Some Cheap Mods. Aerial, Dash and Indicators

hbwold

So I decided to do a few modifications to the 350z today.

First was changing the front indicator bulbs to Silvatec bulbs, I created a Guide which is here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26676

Finished product

DSC_1283.jpg

Second was easiest, just some brushed aluminium effect stickers for the dash air vents, purchased here: http://www.jdmperformance.co.uk/item_de ... odID=52964

A bit fiddly but fit OK and brighten up the dash.

DSC_1286.jpg

And lastly was a Stubby Aerial modification. Having no luck on ebay with Aerial's I decided to modify the standard 350z aerial. Roughly followed the guide here: http://www.evilution.co.uk/128

I firstly cut the long thin aerial mast down with snips to about 1cm from the top end of the rubber base, so the long thin aerial mast went from being about 20cm to 1cm. Then cut about 1cm off the cap at the top of the aerial, there are a few very small holes on the cap at the top of the aerial where the metal ends and when cut off where the small holes are located you end up with a 1cm long rubber cap. Then super glued the rubber cap top onto the 1cm size mast and fitted to the car.

Reception is good, only tried whilst parked up. Found all the BBC stations very clearly but one local station was fuzzy but I moved the car a little and it cleared up. Anyway here are some pics!

DSC_1287.jpg

DSC_1293.jpg

DSC_1301.jpg

Thanks. I bid on a few S2000 stubby's on ebay but they went to £15-20 so thought I'd give modifying my own a go. It's pretty easy but if you make a mistake then you'll need a new one....would at least give you an excuse to buy an S2000 stubby!

Indicators were pretty easy, just a bit of a small space to get your hand in.

For the leds do you mean for the sidelights? Don't think you'd be able to access the headlights or sidelights from the same access as the indicators, would probably have to take the headlights off.

For the leds do you mean for the sidelights? Don't think you'd be able to access the headlights or sidelights from the same access as the indicators, would probably have to take the headlights off.

scary_movie_41.jpg

I'm not sure I'll get my strong hand into that space!

Nice touches, they were the first things that I did (except the front indicators). Get some rear LED lights, I thought they were pricey, but now possible my favourite mod.

Nearly matching Zeds if you do!

P.s. is that your caterham in your sig? I am currently saving for a weekend toy and want a caterham, with the zed for day to day commute.

I am tempted by the LED's but would prefer spending the money on an exhaust or popcharger. Got to get my priorities sorted!

Yep the Caterham is mine, it is a fabulous weekend/track day tool. Not too bad on the road too, apart from people don't tend to see you as it's so small, and the ride is very harsh. Nothing drives like it, so responsive and it is literally like driving a go kart on the road! Only 120bhp and it's about the same as the Z to 80mph but struggles over 80mph, not very aerodynamic!

I took one out before I bought my zed, bundles of fun! So your caterham would be a 1.6 roadsport from a glance then? Do you track it?

Can I then suggest the popcharger out of those two..... cheap and to be honest, cured my desire for noise pleasure! Popcharger literally makes the car sound very very nice with little intrusion to the day to day driving :thumbs:

Nice few mods there - the vent bezels are they real alloy with double sided tape on the back?

Good idea with the aerial - you do realise you have inadvertently started another S2000 stubbie thread ! :lol::bangin:

Surprised no one has gone all 370Z yet and fitted little hats to the 3 x dials on the top of the dash! :blink: Old Yogurt pots would be ideal! :lol:

The dash parts are just a sticker with a metal style finish to them, so they still have a glossy finish like a sticker but look good for the money.

Yeah the Caterham is a 1.6 Roadsport, was an ex. academy and roadsport race car in 2006 and 2007 so it has a full roll cage and race seats .etc. Then I purchased it in 2008 for weekend/track use. Done about 5 track days this year and got Oulton Park next Tuesday. Here it is in action at the last track day at Donington

What sort of Caterham are you looking for?

• 5 weeks later...
I am tempted by the LED's but would prefer spending the money on an exhaust or popcharger. Got to get my priorities sorted!

Yep the Caterham is mine, it is a fabulous weekend/track day tool. Not too bad on the road too, apart from people don't tend to see you as it's so small, and the ride is very harsh. Nothing drives like it, so responsive and it is literally like driving a go kart on the road! Only 120bhp and it's about the same as the Z to 80mph but struggles over 80mph, not very aerodynamic!

Hello mate great minds think alike (almost) i have a black 05 z gt and a robin hood kit, 2ltr pinto with twin 40s I had a caterham but being a fattish chap the hood was a bit wider and more easy entry but still a great little motor :#3:

take out the front half of the arch liner its only a few plastic clips and lets you get full access to all the bulbs under neath the headlight! nice and easy for us with little fingers! :fool: