Most efficient cruising speed?

Rob_Quads

As the realtime MPG monitor is fairly crap does anyone know what the most efficient cruising speed is in 6th gear?

Got a 500 mile round journey coming up and are in no hurry so happy to set the old cruise control to what ever speed makes the car happiest?

Is it around 80?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the realtime MPG monitor is fairly crap does anyone know what the most efficient cruising speed is in 6th gear?

Got a 500 mile round journey coming up and are in no hurry so happy to set the old cruise control to what ever speed makes the car happiest?

Is it around 80?

60mph I'd say but don't quote me :)

Easy way of telling, reset the trip computer at both speeds for 10miles and post us the answer :blush: Not exactly sure what the optimum is...

Hmm sounds like its time to play the games. Don't think I will go down to 60mph. Might to from 70 - 80 in 2mph intervals and see what the results are like.

Well you've got 500 miles to play with ;) Plus if you can be bothered to do this and post results you may save members £££ :teeth:

have been doing LOTS of miles in the past few months, I can safely say that the best MPG on my car can be reached on a speed that doesn't go over 80mph. In fact the best would be around 60mph (>31mpg) but it takes ages to get where you need to go :lol:

Between 70-75mph I average 29.5-30.3 mpg B)

Also you could use less fuel by not using cruise controll. I'm not sure about the 350's cruise, but its proven due to the ECU changing the fueling so many time a second that you get upto 2+ miles less per gallon.

Apparantly this is due to the fact that when you drive, you just hold your foot in the same palce so the injector cycle remains more constant. Obvisously this only counts for driving at a fixed speed (and on a long journey would be painful IMHO :wacko:)

Be interested to know what peeps get on a constant drive, between the two?

Andy

I cruised from Manchester back down to London Sunday afternoon, did 120mph almost all the way, don’t know what the MPG was like but it used over half a tank, probably best to stay below 120 then.

You must be in the record books then :thumbs:

The engine is at it's most efficient at it's torque peak - so that's around 4000rpm in std form (I think - check), whatever speed that is in 6th. However you then have to factor in wind and rolling resistance which is not a linear relationship with speed (ie going from 60-70 mph uses a lot less energy than going from 70-80).

That is the joy of science - sounds impressive, but I still don't know what the answer is :D:blush::D

The engine is at it's most efficient at it's torque peak - so that's around 4000rpm in std form (I think - check), whatever speed that is in 6th. However you then have to factor in wind and rolling resistance which is not a linear relationship with speed (ie going from 60-70 mph uses a lot less energy than going from 70-80).

That is the joy of science - sounds impressive, but I still don't know what the answer is :D:blush::D

I am sure that in 6th at 4000rpm you will be doing approx 100mph. Just seem to recall that when I had to keep my car below 4000rpm.

I cruised from Manchester back down to London Sunday afternoon, did 120mph almost all the way, don’t know what the MPG was like but it used over half a tank, probably best to stay below 120 then.

you still have a licence I take it?? :p

I cruised from Manchester back down to London Sunday afternoon, did 120mph almost all the way

Why :surrender: Hope you don't feel proud about that :thumbdown:

My zed cruises at about 3250 rpm @ about 80 mph and find this the best speed to conserve petrol. On my journey back down from Newcastle to brum I used less than half a tank and did 211 mile!! :thumbs:

Well, maybe this might help;

I travelled from Preston to Fairford and back this weekend, and I made sure the tank was full before starting off.

The journey down was a complete nightmare, stop/start from pretty much Stafford area to well into the M5. Anyway, the way back was clear roads and cruise time.

So, at the moment the Zed in sitting in the garage having covered 480 miles with 80 something miles showing on the DTE. :scare:

I would say the most effecient cruising speed is an indicated 68-70. :thumbs:

I think 500 is possible given the right circumstances, as soon as you hit traffic it's not looking good.

The closer to the legal limit you get (from above it :surrender:), the more efficient progress seems to be.

After a heavy night the day before, I've taken my time a few times and got up to 35mpg. It feels slow in the Zed, but at least there is less tire raw! :)

I think even 550-600 miles on one tank is possible. I did now 430 miles on a tank with 70% highway driving, sometimes playing around a bit. If you have a long trip, ie to the South of France or so with not too much traffic jams etc, you'll be able to get a really decent amount of miles out of 1 tank!!

I think even 550-600 miles on one tank is possible. I did now 430 miles on a tank with 70% highway driving, sometimes playing around a bit. If you have a long trip, ie to the South of France or so with not too much traffic jams etc, you'll be able to get a really decent amount of miles out of 1 tank!!

550-600 :dry: You talking about the Nissan Almera Diesel :p

Liam - ha ha wicked!!

Appreciate that fuel consumption is important to people who use their Z's for both the daily slog and say fun at the weekend, but why bother thinking about MPG when you have a 3.5 litre sports car, either it matters and you buy a daily diesel or don’t let it bother you and have some fun and put your foot down (obviously have to be PC and say when its safe to do so etc).

And to the guys who were shocked at doing 120 - did 160 on the M6 Toll Road - perfectly safe, the car was fine, the conditions were fine, slowed right down when passing cars - what's the harm (PC - to others) in that?. As for the 120, I was a decent way behind a 7 series BMW for most of the way, no congestion to speak of - was effortless cruising.

Would rather pay a few quid extra in petrol, as a result get home a bit quicker and most importantly have some fun, that’s what owning a Z is all about.

And to the guys who were shocked at doing 120 - did 160 on the M6 Toll Road - perfectly safe, the car was fine, the conditions were fine, slowed right down when passing cars - what's the harm?

Whats the harm?

1) Its against the law

2) Its dangerous

3) If someone ploughed into a car with your wife and kids in it at 160 mph, would you then be so dismissive :angry::rant::rant::angry: