Girlfriend learning to drive - Nooooooooooo!

Fien

My girlfriend has now decided that she's going to get her driving licence. Now for all that i am in being supportive of her with this it's only going to lead to future issues with my Zed!

It's the only car we have and as i'm sure you know the Zed isnt exactly a good car to learn in or a first car to learn the ropes in. I've had enough arse twitching moments with the traction control myself to know that a learner with the rear wheel drive and a wet road is an accident waiting to happen! :crutches: I dont as a result really want to lose my girlfriend................. or my car!

Once she passes we'll get a little cheap run around for her to get to grips with but as a long term solution for the amount of driving we do we cant really justify having 2 cars with the additional expense. Now i think i can hold her off for about 12months after she passes but she's already started mentioning selling the Zed and getting something more suitable between us. She's well aware that it's something that i'm not keen on (as i've made my feelings perfectly clear), but deep down i know that she's actually being sensible and as i result i might have to cave in at some point in the future.

Has anybody else had this problem and if so have u got any pointers on how to reconcile it?

P.s i know getting rid of my girlfriend would solve the solution but i'd like to try and avoid that one :blush:

Let her drive the Zed, just not above 3k RPM. She'll be fine with it. I let my missus drive and shes fine with it. Its not like you have a 400BHP TT Zed is it! Keep the revs low and its a pussy cat to drive, nice and smooth, and forgiving with loads of torque. Just no lessons in the wet :drive1

Just leave the manouvers for with her driving instructor, dont want any kerbed alloys going on :scare:

Use the instructors car until she is well advanced in the driving. Then suprise her with something cheap that she will love. She will have let you know by that time what she likes.

You will then have a practical runaround and the zed for yourself :)

There will only be 2 ways my mrs will ever get near my car.....the first is the passanger seat (only just) the other is the boot!! No offence to women but no women will ever drive my zed!!!!!!!!! An example of my mum......we have a fairly large drive way. There is a tree at the top that has been there for years......my mum has reversed into it 3 times now and has also managed to reverse into our lodgers car (even have this on cctv)

Ive got a similar issue bud. My missus is having a baby in January and wants me to sell the Z but no way thats happening she has a 5 door focus so no problemo !!!

Be firm but fair.... tell her your keeping the car but you will support her more around the house so she can have more free time to get a job to save up for her own little pride and joy car.

Problem solved ! :thumbs:

Ha, you all make good points. :lol:

I know that if she did drive it i'm gonna find the alloys kerbed, scrathes and dints all over it. I'd be furious if it happens :rant: and would rather avoid the months of not talking in advance.

I also love the fact that i've got my own car and i love looking after it and it's just gonna p!ss me off sharing it. Plus i know she wont look after it as well as me!

Havent done a budget but i'm pretty sure that we cant afford to pay for another car as well as the zed. The money i've got tied up in the zed could always be put to something else cheaper. Get a decent everyday car that we both can drive and then get an older sports car that i can keep for myself for occassional driving, something along the lines of an rx7. would only occassionally use it so could keep the costs down.

Anytime she is thinking about going for a drive in it you just make up a technical sounding problem with it.

"Ooh sorry, I'd love to let you take out the Zed but the rear differential flux diffuser has just packed up and I'm waiting for parts from Japan"

Most women will

a. not have a clue and

b. Be awed by your manly car knowledge!

:thumbs:;)

Ha, you all make good points. :lol:

...and would rather avoid the months of not talking in advance.

Why not stop talkin now and the problem won't come up :teeth:

I also love the fact that i've got my own car and i love looking after it and it's just gonna p!ss me off sharing it. Plus i know she wont look after it as well as me!

Absolute guarantee for tears for you if you have to share an old shed then (or indeed any 'boring' car)

Havent done a budget but i'm pretty sure that we cant afford to pay for another car as well as the zed.

Of course you can. As martin says, you can pick up a runabour for peanuts.l. My friend bought a polo for £20 and has done nearly 5000 fault free miles in it so far. Also, if he dents it, he doesn't care :thumbs: ( :scare: ). Plus you can be all manly and fix it for her at the weekends.

What it comes down to is how much you love your Z.

Anytime she is thinking about going for a drive in it you just make up a technical sounding problem with it.

"Ooh sorry, I'd love to let you take out the Zed but the rear differential flux diffuser has just packed up and I'm waiting for parts from Japan"

Most women will

a. not have a clue and

One fatal flaw.... she will then say to sell it as it's unreliable!

My girlfriend goes on my insurance in a weeks time. I'm hoping she drives my landrover more than the zed!

Tell her the insurance won't allow newly passed drivers on a 3.5 litre V6. :thumbs:

People keep mentioning that you should buy her a runabout, but as she wants you to sell the zed, I'm assuming she wants something newer to drive around in. As the car is yours, i assume you bought it/pay the loan and she doesn't. My opinion would be that if she wants a newer car then she should buy one herself and keep her nose out of what your driving ;)

Tell her the insurance won't allow newly passed drivers on a 3.5 litre V6. :thumbs:

People keep mentioning that you should buy her a runabout, but as she wants you to sell the zed, I'm assuming she wants something newer to drive around in. As the car is yours, i assume you bought it/pay the loan and she doesn't. My opinion would be that if she wants a newer car then she should buy one herself and keep her nose out of what your driving ;)

Goodness me! That all sounded very sensible :scare:;):lol: Although maybe best repeated in a more diplomatic fashion :blackeye:

Seriously, have her learn on the instructor's car. You don't want her learning on the Zed. It's like learning to swim in the Niagara falls. She won't get to see the fun in it while she's gasping for her life. :scare:

Get her the cheap car so she can build her driving confidence. Show her that you're not afraid to drive with her in the small car - but also how much more comfortable the Zed is. She won't be able to appreciate the zed until she has the confidence to drive it - and that's going to take time.

When my wife first saw the zed (a while ago) she hated it - she thought it was too big for her and wouldn't even consider driving one. She well changed her mind now!

I remember it not being a nice moment the first time my g/f drove mine on her own.... Its when she wheel span away that the old claker valve started pumping!! :drive1

I now simply go with the terms of "you break it you pay for it"! and after all its just a car and repairable! She just wont have the cash to spend on shoes and handbags!

I think diplomancy is definately the way to go. when she first mentioned it my knee jerk reaction was ta laugh in her face and say fook off! :headhurt: That didnt go down well!

She's 28, I definitely use the insurance thing to not get her insured on the Zed. It'd probably cost an arm and a leg to put her on it any way so that's a perfect excuse. Something like a 1.0l Polo for £200 would be perfect.

I might just try and get as much as i can paid off the car in the next 12 months so i can reduce my loan on it. I've got a facelift model tho so the £400plus tax a year is just a killer. However like Sarnie said, i pay for it so tough!! Could always up her keep!!!

No offence to women but no women will ever drive my zed!!!!!!!!!

:slap:

I agree with what Sarnie and Martin say! Get her to buy a cheap runaround or whatever she likes! Why do you have to share anything! My car is mine - end of! No learner would be getting in it male or female. Of course, when you want a lift back from the pub and you've gone out in your car i'm sure you'll see things differently........... :p

No offence to women but no women will ever drive my zed!!!!!!!!!

:slap:

I agree with what Sarnie and Martin say! Get her to buy a cheap runaround or whatever she likes! Why do you have to share anything! My car is mine - end of! No learner would be getting in it male or female. Of course, when you want a lift back from the pub and you've gone out in your car i'm sure you'll see things differently........... :p

''I'll get a taxi home..........................I'm drunk and I still won't get in'' hick :drunk:

:lol: I'm so glad this discussion came up .................look at you ll running for the hills at the thought of your partners driving your baby :headhurt: ............ so you guys in Scotland (Alex!!) will of course now stop asking me when Gary's going to drive the zed won't you?!

There will only be 2 ways my mrs will ever get near my car.....the first is the passanger seat (only just) the other is the boot!! No offence to women but no women will ever drive my zed!!!!!!!!! An example of my mum......we have a fairly large drive way. There is a tree at the top that has been there for years......my mum has reversed into it 3 times now and has also managed to reverse into our lodgers car (even have this on cctv)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Most women will

a. not have a clue and

Oh dear, and you were doing so well, until the "flux". :wacko: Dear, oh dear, oh dear. :doh:

I don't like anyone else driving my car, not even when it's been in for a service and they road test it.

Go with your initial idea, buy a second car, bonus, you'll be able to park it anywhere too. ;) And secondly, shouldn't she be buying her own car. :p