router woes :(

Husky

Have you enabeled UPnP on the router?

ney, i havent. but i assumed it was on by default, that would make sense. i'll check when i get home.

there are a few things that happend rounda about the time it started happening.

1: xbox media extender thing. I set this up and to do so made rules in my firewall specifically for this purpose, the rules were straight from the guide on doing this. After deciding the system was of no use to me i removed the custom rules i had made. however, when the computer is off and its xox live i have the same problem.

2: my neighbors have moved out leaving thier house empty. we share the one phone line with two lines down it, cant remember what this system is called, its for when BT havent got enough space to add the extra line.

My thought now after eliminating other things is it may be a line fault. who knows, maybe my neighbor damaged the phone line when moving out and as we share the same route to the exchange its duffed mine up. tried phoning plusnet last night but unlike last time they were very busy so i left it, will continue the saga tonight :headhurt:

If you bought the Netgear, then you don't really need your firewall on your PC.

The router should have a double firewall anyway.

I have no firewall on my PC and have yet to receive any odd bits of software, nor has my bank account been hacked and emptied, lol

When I setup my Netgear, I didn't even bother with the CD that came with it, just logged into the default IP 192.168.0.1 and set it up from there.