Prssure washer

350newbie

Looking to buy a pressure washer but I don't understand what I really need. There are loads on the market all with different pressure levels etc, I am only looking to clean my car with it and maybe the drive every now and then so what would you advise? Also do they all allow you to use Foam ? and how does that work ?

Most power washers these day's work with a foam apllication whether you add this on to the lance or it will connect to the water supply giving you a straight mix.

You may want to try Karcher they seem to be quite good. I would only use a 100bar K2 system. This can will clean your car quite well and any other feature like walls driveways may be time consuming tho. One things for sure tho do not stand really close to your car as you may strip the paintwork.

The best way really to wash your car is by using the good old manual method (bucket soap). If you use the power washer the right way it saves alot of time. :thumbs:

Yeah a ssimple Karcher pressure washer would suffice, I run one using a foam lance and PH Neutral Snow Foam from the website below (in fact the 350Z pictured is mine, to give you an idea of the thickness).

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/foam-lance-various-fittings/prod_371.html

Here's the method you should use:

1. Jet down with water first to wet the car, remove dirt / dust / debris from body, under arches etc.

2. Bang the foam lance on, 1cm of foam solution and filled to the top with warm water, completely cover the car and allow to soak for 5 mins.

3. Thoroughly rinse

4. I then fully foam it again, but with some shampoo also in the solution, and then proceed to wash from top to bottom with a microfibre wash mit (using a two bucket method i.e. one bucket with your suds in and one for rinsing your mit (to get rid of any grit it picks up).

5. Rinse down fully.

6. Wash the wheels

7. Dry the car using terry towels / microfibres and buff up

... then go on to do whatever polishing you're doing (if) and Robert's your mothers brother :thumbs:

I found it halved the time of my usual routine. I also used the foamer to do all my house windows & doors too, it's bloody good fun and addictive :teeth:

Hope that helps!

One thing with the karcher is try and get one with the soap holder and also a vario lance.. And dont use the attachemnt with the cone head as you may change the colour of parts of your car ;)

Soap holded makes things a little easier and saves time, vario lance is a worthwhile bit of kit as you can vary the pressure of the jet...

One thing with the karcher is try and get one with the soap holder and also a vario lance.. And dont use the attachemnt with the cone head as you may change the colour of parts of your car ;)

Soap holded makes things a little easier and saves time, vario lance is a worthwhile bit of kit as you can vary the pressure of the jet...

+1 :thumbs:

Yeah a ssimple Karcher pressure washer would suffice, I run one using a foam lance and PH Neutral Snow Foam from the website below (in fact the 350Z pictured is mine, to give you an idea of the thickness).

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/foam-lance-various-fittings/prod_371.html

Here's the method you should use:

1. Jet down with water first to wet the car, remove dirt / dust / debris from body, under arches etc.

2. Bang the foam lance on, 1cm of foam solution and filled to the top with warm water, completely cover the car and allow to soak for 5 mins.

3. Thoroughly rinse

4. I then fully foam it again, but with some shampoo also in the solution, and then proceed to wash from top to bottom with a microfibre wash mit (using a two bucket method i.e. one bucket with your suds in and one for rinsing your mit (to get rid of any grit it picks up).

5. Rinse down fully.

6. Wash the wheels

7. Dry the car using terry towels / microfibres and buff up

... then go on to do whatever polishing you're doing (if) and Robert's your mothers brother :thumbs:

I found it halved the time of my usual routine. I also used the foamer to do all my house windows & doors too, it's bloody good fun and addictive :teeth:

Hope that helps!

Really you shouldnt do step one as your dragging dirt across the paint work at high pressure. Thats the whole point of the foam.

If you do want to wet it before hand dont use the pressure washer, use the rose of the watering can.

• 3 months later...

i got warned off karcher, bought a baby bosch from B&Q instead for about £60 its been great, does the job and not massivly expensive.

heard several people say karchers break easily, some have had water freeze inside them and break internally even when they have been kept in a shed/garage.

i got warned off karcher, bought a baby bosch from B&Q instead for about £60 its been great, does the job and not massivly expensive.

heard several people say karchers break easily, some have had water freeze inside them and break internally even when they have been kept in a shed/garage.

Easy way round that and it can happen to all PW's is when your done, leave the PW on, remove hose and water the flowers with the remaining water so it runs dry...

Had 4 karchers now, non broken, donated them to others when I have upgraded and they are all still fine.

They had these at Costco the other day for about £150 instead of about £350

k6.75MB+.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Dont bother with Karcher they will just break, the pumps are plastic and break quite commonly. Go for a nilfisk, roughly the same price and they have metal pumps, I would go for at least 100 bar :thumbs:

I would get this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nilfisk-C120-4- ... 680&sr=1-4

R

Just an update but not all Karchers have plastic pumps or fans. Had to take mine to bits the other day as I tried to use it when it had been frozen (g/f had left it with water in!), have now got a very ghetto rigged karcher as I had to rebuild it!!

Serves me right for rushing to use my new snowfoam lance!!

I was in a garden/machinery shop yesterday and saw the same pressure washer as I use in orange wearing a stihl badge...... and a 599.99 price tag!

Not sure if it was just the casing that was the same or if it shared internals though.

I got a Nilfisk ALTO C120 from Screwfix yesterday and foam lance from Matt@i4detailing, was great fun foaming the Ibiza as a test drive for it :teeth: From what I gather its flowrate that makes the big difference with foam, and this little thing kicks out 500l/ph which you need to spend far more to get from a Karcher.

Also got loads of Dodo bits and bobs, neighbours think I'm sponsored by them now. More great service from Matt, got a little extra pressie and of course bubblegum, all good with his dicount for the club :#1: