router woes :(

Husky

right, this place is full of techy people so i thought someone may be able to help.

backstory: just been on the phone to plusnet about my rediculously annoying internet cutting out hthat started today. cuts out every couple of mins for 20 to 60 secs then back again for a few mins then repeat process. after changing microfilters, taking pohone out socket, testing line, reseting, etc etc i figure it must be the router. it has the bradband light on but the internet light is intermittent at best. so plusnet are sending out a new one for me to try. in the mean time i have just put it on a bag of ice and its working more (but still had to try and post this 5 times before its worked), this as you can imagine has a limited time of operation before theres a large puddle :dry:

they supply a thompson pile of s**te. anyone got any reccomendations for a good brand to buy, i have had belkins in the past and they have been good. im not to worried about cost but i dont need it to broadcast wireless down the street and beyond as everything is wired in my house. any suggestions would be more than welcome

cheers in advance guys :thumbs:

Netgear, Netgear, Netgear. I personally wouldn't touch anything else, although this free black thing from Sky I'm using now isn't actually too bad either to be fair to it.

Are you connecting via wires or wirelessly?

just got it working after a while of it not playing ball the 2nd reset did not work. got a couple of routers lying about, one has no plug and the other is cable :dry:

i'll go out and buy a new one tomorrow, i was planning on changing it anyway as i expected something like this to happen. free routers are the worst.

cheers for the offer of the old one :thumbs: im going to need one pretty quick unfortunately so i will pick one up tomorrow. :thumbs::thumbs:

this is a pain in the a**e!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang::bang::bang:

There aren't really many red herrings as long as you go with a fairly mature brand. Depends if you want to do anything clever with them really that would draw you to a specific brand, but as said, Netgear, Belkin, Linksys, etc all do the job.

Just to throw something extra in though, if this issue has suddenly come on, it may also be due to environmental conditions. There are a lot of things that can affect a line enough for a ADSL connection to drop. As an example, I was out at a site last week where BT - in their glorious wisdom - had activated an ADSL connection on a line used by an ancient greet system - every time it's used it would without fail drop the ADSL, something to do with the way voltage is lowered when the 'call' was being made (I dunno, I'm no engineer. :lol: )

it seems if i turn router off for sustained period i get it working for a little longer, makes me think its router related. tbh the freebee thompson router wasnt built to withstand the full on constant data stream going through it for the last week solid :lol: i gave my massive good belkin router to my mum and dad as i networked thier whole house with sockets and cat 6 cable. well new router tomorrow, a good one, im thinknig belkin as i know how to fiddle witht the settings for port forwarding etc. makes life easier i suppose. i have to say though the interface for the thompson was pretty good.

I originally had a Thompson item from way back when BT first started Broadband, and it was utter rubbish.

I have since been using Netgear Routers with no issues at all.

Just keep the firmware up to date and you should be fine.

Currently using a Netgear DG834N, which I reboot regularly once a week.

I was peering in underneath thinkning that due to the temperature related fixes. then i see it had a fan shaped vent but no fan that i can see. strange it would start now and not for the last month... so whats the verdict from the network guru's is there a little know amazing brand out there thats a bit pricey but amazingly good?

Well most routers have vents for the heat to escape, but usually they don't have fans built into them.

If you can, either get a can of compressed air (or air duster as they are also called) and blow through the unit.

You'll be suprised how much dust these things can suck up.

I took my Playstation 3 to my local garage and used their airline with a blowgun and did exactly that.

the main mechanic and I were amazed at how much dust came flying out

Well most routers have vents for the heat to escape, but usually they don't have fans built into them.

If you can, either get a can of compressed air (or air duster as they are also called) and blow through the unit.

You'll be suprised how much dust these things can suck up.

I took my Playstation 3 to my local garage and used their airline with a blowgun and did exactly that.

the main mechanic and I were amazed at how much dust came flying out

when i worked in an electrical store as a salesman we had these for "sevicing purposes" :lol: great for freezing someones crotch! leaves a lovely big white patch that goes away in time. oh and gives freezer burns :cold:

im thinknnig this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =NW-094-DL

That's a modem for Cable (Virgin Media and the like), not Broadband (BT and the like)

sorry didnt even pay attention, was reading review on the adsl one and just threw it into OC's to get a price didnt think to check cable/adsl. dont worry im not that thick that i would buy it without checking :lol:

bored of looking now. going to do a pcworld job :scare: and just buy one they have in stock that seems good. i hate myself for giving in to this. really high spec computer and a pile o cack router.

im bored some usefull soul pick for me lol. ;) (god im lazy

budget: under £100

service: ADSL

Use: downloading and gaming(pc and xbox), oh and this forum :blush:

Colour: black would be nice :D

cheers in advance :thumbs:

Cheers BM i owe you a beer or two :thumbs:

i think im going to go for the netgear one http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... -NG&tool=5 you suggested. its nice to have it narrowed down to 2 for once. so used to having doing that for people you get bored of it.

my old job went like this:

Me = "its between this tv and this one sir"

customer = "why not the other ones"

me = "because, if i give you to much choice you'll be head f**ked, so pick one and be ignorant its easier"

customer = "oh..."

EDIT: BTW it costs £30 more in pcworld :rant: why am i not surprised.

i thinks im right in saying this is the same one?

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop ... ID=B131668

netgear all the way. never had a problem with them now. have quite a few on the go in various places. As long as you'v got the username and password your service provider gave you, its a very simple set up.

need the ocasional reset but part from that...... perfect

sounds like you may just have a dodgy router.

I have a Thompson 585 and its been great - after upgrade to it from a netgear I was able to tweak my connection up from around 11Mbit to 13Mib....shame that Tiscali have now limited me to 8 - time to say bye bye :D

got new router today:

got out box,

plug it all in,

put CD in,

Setup asks noob questions,

toss CD in bin,

Enter IP address,

set up router,

have cup of tea and scone.

so i know the router is definately set up correctly. yet it still cuts out periodically. so theres only one bunch of b****rds to blame now!!! :angry:

Time to ring the ISP again. grrrr.

This may help or be no good, brother...err i mean, bud (I'm being ripped for calling people 'brother' at the mo) but when I linked my xbox to my Netgear router, when I first had wireless, it would automatically cut out after 15 mins and I couldn't work out why. If the router didn't receive activity after 15 mins it would automatically cut out. For some reason it didn't recognise my xbox live activity; even though I was on there. I phoned the provider and he changed a pre-set timer on the router and all was good. May help......may just be a minute of your life you wont get back after reading. :p

hmm the funny thing about this is it didnt start all that long after getting xbox live up but tbh i played for hours for a week or so without it happening. internet is going dead slow at the moment now but it isnt cutting out just now. im going to see if it gets better later on at nigh, if so its a network loading issue possibly. really it is mega frustrating. now ive used two different routers of different brands i think i can rule them out hopefully. could be BT could be ISP.