obvoiusly I would need to test it for A/B fast road and track to concluded which is why i got it in the first place B)

Fitting was straightforwards with needing a 10mm and twelve socket and nothing else. The only dampener is to get under the car which is best done on a ramp to disengage the gear stick fro the gear linkage :) I paid a local garage £20 for use of their ramp and was done in under 45 including fiiting the y-pipe :teeth: ) The kit contains all what you need and i will post pics on friday to illustrate the fiiting sequence and what goes where ;)

The fit is spot on and there is no play or vagueness though it is a bit too notchy but i guess this will go away with use in no time. All gears slot-in precisely with a quick flick even with two finger except for 6th which seems closer to 4th now and reverse is also slightly imprecise but i reckon it is because the OEM spring is a tad thight in the housing of the shortshifter and will free up with use. My Clutch action is largerly unchanged for normal driving and with shifting up the box it's lots of fun keeping up with how quick i am banging the gears in!

At 40% reduction in throw it is a massive improvement from OEM and you notice immediately :thumbs: Reminds me of my mates' 997 turbo.

This is a cheapish must have mod for the avid fast road or track enthusiast or for the daily driver who seeks sporty feel.

Y-pipe

Not much to say which this known quantity :lol: good buid quality. Good fit. Easy dIY project with axle stands but preferably on a ramp :thumbs: Comes with three new gaskets and complete set of bolts and mated nicely to the K1 and Berk HFC.

When i first started the car, everyone in this busy tuning shop took notice B) the sound is just unbelievable and just improves the quality of the K1 but not any louder on normal driver but one you rev past 3K or downshift a cog or two it is better than a ferrari. i am in love again with my K1 :cloud9:

From a performance stand point the midrange seems fuller and eager but it may just be subjective but something has change and it is in a good way. Bring on the dyno :boxing:

the notcheness doest go, and just a word of advice, if u ever find that u crunch your gears, change the shifter back, it will murder your syncros and need a rebuild, depends how aggressive you drive though, you may never crunch it.

Yep, I know someone else that had an issue with one of these... Or an unbranded Chinaspeed one.. It made it very easy to go from 5th to reverse!

As the others have said, the notchiness from what I've read is either its not adjusted properly or its just a poor piece of kit (not alluding to which btw ;) ). As ersen says, watch it or it will kill the sycros. I remember a write up on Zchicks I think which said about adjusting it properly, which needs it to be up on stands as its done from below. Might have been Tere that posted it.

I believe the reverse issue is usually down to the gate not being alligned properly, so if you have that issue, just whip the trim off and adjust it properly from in the car.

Not always, Some gearboxes dont like being forced ans some dont like be forced quickly either. In the 172 gearboxes no matter what short shifter you use b&m, ktec, quikshift etc they all make the box nothcy and kill the syncro as they dont like to be changed really quickly. Just because it doesnt cost 300pounds and say HKS on it, doesnt mean its not good. Far far far too much brand snobbery on here (carbon plenum).

Not always, Some gearboxes dont like being forced ans some dont like be forced quickly either. In the 172 gearboxes no matter what short shifter you use b&m, ktec, quikshift etc they all make the box nothcy and kill the syncro as they dont like to be changed really quickly. Just because it doesnt cost 300pounds and say HKS on it, doesnt mean its not good. Far far far too much brand snobbery on here (carbon plenum).

172 Gearbox?

Oh and HKS dont make short shifters!! The 3 that I have driven with shortshifters by b+m have been spot on..

Not really brand snobbery is it when you buy something and its dosnt do the work its intended for... you can buy this exact kit not chispeed branded for $15 brand new from the states... Somehow think a 30k car is worth a bit more than a $15 shitter, sorry shifter!!! Shows the markup really dosnt it!

Oh and a bit of web research will bring up a few forums where people have had issues.. Guessing on this its the case of the possibility of a £500 repair build or £150 for a Nismo or a B&M in the first place!

