£5k respray on a cat c car????

Fien

Spotted this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260478695797&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

£3500 alloy wheels seem pretty expensive but could be believable!

£2500 Alpine sound system, again expensive but could be true!

Top of the range spoiler fitted???? I dont own a ragtop but that looks just like the standard one to me! :wacko:

£5,000 respray to evo-10 colour???!!! :scare: 2 points on this one; not sure what evo-10 looks like but to me that cars just Azure blue!! And secondly why if you're car was a cat-c write off would you spend £5k on a respray!!

Plus it's a import from America, along with being a cat-c i'm wondering what price would be reasonable for this to go for!

Some car adverts just sound so dodgy the scream at you to stay well clear of!

sorry, read the car as being from the US of A and not the wheels :headhurt:

i'd send them right back as well!!

was thinking £9k was a generous price myself so i'd be suprised if it goes up much from there. Personally i wouldnt bid on a car that i havent seen and certainly on one that sounds a bit dodgy!

As long as there are pics of the repair I don't think the price is bad at all. The £5k bill was probably for the full repair @ the bodyshop including paint etc.

Some cat C cars I have seen shouldn't even be recorded as D's and vice versa. Insurance companies with high value cars sometimes rate piles of scrap metal as cat D and they should be B- Break only.

The category depends on the assessor and the estimated garage repair bill which is sometimes over estimated for various reasons.

Wheels made me sick into my paper bin :thumbdown:

Wheels made me sick into my paper bin :thumbdown:

:lol::lol:

+1 on the wheels they are gash :yuck:

Personal opinion after unknowingly owning a Cat D car for 6 weeks is to steer clear from them...

If your planning on driving it into the ground then fine but resale is a bit of a nightmare im afraid...

Up to you at the end of the day tho buddy.. ;)

£5k for a respray could be true, if its a full proper respray and a very good job. (if you think if they stripped off all the bumpers, took the engine out, removed the roof etc, rubbed it all down, repaired whatever the damage was, its a big old job!)

Wheels however are not worth £3500, maybe its a typo and should say £350 :lol:

geraghtyr200 whats been your problems with a cat d? I assume you mean your zed? Mines a cat d and i havent found anything wrong with it (touch wood!). Mine was due to front bumper damage, obviously fully repaired and drives like a dream!

i take it you were sold it by a crafty private seller and not through trade?

There's so many things that need to be checked out with cat d or cat c cars. But the main thing is the sensors to the airbags!! these need to be replaced if airbags are deployed. Anyone rebuilding a write off would be wise to keep all receipts and invoices for parts and work done, along with detailed pictures showing the work in progress. I would buy one if it came with all this information, otherwise i'd leave well alone.

geraghtyr200 whats been your problems with a cat d? I assume you mean your zed? Mines a cat d and i havent found anything wrong with it (touch wood!). Mine was due to front bumper damage, obviously fully repaired and drives like a dream!

i take it you were sold it by a crafty private seller and not through trade?

No no no, not my Zed... :scare:

I sold an STI " someone said it was chavvy :dry: " and I needed a stop gap car for a few weeks so I bought a car off a guy who does courier work for me. It was just a crappy MG ZR that I paid 2.5k for... anyway... 6 weeks down the line I went to trade it in for a CTR and the garage offered me 1k for it (and told me it was a Cat D) :surrender:

Luckily cos I knew the guy and he didnt want to lose any custom from me he gave me a full refund and took the car back...

My example was me being naive, i should have done a check but i trusted the guy, he didnt know either he had just started buying and selling a few auction cars...

The whole Cat C Cat D thing is personal preference... as a rule I personally stay clear ' apart from this time :blush: ' ... thats not to say theres anything wrong with yours or anyone elses... I just don't like the idea of owning a car thats been shunned as I dont think you truely no if its affected the integrity of the car plus it can be harder to sell them on. On the flip side you can get some great bargains :shrug:

Each to their own and all that :thumbs:

plus...

where's the headlight washers on the bumper?

where's the heated seat buttons?

It's an import................................................

not stated as being an import was it? unless i missed it. i wondered if bumper had been changed as part of insurance work as top of bumper/bonnet doesn't seem to line up straight...

plus specifically says has heated seats, but i can't see that it has the switches in the usual place...

• 3 weeks later...

its either crap pics or this car was resprayed the wrong colour. no way this an azure matching respray. it seems the roof has been replaced as well so you need to be careful with this car.

as sunset mentioned some cat D or C's are not bad buys but the resale is more difficult.

the wheels are proper gash though :yuck: