Effects of Ibuprofen?

zxtreme

Just wondering if you can do yourself damage by consuming 'slightly' too much Ibuprofen? I've got chronic toothache at the moment and the only cure is slightly more than the recommended dose of the above. I've just started getting man flu but also a heavy chest, almost like indegestion. Is it the medication???? No replies stating go to the dentist please, they're the whole reason I've got the toothe ache in the first place :(

Cheers,

Andy

Depends how big a chap you are too!

I get migraines all the time and the doctor allows me to take slightly more than prescribed in normal over the counter doses. Should be ok taking a bit more just dont do it on an empty stomache.

But you will be better to stack Ibuprofen and paracetamol. http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/857.aspx?Ca ... goryID=103

I'm sure the doctors on here will advise if this is sensible but u can take Ibuprofen and paracetamol at the same time.

For best effect stagger them so you are getting pain relief every 2 hours. Then there is no need to take over the stated dosage.

I recommend my patients to stagger them, you can take them at the same time but wouldn't go over the stated maximums in 24hrs. Some people are sensitive to certain types of pain killers, especially NSAIDS (Which ibuprofen is), and although the size of the person may occasionally come into it, its not a hard and fast rule that the bigger you are, the more you can take.

Never good to take too many of these. The better approach is something like Tiger Balm which will attack the pain directly with no side effects. The chesty bit could be anything but the tabs wont help.

Change dentist Andy, I have had two teeth out and two root canals this year and havent felt a thing.

Pop up and see Greekman. :thumbs: ( But dont take Saz :lol: )

take it from a dentist- go back to ur dentist

like said alternate between brufen/paracetamol without going over, avoid chewing on that tooth, sleep with an extra pillow if its worse at night but make sure u call them back in the morning. if u lose the tooth so be it, u wont have toothache lol

iv had 2 members on here see me in the space of a couple of weeks- i can book u in 2moro and make it a hatrick?

take it from a dentist- go back to ur dentist

like said alternate between brufen/paracetamol without going over, avoid chewing on that tooth, sleep with an extra pillow if its worse at night but make sure u call them back in the morning. if u lose the tooth so be it, u wont have toothache lol

iv had 2 members on here see me in the space of a couple of weeks- i can book u in 2moro and make it a hatrick?

You're too far away - do you do mobile? :lol:

Been staggering them 400mg every 2 hrs instead of 4. I know thats not exactly staggering but paracetamol does sweet FA for me :( How does Co-codamol rate against Iboprofen?

Whatver the case, sounds like my discomfort is down to ODing on the Ibuprofen :(

Cheers,

Andy

im not a fan of the dentist, nothing against you dentists but im not a fan of going. i managed to drag myself there months back but then moved house and havent updated my address. im sure they are chasing me and will cancel me off soon for not appearing. just dont like it :( i have healthy teeth he told me though. still :scare: i should prob go back shouldnt i :cry:

sorry slightly on a tangent there

I recommend my patients to stagger them, you can take them at the same time but wouldn't go over the stated maximums in 24hrs. Some people are sensitive to certain types of pain killers, especially NSAIDS (Which ibuprofen is), and although the size of the person may occasionally come into it, its not a hard and fast rule that the bigger you are, the more you can take.

As my colleague states above! :thumbs:

Max dose for ibuprofen is 2.4gr for adults which means max 400mg every 4h. you can take max 3gr of paracetamol a day as well which means 500mg every 4h or 1gr every 8h. and you can combine them if you want to. ibuprofen is the NSAID with the least gastrointestinal side effects but that doesnt mean there arent any!!!

painkillers in dentistry are used for 1-7 days.

Neither me or any other colleague i believe, would recommend anything on a thread or over the phone as a thorough medical history check is needed to do so. Thats because although you can buy those painkillers over the counter, they are still medicines and as such they are prescribed by us.

Go and see your dentist and speak to him/her. I am more than happy to help as well, if you dont mind driving to hull. I will be here all weekend but for sunday morning when you will find me at the Yorkshire Z meet at Xscape!!! :clap:

and possibly still over the limit!!!! :drunk::lol:

Max dose for ibuprofen is 2.4gr for adults which means max 400mg every 4h. you can take max 3gr of paracetamol a day as well which means 500mg every 4h or 1gr every 8h. and you can combine them if you want to. ibuprofen is the NSAID with the least gastrointestinal side effects but that doesnt mean there arent any!!!

Neither me or any other colleague i believe, would recommend anything on a thread or over the phone as a thorough medical history check is needed to do so. Thats because although you can buy those painkillers over the counter, they are still medicines and as such they are prescribed by us.

Go and see your dentist and speak to him/her. I am more than happy to help as well, if you dont mind driving to hull. I will be here all weekend but for sunday morning when you will find me at the Yorkshire Z meet at Xscape!!! :clap:

Fancy bringing your drill and pliers to Xscape? lol (Oh and don't forget the drugs :lol:)

Fancy bringing your drill and pliers to Xscape? lol (Oh and don't forget the drugs :lol:)

Would be fun....if you dont mind my breath stinking of Jack Daniels and a fag stuck on the bottom lip....just like the good old times!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thank god i've got Denplan - the thought of greekman and his drill in a car park.............. :scare:

oh i do denplan as well.... ;):lol:

and btw i only need the screwdriver and the pliers from the boot!!!! :evil:

:headhurt: Dentists are sick evil people :evil: Had an issue with teeth ever since that Dustin Hoffman film, or whoever it was.

Cocodamol rocks :teeth: