Vaxhaul Corsa and Astra VXR.

srobrien

Whilst on the way home minding my own business two young scally's in afore mentioned cars decided they would like to challenge me to a game of "lets see who can make it to the legal maximum designated speed on a dual carridgeway the first", I had no option but to completly trounce the pair of them!

Have to admit though they are nippy little motors, seemed to keep up with me ok, be it absolutly ragging the nuts off them I suspect.

R

aye, bth are nippy cars. but then again, theres not reeeealy that much seperating the 0-60 times to be fair, thats all down to your driving ability and how good your starts are. its on the longer stretches and higher speeds that you'll really pull away.

I really like the Corsa VXR as it does exactly what it's supposed to: Look like it's doing a million miles per hour whilst standing still, be more than quick enough for the kind of person who's going to buy it, be cheap enough to buy and run that it won't bleed you dry, and be solid enough that it won't fall apart. It's a pretty decent drive too. It's just a shame that the Meriva and Zafira absolutely killed the VXR brand dead in the water, as it had such a promising start and could've become Vauxhall's RS/Nismo/AMG.

/bitter ex-VXR220 owner

I was in the vauxhall dealer the other day and we were looking at the VXRs. His other half had an Astra VXR. The cool little corsa special edition VXR thing I was looking at was 18 grand!

It had brilliantly confy recaros though. They were made for my fat ass!

I would rather have the Corsa than astra. I like little hot hatches.

i like both... ALOT!!!! ex vx220 tubby and astra owner here.. my astra had a fair few mods and in a straight would leave my Z for dead.. i mean propa leave it for dead!!

it was dyno'd at 308 bhp at TMS..had eibach coilovers and ap racing front brake uprade so it was feisty!!!! (also the most agressive remap available from tms aswell :D)

corsa vxr's have the same potential.. irc a simple remap takes it up to near 230 bhp or summin (or 220) and i think it would be hilarious to drive with that bhp.

-ho

it was dyno'd at 308 bhp at TMS..(also the most agressive remap available from tms aswell :D)

Ah, the infamous TMS dyno. Probably was about 17bhp in reality, given how notoriously dodgy their dyno is (strapping down of the VX tubbies and all that!) ;)

If someone had a 'Stage 3' Astra VXR, I'd shy away from it, it'd pull away from a 350.

Astra's are just frenetic to be in anyway with standard power, they're never really an 'animal' to drive as they're pretty FWD, more like a cat with a bit of a temper. They're still a bit 'oh crikey' but they won't kill you.

Corsa's can be reasonably quick. Circa 210-220bhp with a re-map, more with an exhaust. Regal do a 300+ bhp kit :blink: I've driven a re-mapped one, felt standard to me....

There are quite a few Astra's which are 310- 330bhp, not uncommon. 400bhp has been done but it's a Regal Demo car I think.

I'm told that the Corsa VXR has a faster 30-70 time than a Golf R32.

And don't pay £18k for a Corsa VXR, come and see me, you can have an Astra for that with much change.

Meriva VXR's are no more, discontinued from 2010MY. Zafira's aren't that bad to drive, just, if you need a people carrier, you could at least get one that's a little more 'grown up'.

Vectra VXR's aren't fun, VXR8's are.

Oh and the white Astra's are Astra VXR Nurburgring Editions. They come with a Remus, un-officially power is around 260-265 bhp.

• 2 weeks later...

The Astra VXR is a cool car....

The 'Ring Edition looks pretty good, but i'm not a fan of the graphics on it...

I was quite disappointed with the Corsa VXR, i remember having a blast just after i got the Coupe,

and completely left it for dead.....

Its a good looking wee car, and no doubt it'll eat up its competitors no problem at all

(Fiesta ST, Polo GTi, Etc etc.....) but i'd certainly not buy one....

I can completely agree with "lilsheepshagga_turbo" i think my Astra's in the regions of 260bhp, and it don't half fly on the strights!!!

Remappiong of this engine is now getting rediculous, there's a company called Red Dot Motorsport, down in Enfield.

I was booked into there to get an "agressive / Hi Torque" remap not so long ago, but couldn't get the time off work to go.

They were only charging the lads for the Astra Owners Club about £250 because of the sheer volume of folk going, and evenbog standard cars (pretty much with just an exhaust and air filter upgrade) were getting in the regions of 245 - 260 Bhp. He reckoned he'd easily get mines above the 300 barrier, but it'd probably mean strengthening the turbo sooner, rather than later.....

Went on a bit here!!!

Bottom line, good cars for the market they are up against...

(they have also released a thorney motorsport 300bhp Astra VXR-R which claims to do 0 -60 in 5 Secs)

I'll find a picture and paste it in here...

• 2 weeks later...

Thing is though, these cars really don't handle as bad as they make out on the TV shows like Top Gear / 5th Gear etc....

For normal driving, with a bit of B road sprinting, they are actually pretty capable cars,

there just sh!te compared to cars like the Zed that have exceptional handling.... :rant:

I've always been a fan of the Vauxhalls, and even though i'm aiming for a Zed very soon,

i think i always will be :)

Thing is though, these cars really don't handle as bad as they make out on the TV shows like Top Gear / 5th Gear etc....

I had a lend of an Astra VXR for a weekend and was less than impressed when compared to the CTR i was driving at the time....... A little less power or more time spent on developing a nicer chassis and it could of been a very good car IMO.

I had a lend of an Astra VXR for a weekend and was less than impressed when compared to the CTR i was driving at the time....... A little less power or more time spent on developing a nicer chassis and it could of been a very good car IMO.

Nah, have to say i agree with you there,

it seems that Vaux were too bothered about being the had of the class Bhp wise, and forgot about how it would affect the handling. Personally i dont think its as bad as made out, but eh older shapes seem to handle the power ALOT better.....

My astra Coupe was in the regions of about 260bhp, and apart from on very tight corners, it coped very well for a heavy FWD car.

it seems that Vaux were too bothered about being the had of the class Bhp wise, and forgot about how it would affect the handling. Personally i dont think its as bad as made out, but eh older shapes seem to handle the power ALOT better.....

My astra Coupe was in the regions of about 260bhp, and apart from on very tight corners, it coped very well for a heavy FWD car.

Yeah, I too had a high powered fwd car....... my civic type R was 290bhp and handled the power amazingly well; it just all depends on the chassis setup....... (New Focus RS comes to mind) something I feel Vaux overlooked and opted for a bhp number in lieu of how the car would actually handle. Imagine it would be easily rectified with a few suspension mods tho' :thumbs:

Yeah there's more than a few folk on the AOC site with 300Bhp+ VXR's....

Seems that all they really need is a stiff suspension setup and an LSD to try asnd eliminate the wheelspin as much.

Still,

cracking looking motors... I'd own one over a Golf / Focus / Megane / Civic ANY DAY. :lol: