Been to see a nice Z, price an issue

slyadams

Hey chaps,

Long time reader, first time poster!

I went to see a 2005 GT with 36k on the clock. Gun metal grey, a couple of small chips/scratches, but nothing to write home about. However, I'm a bit concerned over the price. He's got it on at £14k, but the 'book's that I've been reading suggest 12.5-12.9 would be the price to look for. Admittedly, his car is 4k under the expected mileage for an '05. So was just wondering what you guys thought.

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong area!

i'd try to get him down to 13,200,

or walk away and find something else.

+1. How new is your "book"? Prices have been going back up recently due to demand, so you cant always go by what the book says. Some sell them cheaper, some sell them for more, see what they are willing to do :)

personally I think its all down to your personel thoughts of the car, has it got all the toys you want? condition inside and out? mot? tax? service history? whens the next major service due? kerbed wheels? If its generally a well looked after car and isnt likely to cost you anything more than the norm in the near future then theres no reason why it cant be worth a little more.

But you should never pay the full asking price for a car ;)

Its private. I started out by offering 13.25, but he wasn't having any of it. The problem is that he is only selling for practicality purposes and he is in no rush at all so I don't really have any bargaining position. I would be relatively happy at 13.5 I think. But then I look at, for example, motors.co.uk/autotrader for a car within 100 miles of my postcode (mk14) and there really aren't that many under 12k at all with that kind of mileage. Ideally I would like an 05 (lower tax) with around 30-40k on the clock.

I suspect his concern is that he's not had it that long and got it from a dealer, so he's trying to sell it privately for what he paid for it.

Grrrr.

it seems your not the first to say that there aren't many around in the condition that poeple want for the price they want to pay,

don't forget this was a £30k sports car when new, and your hoping to have saved £17k from buying it new 4 years ago. to be honest i think the car market is staberlising out, people are no longer panic selling like they were 12 months ago, people kno what they're worth, aren't in a rush to sell and are happy to hold out for the right price.

i think the bargain pick ups of last year are gone, and i think you may need to pay a more realistic price for the car.

i got my 06 11 months ago for £15,000 its only got 22,000 on the clock but i would proably ask about £14,500 - £15,000 for it now, but thats cos i don't want to sell.

if you want a bargain i think you'll need to be prepared to travel, i got mine in harrowgate, my last car in stoke on trent, and i live in suffolk. but then i saved £3000 on what a local dealership wanted for an identical car.

I bought my 2005 gt two weeks ago with 32000 on the clock with full nissan service history nismo body kit and exhaust and rays no marks or scratches as such very clean and tidy and paid 15250 for it, i looked at quite a few others in that age bracket and they were a lot worse than mine so i think i got a descent buy. i did trade in a mercedes 320 clk with all the extras and only got 7 grand for that and it was a 2004 model. And you are getting a car that put smiles on your face and great comments from other car owners so bite the bullet and pay him what he wants :clap:

14k seem optimistic tbh but I was looking half heartedly for about 6 months before buying mine and it did seem that while prices might not have been getting much higher the good examples definitely were selling quicker.

If it's in good condition and it's the spec/colour you want then I'd not squabble over 200-300 if you can get him to deal at 13.5k, just buy it and enjoy :D

be prepared to travel, I drove a round trip of 1000miles to look at a car and then go to collect it.

Ditto - and I walked away from two who really weren't that interested in selling their cars and wouldn't budge on price - these sellers are usually men who've been brow-beaten into selling by their WAGs and so price accordingly in the hope of not selling - you can spot them a mile off ;)

Take your time there's new ones coming on the market every week :thumbs:

PS before anyone complains about sexism - we've all come accross some poor sod who really doen't want to sell but has to because they're being held by the short & curlies

I recently bought a UK gun metal GT coupe, Alzean Leather, Sat Nav, BlueTooth, Parking Sensors, etc etc, Dec 2004 (54), 50k, full history at the supplying dealer.

Needed a service and 2 tyres, and I got it for a shade over 10k - so as said, wait and watch - its a buyers market. Be prepared to walk if the deal isnt right.

Mine was up for 13k 7 weeks before I bought it!

be prepared to travel, I drove a round trip of 1000miles to look at a car and then go to collect it.

Ditto - and I walked away from two who really weren't that interested in selling their cars and wouldn't budge on price - these sellers are usually men who've been brow-beaten into selling by their WAGs and so price accordingly in the hope of not selling - you can spot them a mile off ;)

Yup... That will be me in January when the missus drops :thumbs:

When I bought my 55 plate 2005 Zed on 33k miles a month or so ago, I used the Parkers guide to get the price corrected for extras and mileage. Ended up paying 13.5k for her which was a couple of hundred less than the book price for a private sale in very good condition. Perhaps a couple of small stone chips as the only faults. At then end of the day I had a good feeling about the car and paid a mechanic to give it a full inspection including all the bodywork and underbody which she passed with flying colours. So one very happy bunny at that price.

Sound like 14k seems a little high but 13.5k should be in the right ball park. Wave the Parkers guid pricing under their nose to see if they bite. Howver, if you find a good one it could be worth paying that little bit extra rather than paying hundreds if not thousands to fix the results of a badly treated car further down the line.

I just got my 54 azure with 22K on the clock for £12.5K, but it needed a service which was another £350.

I was having similar problems and was struggling to find many cars in what seemed to be a good price bracket, then this one popped up on pistonheads and its lovely :teeth:

If you don't like the price walk away. You may have to travel further afield to get the right car. I had a 1.5hour drive each way to view mine and it was well worth it!