Project Blog: DIY Arcade Machine - Almost Finished

marzman

Hey all,

I thought i'd post this here as i know how much we all like build projects, even thought its totally not car related!

In June i decided to build myself an arcade machine, to keep me from tinkering with my car! I always have to be working on a project of some sort as i get bored very easily!

I've only spent 2 days working on this so far... one in June and this Sunday just gone... I was originally going to use an old 15" CRT monitor i took from work but it was too small, so i've been looking for a 19" LCD - and i got one on saturday for 50quid - so the building starts again!

I bought some USB arcade sticks off eBay and dismantled them, and am currently custom mounting them in MDF... However im not happy with the quality of the buttons/stick, so after i've finished the build i'll probably revisit this area and look at professional quality parts.

I've got a PC in there and will also be including a sega dreamcast (awesome for arcade games!), and will be doing neat touches like ccfl lights etc on it...!

The downside though... its probably cost me £150 already for the monitor, sticks and wood... i didnt pay for the PC or dreamcast etc... and there's still a lot to go!

See the pics below.

Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions for good additions to it, then please shout up!

Photo1001.jpg

Photo1002.jpg

Photo1004.jpg

Photo1006.jpg

Photo1009.jpg

Photo1013.jpg

Photo1083.jpg

Photo1086.jpg

Photo1087.jpg

Photo1088.jpg

Photo1089.jpg

Photo1090.jpg

Photo1093.jpg

Photo1095.jpg

Photo1097.jpg

Updated 31st Aug 2009 - Almost finished!!

Photo1119.jpg

Photo1120.jpg

Photo1124.jpg

Photo1125.jpg

Photo1128.jpg

Photo1129.jpg

Photo1130.jpg

Photo1131.jpg

Photo1136.jpg

Photo1132.jpg

Photo1133.jpg

104_1149.jpg

104_1142.jpg

And a quick video:

coming on nicely, i like the idea, i'm very similiar, always got to have something on the go.

if it helps as a reccommendation, when you come to redo the control area maybe to use a sheet of acrylic, especially as if you ask me nicely i can cut out all the holes and fixing points with my laser cutter at work, i'd just need a good working drawing so i could put it into cad for you before i cut it. if that helps let me know. ;)

coming on nicely, i like the idea, i'm very similiar, always got to have something on the go.

if it helps as a reccommendation, when you come to redo the control area maybe to use a sheet of acrylic, especially as if you ask me nicely i can cut out all the holes and fixing points with my laser cutter at work, i'd just need a good working drawing so i could put it into cad for you before i cut it. if that helps let me know. ;)

Hey Rich,

Yeh that'd be fantastic when i get round to it! I looked at doing acrylic but wouldnt be able to drill it, but laser cutting B)

Cheers Rich!

http://www.arcadecab.com/Visitors_Cabs.htm

been a while since i last visited the above link but should help ya out :teeth:

http://www.ultimarc.com/

for all your arcade needs.

Hi Neo,

I actually did a search before i posted this topic to see if i'd mentioned it already, and i had - and you'd replied which i'd not seen. So i was looking at your ultimarc link last night and it may prove very useful - the ipaq sounds ideal!

• 3 weeks later...

Right - updated the blog with more pictures... im almost finished now! I spent half a day last saturday on it, and then all day Sunday and Monday this bank holiday.

I've still got to neaten up the wiring inside, but its good enough. I've got a PC in there which is hooked up to the arcade sticks, but there's also a Sega Dreamcast too (and i've downloaded every good game ever released!). The Dreamcast needs to use its own pads though - so i've got them hung under the controls area inside the machine... they can just be lifted out when required B)

All thats lef to do is:

Finish the edges - i need to order some T-mouldings and route a channel in the edges - to give it professional quality finish.

Get some perspex for the top... i've got a light in there and need a perspex screen. And im going to print off some arcade logos onto acetate so its a back lit image.

Decals... i've emailed a guy on eBay who makes vinyl stickers asking if he can do custom jobs... i've got a couple of really stylish street fighter graphics that i want to put on it...!

Now i just need to get a stool from argos to sit on while playing :lol:

Chris you never stop amazing me with your powers of fiddling! That is just ace! :lol:B) I did find it particularly funny in the early shots with just the telly in the chipboard case - that was the height of high Tech in 1984 ! :lol::wacko:

It looks really good now can you please build me a genuine replica wurlitzer Juke Box :D;)

Fantastic stuff Chris it reminds me when I built my Twin Record deck from Practical Electronics magazine when I was 17 - its resting in the garage still, maybe I can take it to the Hoon with us!! :lol: Still got the............. Vinyl some nice Ultravox 7inchs for Mart and Liz! :lol: (Look it up younger viewers!)

Will dig out a picture if I have one scanned somewhere so you can have a good laugh ! :blush:

Cheers for the comments guys :teeth:

I was working on the software side of it last night, and i've got this fantastic frontend call Maximus Arcade. Its totally customizeable and starts as soon as you turn the PC on. It has really flash graphics and sound, and you basically scroll though the consoles on screen, select the one you wish to play, and then select the game to play. Its all controlled through the arcade sticks/buttons. And you assign hot-keys to do things like quit the game, or shutdown the PC etc... i.e. hold buttons 3 & 4 for five seconds to shutdown... im very impressed with it.

Chris you never stop amazing me with your powers of fiddling! That is just ace! :lol:B) I did find it particularly funny in the early shots with just the telly in the chipboard case - that was the height of high Tech in 1984 ! :lol::wacko:

It looks really good now can you please build me a genuine replica wurlitzer Juke Box :D;)

Fantastic stuff Chris it reminds me when I built my Twin Record deck from Practical Electronics magazine when I was 17 - its resting in the garage still, maybe I can take it to the Hoon with us!! :lol: Still got the............. Vinyl some nice Ultravox 7inchs for Mart and Liz! :lol: (Look it up younger viewers!)

Will dig out a picture if I have one scanned somewhere so you can have a good laugh ! :blush:

Cheers Stan... yeh get your pics up too!

Im actually getting a bit stressed now as i dont know what im gonna do for my next project!

Cheers for the comments guys :teeth:

I was working on the software side of it last night, and i've got this fantastic frontend call Maximus Arcade. Its totally customizeable and starts as soon as you turn the PC on. It has really flash graphics and sound, and you basically scroll though the consoles on screen, select the one you wish to play, and then select the game to play. Its all controlled through the arcade sticks/buttons. And you assign hot-keys to do things like quit the game, or shutdown the PC etc... i.e. hold buttons 3 & 4 for five seconds to shutdown... im very impressed with it.

Cheers Stan... yeh get your pics up too!

Im actually getting a bit stressed now as i dont know what im gonna do for my next project!

Kit car...... :thumbs: