wireless network probs HELP

nixy

Having a problem with connecting to internet on my laptop. I have a BT home hub and its all fine - i can use the PC (as i am doing now) with no probs. The laptop (vista) is usually just connected automatically as soon as i switch it on. Never had a problem with the wireless connection and can get right down the garden with it etc. Now I just have no connection and my network is not listed in the options of what i can connect with.

I have chatted with Stew about this on MSN and his switch it on and off advice didn't get me very far...... :lol:

Any ideas?

I have that on mine occasionally!

Try right click the network icon (2 little tellys next to each other) in the system tray ( group of pretty pics at the bottom right of the screen) . click "diagnose and repair" and then renew the IP address...

Might not work but worth a go!

burn it!

wireless is crap, unsecure, slow, unreliable, the work of the devil :evil:

buy a million miles of CAT6 ethernet cable and your sorted :thumbs:

on a serious not i would imagine hitting the tiny reset button with a pen on the router would do it, most likely you will have to set it up again. when you turn it off make sure you leave it 10 sec or so before on again :thumbs:

hope you get it sorted

it says:

there might be a problem with one or more network adapters on this computer

plug a cable into the network adapter 'local area connection'

or

view available wireless networks

I have done the second thing but mine is just not there! Even though the hub is showing that all is fine! AAAGGHHH (mind you, you will get rid of me if I can't get it working)

mmm, never had a problem before.........but yes its on all the time. I have tried resetting it but no difference but according to the lights on it there is a strong wireless signal..........

If i don't get it sorted i will actually have to go to bed at bedtime!

it says:

there might be a problem with one or more network adapters on this computer

plug a cable into the network adapter 'local area connection'

or

view available wireless networks

I have done the second thing but mine is just not there! Even though the hub is showing that all is fine! AAAGGHHH (mind you, you will get rid of me if I can't get it working)

:teeth:

1. disconnect router

2. place router in bin

3. sit in corner and stare at wall

:p

oh heres the obvious solution, check the wireless is activated on the lappy, could be a switch on the side or a special function key, its the most common reason.

right, gotta be the router. Just plugged a belkin wireless adapter into the pc's usb. Its doing exactly the same as the laptop - picked up other people's secure wireless network but not mine.

well looks like i'll have to ring the indian call centre for a new one tomorrow.............having said that the last time I spoke to them they were bloody good! So looks like you'll all get some peace and quiet from me over the weekend........ :lol:

Having a problem with connecting to internet on my laptop. I have a BT home hub and its all fine - i can use the PC (as i am doing now) with no probs. The laptop (vista) is usually just connected automatically as soon as i switch it on. Never had a problem with the wireless connection and can get right down the garden with it etc. Now I just have no connection and my network is not listed in the options of what i can connect with.

I have chatted with Stew about this on MSN and his switch it on and off advice didn't get me very far...... :lol:

Any ideas?

vista is :bang:

mine does it now and again, i just reboot the router and off it goes. how old is the router and what make?

You guys crack me up with some of your suggestions! :lol:

Do the usual turn it off and on again, should sort it. No need to reset the router or anything. Will be an idea to reboot the laptop when you're done too, just to clear out any settings it might have temporarily saved stopping it from seeing the network. Vista is a bit pants when it comes to networks, but a quick reboot normally does the trick even when Diagnose and Repair doesnt work :thumbs:

sometimes your laptop might lose the setting for the router so needs to be re-connected manually if the "repair" option doesn't work.

You will need the SSID of the router and the encryption code to reset it.

I don't have VISTA, but i'm sure one fo the others will tell you where to reset the properties for the wifi connection

Just curious, was the PC wired to the HomeHub? Might be worth using the PC to connect to the router using your web brower and it's IP address (normally something like 192.168.2.1, exact one is probably in the manual for the device), and check if the wireless interface is up. There will probably be pages on the router for an event log too, you could paste that here and it might help diagnosing ze issue?