Tyres

Ian W

Hi All.

This is my first post.

I recently ditched the company car having had enough of driving diesel's and bought

an 08 plate Black 350Z GT Coupe.

I have covered approx 11,000 miles and need to replace the rear tyres. I was thinking

of putting on Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's but have headr they can be very noisy. Has

any body any experiance with these tyres on the 350Z ?

I've got them on mine and they are amazing! No noticeable irritating road noise that i'm aware of and the grip is sensational (you'll notice a big difference if going from the standard Bridgestones).

The best bit is the fact you can drive these through winter without any real lose of confidence and grip. The tread is big - more than enough to let tons of water run through them.

They last for ages too! Highly recommend them.

Pricey, but worth it (they'll last almost twice as long if just general driving). :)

don't mix and match across axles you'll get 2 different grips front and rear, and run the risk of turning your car into a ditch finding missle.

also not sure the eagle F1's make the right tyre size for the rear axle. think they do them fro the front sbut not the rears.

anubis can run them as he has 19" wheels and they make them in that size.

As much as a fan I am of Goodyear F1's, I would not put GSD3's on, I would go for the Assimetric pattern.

Of recent times Goodyear have moved manufacture of the remaining GSD3 sizes they still produce to China and my personal experience is they are not as good as they used to be when they were made in Germany. Problems I've experienced are tyres going out of shape, irregular wear, grip level far reduced than previous set (which was made in Germany).

This experience was a year or so ago, so production might be better now.

As much as a fan I am of Goodyear F1's, I would not put GSD3's on, I would go for the Assimetric pattern.

Unfortunately they don't make those in the correct sizes for the rear, as I was looking for a set at the weekend. :(

Thats what I thought when I looked a few months ago

I have Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's and I'm very pleased with the grip on them. (they look good too B) )

Unfortunately they don't make those in the correct sizes for the rear, as I was looking for a set at the weekend. :(

They make them in the rear for standard wheels 245/45Y18 but not the front.

This seems to be the case with most top line tyres (Mich & Conti excluded) Pirelli make the P Zero in the rear fitment (absolutely fantastic tyre), but not the front, they only make the P Zero Rosso (don't like).

It's the same when you fit 19"s ( 245/35/19 275/35/19 ).

IMO Nissan should have put 225/40/18 and 245/40/18 on as standard, as there is a much wider range of tyres available matching front and rear.

I want to try fitting these sizes but on the other hand I don't want to try as it might upset the stability control (being as sensitve as it is) as the rolling radius would be too far adrift and I think the wheels will look lost in the arches wihout the car being lowered.

If anyone has experience of running these sizes I would be interested to know if its affected anything and how it looks. (im sure i've read somewhere someone has fitteed these sizes, but I could be imagining it!!)

They make them in the rear for standard wheels 245/45Y18 but not the front.

My bad, wrong way round :oops:

Greekman runs the 40 profile and reports no issues. I myself have doubts over the sizes as well (nothing to do with Greekman before anyone jumps to conclusions!) as like you I fear the ESP is going to have a hissy fit and get it's knickers in a knot.

i'd say go for the vredestein ultrac sessantas, i have them too, great tyre, good grip, better than the reo40's

You got them on now? Ooh, we need to meet up so I can feel what they're like, might well be replacing the PS2s on mine next time round if they're any good :D

i'd say go for the vredestein ultrac sessantas, i have them too, great tyre, good grip, better than the reo40's

You got them on now? Ooh, we need to meet up so I can feel what they're like, might well be replacing the PS2s on mine next time round if they're any good :D

I'd be interested to know what you think on the Vredesteins, they do get very good reviews in tyre tests and online reviews but most are fitted to front wheel drive so the way the tyre performs could be quite different to a RWD car.

Has anybody tracked a set of Ultrac Ssantas, what are they like on the limit?

don't mix and match across axles you'll get 2 different grips front and rear, and run the risk of turning your car into a ditch finding missle.

also not sure the eagle F1's make the right tyre size for the rear axle. think they do them fro the front sbut not the rears.

anubis can run them as he has 19" wheels and they make them in that size.

You are spot on. I had been offered the Eagle F1's to suit the standard 18" rims but have now been told they have been discontinued. I think I will save myself a lot of hassle and stick with the original Bridgestone's.

Thanks for your help. :clap:

I think that the standard fit Bridgestones are generally poorly regarded by most on here

I would like to change from the Bridgestones but dont have the cash to replace fronts

and rears (tax is due this month) together and I am worried about having different

tryes on the front and rear especially after reading a few of the earlier comments.

I had brand new vredesteins on the front and old bridgestones on the back for a few months and had no problems at all. It sounds like its luck of the draw as to whether you get traction control issues.

I think that the standard fit Bridgestones are generally poorly regarded by most on here

I think that applies to the RE040s, my RE050's are good in the wet and the dry, just get lots of road noise on poor surfaces

The 040s were very good in the dry and excellent for dry track days but dangerous in the wet!!! In fact i am wondering why nissan was selling the Z in the wet UK with 040s on!!! :scare:

I went through 3 full sets of ps2s after the 040s but on 40prof all over. I had no issues whatsoever with the ESP and i mean no probs at all!! Superb tyres on cornering, braking and wet, quite good on acceleration. Very soft tyres tho which means that 2 average dry track days were all they could handle....plus i lost the crispness of the steering that i had with the stock 040s despite the fact that i went for 40prof and not 45. The only reason i went from 45 to 40 was the huge price difference.

Just got some new 050As all over. I have done about 150 miles so far.

Now i had the 050As on 45 prof fitted the steering is fantastic again! Its a harder tyre with much harder sidewall. They are a bit better on acceleration than the ps2s. worse on braking and slightly worse on cornering. However, i will be able to have a good idea after my 2 track days in november and once i do a few more miles and scrub them in properly.

Road noise is better now i would say but then again i dont think i should be comparing 40 to 45 prof tyres.

Price wise the 050As 45 prof were a bit more expensive but he gave them to me at the same price as the ps2s. £726. Still cheaper than the 45prof ps2s.

One last thing...i am using nitrogen 35psi all over and i would swear that for some reason the 050As seem somehow more inflated than the ps2s.... :dry:

Till now and after having 040s, ps2s and 050s i can say that you cant beat the ps2s for safety and overall grip. They are so bloody expensive tho especially the 45s...

If anybody can compare the ps2s with other brands i would love to hear. :blush:

In any case i hope this helps. :thumbs:

got a meet on the 15th november if you can make it, you can come and take it out for a spin. i'll try and get to you earlier if i can.

i love them, great grip car feels very planted, side walls are nice and stiff, feels very strong in the corners. no tire roll like i'v felt on things like the toyos. tail doesn't kick out like it was on the bridgestones, but that could be down to the fact theyt had very little tread on them.