172 Gearbox?

Oh and HKS dont make short shifters!! The 3 that I have driven with shortshifters by b+m have been spot on..

Not really brand snobbery is it when you buy something and its dosnt do the work its intended for... you can buy this exact kit not chispeed branded for $15 brand new from the states... Somehow think a 30k car is worth a bit more than a $15 shitter, sorry shifter!!! Shows the markup really dosnt it!

Oh and a bit of web research will bring up a few forums where people have had issues.. Guessing on this its the case of the possibility of a £500 repair build or £150 for a Nismo or a B&M in the first place!

He's talking about the Clio sport 172 I think mate

From what I remember Tere posting (very knowledgable member from the States for those of you that dont know her), she said that the shift should be spot on (as is with the B+M if set up right). So while I agree "some" cars might not like it, the Zed can be set up properly if using quality kit. Thats why I said either its not fitted right or its not quality kit, I didnt state which ;)

From what I remember Tere posting (very knowledgable member from the States for those of you that dont know her), she said that the shift should be spot on (as is with the B+M if set up right). So while I agree "some" cars might not like it, the Zed can be set up properly if using quality kit. Thats why I said either its not fitted right or its not quality kit, I didnt state which ;)

Ahh cool. You see that the type of answer I would expect from a forum with knowledgable members. Instead of is it expensive? No well then its crap. Also sorry Chris didnt mean to say you was one of those people as you didnt say anything of the sort.

Ahh cool. You see that the type of answer I would expect from a forum with knowledgable members. Instead of is it expensive? No well then its crap. Also sorry Chris didnt mean to say you was one of those people as you didnt say anything of the sort.

Soooo when has anyone ever said its good cause its expensive? I dont think thats ever been the case!! Perhaps thats your perception.... With this part for example, when the tried, tested and developed ones cost £150 and then you get one that can cost $15 it only takes a modicum of inteligence to realise why one would cost more and its nothing to do with the brand name! These are hi spec, accute tollerence, moving parts of a car that are being used on a daily basis that connect to a bloody expensive bit of kit.. How about asking someone like Adam at Z1 if he would sell you a chispeed part... I think the answer would be no as he has a reputation for selling quality, not just buying a large quantity cheep and then rebranding it!

I think you will also find that there is alot of knowledgable members that have tried this stuff in the past or have knowledge from experience, rather than just reading things and quoting other members, that havnt posted in this thread or infact this forum... Its not my car its being fitted on so I dont really care!

Soooo when has anyone ever said its good cause its expensive?

Look at your avatar end of :bangin:

:headhurt: owned... :lol:

Think your gonna have to come up with a better argument than that mate... Does "I pity the fool that rocks fakes" say good cause its expensive? Far from it... Thats simply my opinion regarding people buying parts that have no quality control, no R+D and no real customer control!! They dont even attempt to make things better in any way.. They just copy someone elses hard work. I suppose that you could call it stealing!

Feel free to take a little more time as it dosnt look as though you spent much time on that one ;)

WTF. Was that a serious response? :lol:

OMFG, can't believe the mess have caused :teeth:

Test complete and i can fully say the japspeed short shifter (cost £59.99) will be staying on my car :lol:

I had Husky out tonight and will leave him to express his thoughts :thumbs: I just got him to appreciate how 325FWHP and big brakes/coilies can transform a zed especially if you sprinkle in the D1 controller and a short shifter to the mix :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: It is just soo so reponsive and pulls relentlessly to redline in any gear :scare:

Needless to say i spent the day at thor racing live mapping and it is SAFE to use the D1 controller with the UTEC piggy back.

Before any request for dyno graphs, i will resist until final fine tune on the 30th of Nov :teeth:

Did you not get the map changer for the utec then Bennett? Got a cool security feature on it... ;)

No Chart = Fail... Just get it up... will be good to see the process as that sounds like a good result... What was the cost of mapping the UTEC? You got a revup havnt you?

F@ck the chart fiddy it made me pee my pants :teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth:

i hate it when it gets all pissy when someone is willing to put thier c@ck on the line to test something new. we should all be behind it eager for the results good or bad, not pissing all over it untill proved wrong. so what, if it goes badly you get to be the person who said "i told you so", id much rather be the person with the balls to try something new and say "at least we gave it a go!".

bottom line: i was exceptionally impressed with the car! was like a different machine, obviously substantially better, pulling brilliantly right up through the revs (i had my eye on the needle the whole time). i may recover eventually from the RIDICULOUS brakes which made me laugh they were so good :lol: .

we were out on my daily commute roads, i know them like the back of my hand so they were a perfect comparison, i know what speeds etc my stock car is capable of at every point and this was a totally different beast.

PS: im in a grumpy mood if i come across a bit blunt :lol:

Did you not get the map changer for the utec then Bennett? Got a cool security feature on it... ;)

No Chart = Fail... Just get it up... will be good to see the process as that sounds like a good result... What was the cost of mapping the UTEC? You got a revup havnt you?

No remote map changer yet but will get one ordered :thumbs:

security :ninja: Yup Map 7 ;)

All will be revealed soon Mark, patience.

Got the revup :D

Thor racing charges at £100phr. They are a very good bunch and know their stuff. Peter has big plans for the 350z crowd from 2010. Both NA or FI B)

all sounds good the tuning on your Revup motored 350z GT4 Zed , I presume you have a MREV lower collector fitted?

I know Peter well @ Thor we supplied him his Dynapack a few years ago. I have not used a Utec yet but they must work well , only thing I can get my head aroud is how it copes with the learning side of the STD ECU ( this isnt to upset this thread ) just like some answers to allow my brain to understand the system.

The STD ecu reads the fuelling (in AFR) via the pre cat Lambda,s so even if you tweak the fuelling ( I presume on UTEC by offsetting the Air flow meter voltage) you will adjust the fuelling until the STD tries to retune to get the correct fuelling ( STD ecu reads in AFR )

When you tuned the car how many runs do you do the allow the car to sort out the self learn , we find that you need 5/6 runs once you have reprogrammed the ECU for the car to self learn sufficently to give a proper dyno run , the 1st 3/4 runs will be down on BHP and Torque as the car slowly tunes itself towards the figures you have in the ECU.

Good thread , looks like we will start on an extensive tuning program with a RevUp motor soon , may even run some E85 or race fuel.

Roll on 2010 should be a good year.

Hi Mark,

most of your questions cannot be answered right now as we peter has not finetuned/dyno tuned my car yet :thumbs: the UTEC piggy i have came off a revup that has almost identical mods to mine bar y-pipe and MREV :p this was tuned by Peter :thumbs:

we just swapped the utec and fired it up and it ran very smooth and pulls well. the dyno figures was just an initial run to see if i made comparable numbers to the previous zed. we also did some live data logging to see where things can be improved and make sure it's all safe especially when i turned the D1 spec controller on :scare: everything was fine and there is room for improvement since the original map was on 97 octane full :thumbdown: We plan for a full finetune/mapping next monday and all will be revealed. i will cover with Peter some of the points you raised :teeth:

Cheers

Bennett

Hi Mark,

most of your questions cannot be answered right now as we peter has not finetuned/dyno tuned my car yet :thumbs: the UTEC piggy i have came off a revup that has almost identical mods to mine bar y-pipe and MREV :p this was tuned by Peter :thumbs:

we just swapped the utec and fired it up and it ran very smooth and pulls well. the dyno figures was just an initial run to see if i made comparable numbers to the previous zed. we also did some live data logging to see where things can be improved and make sure it's all safe especially when i turned the D1 spec controller on :scare: everything was fine and there is room for improvement since the original map was on 97 octane full :thumbdown: We plan for a full finetune/mapping next monday and all will be revealed. i will cover with Peter some of the points you raised :teeth:

Cheers

Bennett

Any idea on what the hub numbers were?