This is bad, right?

ug45cwb

Ok I know very little about cars and arbitarily decided to check my oil...The car has been on my drive all night. I took the stick out, wiped it, put it back in, and examined. It came back basically clean. Am I correct in assuming this means haenus problems?

Took it out then wiped it off...

IMG_0345.jpg

Put it back...

IMG_0346.jpg

Pulled it out again.

IMG_0347.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bloody hell, You must be the third person this week who has been running their car with no oil, :bang:

You should check your fluids atleast once a week. I always do with mine, even more so if its driven hard. luckily my zed has never drunk a drip of oil but i still check it often to be on the safe side.

Oh dear, I check my oil every 2 weeks and change every 6k miles.

So many guys don't check their oil and this is the reason garages are seeing engines with failures due to oil starvation. Costly £££££ :doh:

FOR ALL OF YOU THAT HAVEN'T CHECKED IN A WHILE GO DO IT NOW!

I have never checked or replaced the oil. I bought the car with 7.5k on it now it has 15.5k. Does it need doing more than this?

WTF.? If you value your Zed, this routine task of checking and changing will keep your engine running smoothly, 2 oil changes a year for you should be good.

Sometimes I think people should be made to sit some kind of basic test before driving a car, and that maybe cars should come with instructions that people should read.

Oh wait...

The problem with car manuals is that the tiny bit of vital info is chucked in with reams and reams that you'l never want or need. Really, kids should be taught basic car maintenance at school because not everyone's dad does it. I hope that this doesn't turn out to be an expensive education for the OP. :)

Car had a service when I bought it 8000 miles ago. It was low on oil today (not as low as my original reading, but way below the hash markings on the dipstick). Is using this amount of oil over 8000 miles normal?

What year of car is it? Some of the MY06 cars are known to be heavy drinkers.....

Oh and just a note, never rely on the light. It does not mean you are low on oil, it means your oil pump is starved and you might well have done serious engine damage!

Well go and top up the oil - just a bit at a time - leave it to settle for 5 mins - check the oil and top up some more - when its at the correct mark (halfway between the indentations) start it up and listen...... see that it ticks over nice and quiet.

Check the oil everyday for the next week and see if it drops - if it does'nt you should be fine, if it does then get to Nissan to have it checked over.

Hope this helps? :thumbs:

PS check the colour of the oil - is it gluppey black or still clearish?

I have topped up the car and it sounds like its running sweet. Used almost a whole thing of oil tho! Going in for a full service/MOT next week...will this reveal any possible damage caused by low oil? Will check oil regularly from now on. Thanks for the help guys.