DBA disk brakes after a bit of work out 2nd update

Greekman

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crikey mate, we didn't expect our bloody rotars to crack up like a sheila stuck behind the barbie all day.

I can't remember the details now buy I seem to remember my DBA discs having three colours on the disc and I think they change colour as you reach the correct operating temp. Does this sound familar?? I have a vague memory or reading something along those lines... Sorry to see this buddy.

The pic is from when cold.

I am using ferodo pads DS2500 with not much left on them...had the full lot changed at 17600 miles and now i v got 22500. :thumbdown:

These are the DBA ones....i had the EBC turbo groove ones but they lasted only a bit longer.... :blackeye:

At the ring i did 4 x 2 laps with 30mins in between and as i am not that familiar with the track i was braking way earlier!!! :dummy:

Mallory park is not exactly cadwell park is it??? The front left tyre is gone but its only got 3 proper braking points and that was from 120-125mph to 60-70 at most!!! :dry:

i would say impressed, but i don't think thats the right word, how you managed to get through discs' pads tyres etc in such short time.

do you remember the film days of thunder and tom cruise shows how quickly he can track the car, but the tyres don't see the end of the race, so the old man gets him to drive to his style, he works out to be quicker and the tyres last the race.

i'm wondering if it has nothing to do with discs and everything to do with driving style. the DBAs aren't cheap disc's and they are designed around track use. so to crack them in such short time is er unique. do they not require a cooling down procedure i thought with any track day, you have a cold lap before coming in to cool the brakes etc.

i'm not saying your style is bad, as i've never seen it, and you may well be quick, but may be you need to adjust it to accommodate the life-cycle of the parts. i wouldn't be surprised if you haven't boiled your brake fluid and need that changing as well

i would say impressed, but i don't think thats the right word, how you managed to get through discs' pads tyres etc in such short time.

do you remember the film days of thunder and tom cruise shows how quickly he can track the car, but the tyres don't see the end of the race, so the old man gets him to drive to his style, he works out to be quicker and the tyres last the race.

i'm wondering if it has nothing to do with discs and everything to do with driving style. the DBAs aren't cheap disc's and they are designed around track use. so to crack them in such short time is er unique. do they not require a cooling down procedure i thought with any track day, you have a cold lap before coming in to cool the brakes etc.

i'm not saying your style is bad, as i've never seen it, and you may well be quick, but may be you need to adjust it to accommodate the life-cycle of the parts. i wouldn't be surprised if you haven't boiled your brake fluid and need that changing as well

i was reading that thinking, rich is being blunt but not too harsh hmmm good hmm then i get to

"i wouldn't be surprised if you haven't boiled your brake fluid and need that changing as well"

oh no never mind :lol:

His style is if in doubt flat out! lol, hes a great driver tho but i know he loves to push the car. Time for some bigger brakes Chris :thumbs:

I can't remember the details now buy I seem to remember my DBA discs having three colours on the disc and I think they change colour as you reach the correct operating temp.

Yes they do, marks on side of the rotors, as in one of the pics here:

http://www.dba.com.au/2006/products.asp

Althought a bit late to check them now :doh:

I would speak to someone with more experience like ZMANALEX, he'll give you the real reason as to how you destroyed the discs and what you need to do to avoid it - new driving style or BBK :thumbs:

After destroying the brembos in a single track day at oulton park i did my homework...

Both DBA and EBC were new. i even followed the guide here to bed the pads in!

And on the track 1st lap is heating up breaks and tyres, second lap build some speed up, then lap till the brake pedal starts feeling soft, then 1 or 2 laps cooling down. Oh, and i always give the car more than 20mins to cool down.... :dry:

I suppose my driving style is aggressive...but i think Steve can confirm that i love following the racing line...even if that means hit the kerb!!! :lol:

Oh well....i d better look around for bbk then.....how much did you say???? :headhurt:

You didnt say which discs you have thought. EBC wont last doing trackdays, I managed to kill a set doing an airfield day, they're fast street discs, not meant for track days. DBAs if you have the 5k series would be ok, but the lower ones again arent designed for heavy track use, so you could kill them in a session, even if you warm them up and cool them down properly, they cant take the temperature or hammering of full out laps in a heavy car.

Speak to Alex, but my guess would be a BBK starting at about £1800 for some ksport or more for AP racing etc. That or it might just be that you need some DBA 5k series which are meant for track work ;)

There's a bigger issue at fault here I think. I run stock discs with very aggressive Performance Friction carbon pads, and after a few trackdays there's not a mark on them (although they do have a nice lip now, hence me fitting a set of matching PF discs next week). Given that he's using far better discs with equivalent pads (not entirely sure on the heat range of the 2500s, but would imagine they're broadly similar to my PF ones) there should be no cracking like that at all.

What brake fluid are you running? When was it last changed? When you say you do a cool down lap, I assume it's at a speed where you don't have to touch the brakes at all? If the bedding in procedure for the discs (note: Not the pads!) has been followed correctly, then nothing like this should occur. Possibly faulty discs? Be worth contacting DBA regarding this and seeing what they say.

Is that a front or rear disk? Did you put the handbrake on after the Ring laps? If so, the heat transfer from the pad whilst parked up could have damaged the disk

I run DBA4000 disks with PF pads - my experience was that with just road driving, it took c.3000 miles for the brakes to feel at full strength - which really surprised me as I did the correct bedding in process straight away.

Havent done any track work on them yet, but certainly havent seen anything like damage you have.

unfortunately, that's the net result of using pads that are not nearly proper for the task at hand

DS2500 are a nice club day pad, for cars on street tires on a relatively long track. They also don't have a tremendous temperature threshold, so they benefit alot from ti backing plates and proper ducting and a fluid with high threshold (RF650 is my preference, Brembo fluid is also excellent). If it's a smaller winding track, then different pads are certainly the better route to go, as the 2500's won't come close to surviving

Motul brake fluid (that rf one) was used when i had them changed at 17500mls ish....the whole system was flushed.

cool down lap is a lap with almost no braking. if you go too slow they wont cool down as there is not enough air. and i know better than use the handbrake on hot disks me thinks.... :p

mallory park guys is really hard on tyres...which means that after 7-8 laps of drifting round the hairpin and the parabolica the tyres turn into mash.... :lol:

and then you have to stop!! :dry:

I was thinking that the ESP could mess the brakes up as it constantly applies the brakes and it doesnt let them cool down when driving daft on a track....but the ESP was off!!!!! in fact its always off!!!!! :wacko:

I dont remember what series the disks are....got them from envy...and the EBC previously from Phil...

i did tell them tho that i wanted brakes for track days....and i never asked how much.... :dry:

22500mls ish...brembo gone, ebc turbo groove gone, DBA gone...plus pads and fluid each time...and on top of that clutch and flywheel as the clutch was about to die...oh and 4 full sets of tyres.... :bang::bang::bang: