Suspension recommendations?

jables

Guys, I'm after a new suspension setup and need some advice :) I only use the car on the road (no track days) but feel the Z's handling could be tightened up. Something a bit stiffer, but crucially I really want to avoid lowering the car, if possible? Not really fussed about adjustability. Any thoughts?

Chris

To be honest with you, if you don't want adjustability and you want to keep standard ride height and you're not doing track days I'm not sure there's much benefit in upgrading the suspension. I find the standard setup more than adequate for general/fast road use. Hopefully others with an upgraded setup can offer their opinion too :thumbs:

if your trying to stiffen up the car without lowering it then go and get the full summit underbody bracing set, Rik sells them for about £450, it should take some of the roll out of the car and improve your cornering. Speaking to Eknoa who has this fitted and tracks his car says it makes a noticable difference to handling. i think its easier to hold the back end out and with more control. tighter into the corners and just generally sharper handling.

PM ekona for more info i'm sure he'd be happy to fill you in

if your trying to stiffen up the car without lowering it then go and get the full summit underbody bracing set, Rik sells them for about £450, it should take some of the roll out of the car and improve your cornering. Speaking to Eknoa who has this fitted and tracks his car says it makes a noticable difference to handling. i think its easier to hold the back end out and with more control. tighter into the corners and just generally sharper handling.

PM ekona for more info i'm sure he'd be happy to fill you in

Another option is:

Do the full car set of Whiteline Poly suspension bushs. This transforms the handling, and will not affect height, geometry or ride quality. I'd go firstly for this option, as the OEM bushs will be worn. :thumbs:

The option I would go for is some new anti rollbars. That'll sort you out nicely without breaking the bank. Body bracing is pointless unless on a track car, and bushes wont make as big a difference as ARBs and springs :thumbs:

Springs will make a big difference too, but they all lower the car.

Body bracing is pointless unless on a track car

I would humbly disagree: My car spends 90% of it's life on the road, and the bracing has made more of a difference than I ever thought possible. It gives you so much more feel from the chassis that you can push it further than you ever thought possible, confident in the knowledge that it'll give you more than enough warning for when anything starts to let go. That confidence alone is worth more than a few tenths wherever you are, road or track. Bear in mind I'm on stock suspension as well and I hate to think just how good the car would be with some really decent suspension on there...

That said, and to answer the OPs question, I think that your suggestion of just doing the ARBs is a pretty good alternative as well. If you choose the right ones and don't go too stiff, then you'll actively increase the cornering ability of the car without suffering from wheels trying to jump off the road when one side hits a bump. Jables, if all you want to do is to go faster with more control then personally I'd spend the budget on tyres (I love the Michelin PS2s for their feel and wet handling charateristics, but these are proving hard to get hold of in the correct sizes recently so I would also look at the Vredestien Ultrac Sessantas), if you want more feel but with increased body stiffness then the Summit/ GT Spec bracing pack (same thing essentially) is the way to go, or if you just want a little sharper drive through the corners then the ARBs is a great solution.

In an ideal world though, you'd do the lot and I'd argue that the car would be a whole lot better to drive than just sticking an expensive set of suspension on there, but that's another story...

Ekona: Good feedback on the body bracing :thumbs: The reports I had heard before said it didnt do a lot for on the road.

I beleive KW V3s lower the car by 20-30mm at their highest, so unfortunately I guess they would be out of the OPs specs. Not sure how much (if anything) BCs lower it, but they could be a good shout.