Dealer Parts Pricing Rant

get12

Ok, to continue upon a current topical theme - why do Nissan insist on charging extortionate prices for spare parts?! I give you two recent examples:

I have enquired about pricing on a front plastic number plate surround for my z and was given a price of £78!

I recently had to replace a drivers side wing mirror (just the mirror) - Nissan price £76! When I was running an FD2 last year I had to replace a mirror on that car and Honda charged me £17 on back-order from Holland.

Thankfully, both times I have been able to source the same parts from members on here at a fraction of the price :thumbs::) Thanks!

Me thinks Nissan are treating us as cash cows, or at the very least taking the p*ss.

G

Unfortunatly dealers make most of their cash from parts as the margins on new/used cars are so small. Its just the way of the world. Saying that nissan wanted £300 for a couple of bits of interior plastic and they god told to poke it.

R

...I'm not denying that dealers need to make money elsewhere but there is a fine line between making a profit and taking the p*ss - Honda did not feel it necessary to charge extortionately for a glass mirror!

i just ordered 1 small bolt for my rocker cover, nothing special and it costs...

8 quid! and... is on back order untill the 25th!

he says it comes from amsterdam or some cr*p the if it cant be sourced from there it comes from japan.

Something to remember here though, the Zed is a fairly low volume car in the scheme of things so you will be charged more. It's not an excuse, it's a fact!

?The forum is the best place to source stuff! :thumbs:

i just ordered 1 small bolt for my rocker cover, nothing special and it costs...

he says it comes from amsterdam or some cr*p the if it cant be sourced from there it comes from japan.

And I have just given you 3 for nowt :doh:

And I have just given you 3 for nowt :doh:

different one you'll be pleased to hear ;) the ones you gave me arent expensive. the ones i need are a higher torque and have a 2 stage thickness. if you know the ones i mean :) i have the spare gasket and 2 bolts if you fancy them? the cover has seen better days tbh.

Ok, to continue upon a current topical theme - why do Nissan insist on charging extortionate prices for spare parts?! I give you two recent examples:

I have enquired about pricing on a front plastic number plate surround for my z and was given a price of £78!

I recently had to replace a drivers side wing mirror (just the mirror) - Nissan price £76! When I was running an FD2 last year I had to replace a mirror on that car and Honda charged me £17 on back-order from Holland.

Thankfully, both times I have been able to source the same parts from members on here at a fraction of the price :thumbs::) Thanks!

Me thinks Nissan are treating us as cash cows, or at the very least taking the p*ss.

G

You should see what they qoute for parts on my import, as they keep telling me alot of the parts are different and need to get it from japan. :rant:

Dealers take the P1ss my pride and joy is currently in the garage in the process of being repaired not the stealers due to the extortionate prices. but i required some parts for her, so i go to the stealers to enquire about parts. the parts in question are valve lifters for the exhaust valves on both banks as these were found to be badly worn :wacko: upon inspection. the total amount required would be 12, so i go and ask about prices for valve lifters each. me personally was expecting about 10 - 20 GBP. so the guy said he needed part numbers luckily i was already equipped with said part numbers so he disappeared into the back room and emerged several minutes later. with the price, so each valve lifter was 58 GBP well at first i thought he was having a laugh but turned out he was serious. i then asked how long they would take and he then said about 6 - 8 weeks again thought he was having a laugh and asked him whether he was walking to get them from japan!! anyway i decided to go home and mull it over so i went on the PC and trawled the internet looking for parts and i found some from our good friends over the water at courtesy Nissan in Texas for an amazing price of 11 GBP each. immediately i thought this is to good to be true so emailed to check the price etc. and it was true :teeth:. i thought even if the customs do charge me it wont account to anywhere near as much as the stealers were going to charge. so i went ahead with my order unfortunately i am still waiting 3 weeks later due to circumstances out of my control as one of the valve lifters is on back order and they are having some difficulty getting it but hopefully should be with me in next couple of weeks :D cant wait to get her back on the road :drive1

ok rant over :rant:

Sorry for thread hijacking :sorry:

luckily most people on this forum have already sussed out that you can get parts elsewhere for much cheaper than what the stealers are asking for.

I agree that this site works so well partly because the stealers are so expensive. Anything i need i'd look on here before even considering Nissan.

I feel sorry for the poor people that just go into Nissan and get them to do everything, it must cost them a fortune!!

I have become a victim of this today...

Was looking at the play at my front end, turns out the drivers side front hub carrier ball joint is toast. Guess what its removable and nissan will sell you the cir clip and washers for it, but you can only get the bush as part of the hub carrier as a whole, £500 from nissan, man i was angry! :rant::angry:

Anyhow looked on the net and have found a new one direct from japan for £300, still a hell of a lot, but much better. Annoys me so much that they wont sell joints (£50) without the entire hub assembly which i dont need!!!!