Need new rear pads, dealer has quoted for shims..?

cpk

Hi All,

Just need some advice please... I took my car in today to have a suspension knocking noise looked at and they noticed rear pads need changing - no big deal but I thought I'd get a quote whilst I was there and probably do it myself and buy the parts seperately. Anyway, they said I need a shim kit at £48 on top of the rear pads and labour £250 all in!?

Could anyone advise if a shim kit is necessary/advised/preferable?

I'm also looking at current options for replacement, something cheap and decent, thinking redstuff - any objections??

Thanks for your help.

Ouch, nearly 50 quid for shims? The rear Brembo pads already have shims (or they should!), which you can take off the old set and use again. Not sure if your pads dont have them for some reason and this is why they want to charge you for them? I'd call them up and ask them to fully explain why you need them :wacko:

The dealer tried to make out I needed new shims when replacing pads...

If I order some redstuff or ferrodo DS will these also need them? I imagine my old pads have them, I think they were dealer fitted.

don't laugh at me but what the hell are shims? (if you don't ask you don't find out........ :blush: )

Very reasonsble question...basically they sit between the rear of the brake pads and the caliper that holds the pads and as I understand it are slightly sprung stainles steel to allow sufficient movement back and forward without the pads rusting onto the caliper - normally the rear of the shims have high melting point grease on the back to stop things becoming solid and also stop squealing.

If I have got that wrong no doubt Alex or someone more techy than me will explain :surrender:

don't laugh at me but what the hell are shims? (if you don't ask you don't find out........ :blush: )

Very reasonsble question...basically they sit between the rear of the brake pads and the caliper that holds the pads and as I understand it are slightly sprung stainles steel to allow sufficient movement back and forward without the pads rusting onto the caliper - normally the rear of the shims have high melting point grease on the back to stop things becoming solid and also stop squealing.

If I have got that wrong no doubt Alex or someone more techy than me will explain :surrender:

Yeah pretty much. Not sure they are sprung, mine didnt seem to be, but they basically fill out the space a bit between the pad and calliper. I'm sure someone said you dont even need them really.

The brake pad shims are there for numerous reasons and should be refitted when brake pads are changed.

On the UK Brembo set up the oem pads have shims fitted to the rear of the pads but there is also a floating shim that should be refitted.

Just simply tell the garage to reuse the existing floating shims.

The "how stuff works" link will explain it further. Please read both pages as the second page relates to heat dispensation and heat shield issues.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-part ... -shims.htm

Alex.

just renewed my pads front & rear and used bog standard pads from motorfactors. Lockheads on front £21.79 and Blue print on back £35.65 both plus vat. Not knocking any other makes but I've run the whole z range from 240 to 300zxtt on standard pads with no probs.

I wasn't in a hurry and did fronts one day and rears another. I didn't time it but probably took less than an hour per corner. The Brembo callipers were a dream to work on. I was able to push the pistons back with my fingers, the shims and pins were almost rust-free and well capable of being re-used.

Get some pads from CS @ CougarStores.

I ordered some on Sunday with him in desperate need and they turned up Tuesday morning and he was fantastic the whole time.

I ordered EBC Yellowstuff rears @ £52 delivered and paid one of my mechanics to have them fitted. Ah hour would be the absolute tops needed to fit them by someone who knows what they are doing, I would very much hope you'd be looking under £100 for everything, not £250!