DBA disk brakes after a bit of work out 2nd update

Greekman

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now then guys...it cant be heel-toe...as ekona says thats the whole point of it....not to unsettle the car....plus mine is manual which means that there is no point in left braking...cant do it anyway! :lol:

the point of late braking is more weight on the front wheels and as a result sharper turn in!!!

My Zed understeers which means that i need as much weight as i can on turn in...then its neutral...then i get very good traction on the exit....

long corners are a bit trickier cos by the middle of them i v got to go hard on the throttle to keep the front stable... :drive1

There is a chance that my braking wasnt balanced as it felt a bit uneven after i had the DBA disks fitted. It was the nissan guys that did it but they may not have bled the system properly???

Zmanalex....pm me your phone m8 and i ll ring you tom first for some rear calipers as i will need them for friday avo.... :thumbs:

Now then guys...it cant be heel-toe...as ekona says thats the whole point of it....not to unsettle the car....plus mine is manual which means that there is no point in left braking...cant do it anyway! :lol:

the point of late braking is more weight on the front wheels and as a result sharper turn in!!!

My Zed understeers which means that i need as much weight as i can on turn in...then its neutral...then i get very good traction on the exit....

long corners are a bit trickier cos by the middle of them i v got to go hard on the throttle to keep the front stable... :drive1

There is a chance that my braking wasnt balanced as it felt a bit uneven after i had the DBA disks fitted. It was the nissan guys that did it but they may not have bled the system properly???

Zmanalex....pm me your phone m8 and i ll ring you tom first for some rear calipers as i will need them for friday avo.... :thumbs:

There's more point in left foot braking in a manual than in an auto, and if you can do it then it's certainly a worthwhile technique for tackling certain corners. You're also missing the point of late braking: It's got nothing to do with putting more weight over the front wheels, it's about carrying every last bit of speed you can into the corner. If you're getting understeer that badly then you've got the car set up wrong, and need to take it for a decent geo setup. From what you describe (specifically, having to go WOT mid-corner during a very wide corner) then the setup here is your biggest issue, and is fighting against you all the way. Due to not being able to switch the Zed's ability to brake individual corners on a UK car, there are times when you'd have to brake and lift just before the ECU works out what's going on to be able to get the front to tuck in under braking: It's probably the hardest thing to get right on the Zed, but is incredibly satisfying when you nail it.

AFAIK there's no way to set the braking bias in a standard car, so if the fitters hadn't bled the brakes properly you'd feel it through the pedal instantly. It's more likely your stupidly aggressive braking has boiled the fluid, overheated the pads and destroyed the discs. My advice would be to get new calipers, discs, fluid and pads all round, bed them in gently for approx 300 miles, then bed the pads in properly, and then get yourself on some kind of driver training day. Car Limits is the place I've been to a couple of times as Andy Walsh is a superb instructor, but I appreciate that he's a bit far from you. Still, gotta be worth the travelling if it saves you another set of brakes.

^^ What he said.

Havent been out with Andy myself, but the missus got a few tuition laps with him on an airfield day and she was far more confident when she came back with much better technique (just shows she should have listened to me but wouldnt :lol: )

There's more point in left foot braking in a manual than in an auto, and if you can do it then it's certainly a worthwhile technique for tackling certain corners. You're also missing the point of late braking: It's got nothing to do with putting more weight over the front wheels, it's about carrying every last bit of speed you can into the corner. If you're getting understeer that badly then you've got the car set up wrong, and need to take it for a decent geo setup. From what you describe (specifically, having to go WOT mid-corner during a very wide corner) then the setup here is your biggest issue, and is fighting against you all the way. Due to not being able to switch the Zed's ability to brake individual corners on a UK car, there are times when you'd have to brake and lift just before the ECU works out what's going on to be able to get the front to tuck in under braking: It's probably the hardest thing to get right on the Zed, but is incredibly satisfying when you nail it.

So you are saying that braking has got nothing to do with weight distribution of the car through the corner??? And carry every last bit of speed into the corner is wrong m8! sometimes ur turn in speed is lower thasn max only because you get better traction that way to accelerate through the corner and have better exit speed.

Guys i am not a race driver but i do my homework....i dont think the brakes are gone because of my breaking...Zmanalex gave me an idea...but i ll know on friday! :thumbs:

get your geo checked out, its not expensive but might save you a few bob in the long run.

this isn't a slanging match on your driving skills, and sorry if its comer across that way, but something isn't right either with the brakes, the setup or the driver or a combination of all 3, and it might just require a few minor tweeks in style, braking and setup to make your brakes last longer and to get maximium efficiency and capabilities out of them with out frying the setup.

i'd be interested to see an incar video of you on the track,

So you are saying that braking has got nothing to do with weight distribution of the car through the corner??? And carry every last bit of speed into the corner is wrong m8! sometimes ur turn in speed is lower thasn max only because you get better traction that way to accelerate through the corner and have better exit speed.

