350z and MOT's

Muddy

Hard to believe that I've almost had the car 1 year.

Car is up for MOT and it's booked in for Thursday. I'm petrified as normal as I like to wrap it in cotton wool and don't like the idea of oily mechanics putting their hands all over it.

Just one question really:

Does the 350z go on the brake rollers or does it have to go on a road brake test because of the rear diff?

Just a bit worried about it going on the rollers and knackering the bodykit up?

They have just recently fitted a small speed bump into their garage so will have to take some wood with me too.

Cheers

Craig

Make sure you take your prize and joy to an MOT station with the right gear.

I will let you into a secret though. When they came off the end of the prodution line in Japan the car was put on a complete rolling road, brakes, lights,indicators etc etc checked and then floored. Hardly what you would expect but there you go :scare: With this in mind makes the MOT station's Tests look totally harmless. :)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Thought as much that it had a road test, I could be wrong but I think it has a limited slip diff which shouldn't be put on rollers like the brake test rollers.

Will insist that they road test it :teeth:

Oh, and yes I do all the controls normally, don't think they'd fit in the brides anyway :teeth:

I have never quite understood why I roller brake test should not be performed.

People say it will wind the diff up (not sure exactly what this means), but why is this diiferent to a road test.

One wheel locked up while the other is turning I would say is more likely to happen on the road. But won't the ABS stop this from happening any way?

I have never quite understood why I roller brake test should not be performed.

People say it will wind the diff up (not sure exactly what this means), but why is this diiferent to a road test.

One wheel locked up while the other is turning I would say is more likely to happen on the road. But won't the ABS stop this from happening any way?

forces aren't designed to go that direction through the LSD

Definately an on the road test guys. And the Zed should be towed with the rear wheels off the ground too as with them down it can damage the diff too I think. Applies forces to the diff it isnt desgned to take, it doesnt expect one wheel to be stationary when the other is turning :surrender:

Well got back from MOT.

It was the first time they've seen my car, but they have MOT'd my previous show cars.

As soon as they saw it they said it wasn't going on the brake rollers :lol: because it's that low. Plus I told them about the LSD and he said road test no doubt. Think he was looking forward to the ride out :lol:

Had problem getting in as the entrance to their garage is on a decline, and we found I was too low and would damage front bumper getting in. First thought I'd have to find somewhere else to get it done, but gaffer got some old pieces of kitchen doors and stuck them down. Car got into the garage with mm's to spare :blush:

No problems with car, I didn't think there would be seeing that 80% of the car is new :teeth:

Just worry like hell when taking my show cars to MOT/garage's for the damage that my occur and the hassle it causes.

But that's it for another year. Just got to get through the next service now :teeth: and find someone with a ramp I can get on.

Thanks for all the help guys. Hopefully this thread has helped a few members out too. :thumbs:

Mine passed too :yahoo: Second time through with a cleared out fog light and red LED bulb, so for those that worry like me, its fine.

And I dont think they stalled it with the lightweight flywheel after I warned them about it :lol:

He did mention to me that my fog light wasn't very bright, I just replied "I don't think they are on 350Z'ds" :teeth::teeth:

Mine passed too :yahoo: Second time through with a cleared out fog light and red LED bulb, so for those that worry like me, its fine.

And I dont think they stalled it with the lightweight flywheel after I warned them about it :lol:

Excellent! Mine passed today too :thumbs: - it's nice to have a 100% reliable 6 year old car... :) And they were perfectly happy with my LED fog light too B)

Steve

He did mention to me that my fog light wasn't very bright, I just replied "I don't think they are on 350Z'ds" :teeth::teeth:

Do you have one of these?

7443_11wled5.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2pcs-7440-7443-T2 ... 286.c0.m14

Took me a few bulbs to find this one that me and my mate thought would be bright enough to pass. Was cacking it the first time around :blush: