Alcantara?

srobrien

I would use Alpha High Temperature Trim spray

http://www.alpha-adhesives.co.uk/whichadhesive.htm

should be easy to do but...

Ensure you always keep the material stretched over to avoid any unsightly lumps and bumps /creases, more importantly work in a space with plenty of fresh air - suggest you leave it to dry 24 hours and dont use your car during that time - not good for your lungs this stuff! :surrender:

Suggest you go for darker colours as paler colours look how can I say (cheap and very 1980's Honda!) :lol:

If you go for real alcantara then it shoudnt fade, but I would get a tint on the rear screen as is seems it has no uv protection!

I used some of the s-alcanara from ebay, its got a backing to it so its easier to stretch and move and as Stan (hes the man that knows this stuff ;) ) says thats the stuff to go for...

Looks great when its done and worth the effort :) Let me know if you need any help on anything and will try my best to help!

If you go for the real alcantara you should be fine with fading as its got a 10 year guarantee against it. The fake stuff under many names is often much easier to work with but has the big issue of fading. The blacks can fade massively.

I've been looking at doing but not got round to it yet as it won't be cheap due to the £60/m cost of the fabric alone

Cheers guys, this is the same stuff I have bought except ive gone for 4sq/m for the moment http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-Alcantara-Fabric-Pewter-Silver-Half-mtr_W0QQitemZ350208303418QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM?hash=item518a0aa13a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Seems very cheap but he assuered its the real deal and from the guys feedback he has had no complains regarding quality.

Fading shouldn't be a big issue as I am planning tints sometime soon plus we get no sun here anyway :lol:

R

If you go for the real alcantara you should be fine with fading as its got a 10 year guarantee against it. The fake stuff under many names is often much easier to work with but has the big issue of fading. The blacks can fade massively.

I've been looking at doing but not got round to it yet as it won't be cheap due to the £60/m cost of the fabric alone

Yes, I have that problem with mine. It was looking good for a very long time, but then a few days of very bright sun started it to fade and now the colour has been lost massively. As Mark points out, a UV tint over the rear screen will solve it, but I'm geting it all flocked at some point to get rid of it :thumbs:

Does look very nice when done :cloud9:

Did think about buying a flocking kit but I can just imagine it now, me covered from head to toe in adhesive and tufts of flock and bits of my dashboard spread around my garage half finished. I recon alcantara is easier :lol:

R

you would just mess your car up with a flocking kit as its crap,you need to get it done with an electrostatic flocking machine,but watch out as some people flock with an under powerd flocker and the fibers dont get drawn deep enough in to the glue so after some time thay start to fall out,flocking is really hard wearing,if done properly,cinema roofs are flocked and so was action mans head lol,

Dont bother with Fleabay and get it straight from a proper trimming supplies wholesalers ( this is mine - they have always been very good and you get the decent stuff)

http://www.segalmotortrimmings.net/www. ... cat=144072

£30+VAT / metre here for your alcantara.

Hope this helps.

In some cases real leather is actually cheaper than the polyester based copy but it only comes in cow spapes not a 54" roll! :lol:

Started covering today, what a pain in the ass it is. Its quite thick material so im struggling to get it wrapped round the doublehump on the speaker cover :rant::rant:

R

Have patience young master srobrien...........feel the fleece...... :starwars:

Make sure you have the glue just nice and dry so it grabs straight away ....keep the tension on it :snack: