Replacement decals for steering wheel controls ???

Tonser

Hi

The aluminium trims on my steering wheels trims are a bit scuffed up - I guess the previous owner wore rings, and held the wheel there :headhurt:

Anyhows, as I'm getting the rear strut cover, and door switch panels refinished in Kuro, I'm going to have the aluminium trims done in Kuro too B)

The only problem is the lettering for the steering wheel controls. Its only 2.5mm tall, so I'm wondering the best way to replace it ?

I can match the font, and lay it out, but after that its tricky.

A friend can do vinyl lettering but hes not sure he can go that small, and I think the vinyl itself will be too thick. Theres also white letraset transferrs available, but lining up each letter perfectly with the next will be a nightmare.

Anyone have any other ideas ?

Thanks

Tony

I would buy the 2007-2009 steering wheel switches and covers. The lettering it on the buttons / switches so you wouldn't have to do any stickers for them. Would look a lot neater. Contact Mr Lizard as I know he has a steering wheel in mint condition. I have one in stock also but in no rush to sell mine.

I'm sure it will look great whatever you do :thumbs:

Thanks guys. Yep I'd spoken with rtbiscuit on this, plus I have another friend who does vinyl, but also thinks it would be too small.

R35Lee, sounds like a good plan - are the 07-09 wheels and steering wheel controls interchangable with a 2004 car ?

Cheers

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scott

Yep the covers come off, but you have to take the wheel off to do it unfortunately. Its a case of airbag off, then wheel off so you access the trim screws and get the trims off. If you have steering wheel controls, the trims clip onto the actual switch housings.

If you could make them in CF we'd still have the problem of the decals though. I'm looking into having decals made to go on the actual switches themselves rather than the trims - like the 07-09 wheels I believe.

Tony

My 04 UK GT is different, as it has the steering wheel controls.

2 Torx security screws hold the airbag in place, so once theyre undone the airbag comes off (disconnect the wire too). You can then pull the other electrical connector in the steering wheel, undo the 19mm steering column nut, and pull the wheel off. 3 small philips screws hold the trim on the back of the wheel, and once that is taken off you can get to the the final 2 screws that hold the steering wheel switched in place. The aluminum trims clip in to these switch housings.

I havent tried it yet, but I reckon you can refit everything to the car without the ali trims (I have done this bit) then I think the ali trims will just clip on without removing anything. I'll let you know when I get mine back from the painters.

Tony

My 04 UK GT is different, as it has the steering wheel controls.

2 Torx security screws hold the airbag in place, so once theyre undone the airbag comes off (disconnect the wire too). You can then pull the other electrical connector in the steering wheel, undo the 19mm steering column nut, and pull the wheel off. 3 small philips screws hold the trim on the back of the wheel, and once that is taken off you can get to the the final 2 screws that hold the steering wheel switched in place. The aluminum trims clip in to these switch housings.

I havent tried it yet, but I reckon you can refit everything to the car without the ali trims (I have done this bit) then I think the ali trims will just clip on without removing anything. I'll let you know when I get mine back from the painters.

Tony

Which I am still hoping will be this weekend!! :thumbs: !!!