Guys i am not a race driver but i do my homework....i dont think the brakes are gone because of my breaking...Zmanalex gave me an idea...but i ll know on friday! :thumbs:

You either really have precious little idea what you're talking about, or you have such a poor way with words that you struggle to get your point across. Your turn in speed should always be the max of what you and the car are capable of but with consideration to the cornering line and apex in mind: If anything you want to be a fraction past the limit to achieve the perfect 4-wheel drift past the apex. Of course if you go too fast into a corner and then nail the brakes your balance is going to be all over the shop, but then given that you've said yourself that you brake later than you should and then brake a bit more to get the front heavy tells me all I need to know.

I've never known anyone else on these boards to have as much trouble with their car as you after tracking it, not even Alex with his setup. Every time someone points out that perhaps it's your driving style and that you really need to get some tuition you simply gloss over it and blame something mechanical. Maybe, just maybe, we're actually trying to help you here and not just insult your mad driving skillz, and it might be worth trying what is suggested? Hell, if we're wrong and it's actually the case that you're the world's greatest driver then at least the tutor can give McLaren a call and get you a seat next to Lewis next year.

But yeah, perhaps if the discs were fitted the right way you might not have screwed them up so badly.

Aww you missed the obvious pun there, as in give the guy a "brake"...

*gets coat*

And I do kinda think you missed my point. His writing is obviously of such a standard that we can all understand what he's trying to say, which leaves only one other option...

You either really have precious little idea what you're talking about, or you have such a poor way with words that you struggle to get your point across.

Take a look at is avator " GREEKMAN" :lol::lol::lol: Give the guy a break :shrug:

Me no speak english....me migrant need work.... :p:lol::lol::lol:

Ekona m8 hope you get to see me on a track sometime.....last time in mallory park people were coming round to have a look and see how the Z could go round so fast...the same at cadwell park!!! I had to pop the bonnet cos they couldnt believe it was stock!!!

I dont have a high opinion of my driving...i think enough said of that... :surrender:

i had brembo that are not track brakes...i had EBC still not great track breaks but they went wrong because the front left pads went and i kept going (ESP and roundabouts not good)...now the DBA are a different story....i honestly think there was smth wrong with them...we ll see.... :dummy:

You either really have precious little idea what you're talking about, or you have such a poor way with words that you struggle to get your point across.

Take a look at is avator " GREEKMAN" :lol::lol::lol: Give the guy a break :shrug:

Me no speak english....me migrant need work.... :p:lol::lol::lol:

Ekona m8 hope you get to see me on a track sometime.....last time in mallory park people were coming round to have a look and see how the Z could go round so fast...the same at cadwell park!!! I had to pop the bonnet cos they couldnt believe it was stock!!!

I dont have a high opinion of my driving...i think enough said of that... :surrender:

i had brembo that are not track brakes...i had EBC still not great track breaks but they went wrong because the front left pads went and i kept going (ESP and roundabouts not good)...now the DBA are a different story....i honestly think there was smth wrong with them...we ll see.... :dummy:

Right I think theres 2ways to settle this:

RACING IS GOING TO BE THE KEY FACTOR

1. A Trackday race :drive1

2. A Drinking race :drunk:

Ill join in aswell just for fun :teeth:

Ekona I bet you cant drift like a Greek God on a surf board ;):D

2473_1096371214100_1371206972_261594_4672_n.jpg

Darren i think you have taken it a bit too far m8!!!! I am a greek god out of the car as well!!! :p;)

I am in for the drinking competition.....which i can easily win... :drunk:

i cant afford any more brakes anyway!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Picked up the dixcel carbon brakes today with the pads....plus the motul 660...now waiting for the calipers....all going on tom....cant wait!!! :yahoo:

Many thanks to DMS and Zmanalex!!! Excellent service!!! :thumbs:

Hopefully you don't kill them! :lol::lol::lol:

Picked up the dixcel carbon brakes today with the pads....plus the motul 660...now waiting for the calipers....all going on tom....cant wait!!! :yahoo:

One more time n i ll kill myself!!! :bang::lol:

I'd give them say 3-4 track days this time :lol:

I really do hope these do the trick as the next step is BBK and big bucks :surrender:

I'd give them say 3-4 track days this time :lol:

I really do hope these do the trick as the next step is BBK and big bucks :surrender:

About 3 grand already spent on EBC, DBA and Dixcel m8!!! :bang:

BBK wont scare me...they ll send me in jail!!!! :lol: