how loud and how much power

Dblock

I was wondering if i got a japspeed y pipe, manifold, decat and k1 exhaust maybe a k2. How loud would that be and how much power roughly would i gain. I have a 2002 jdm so it shouldn't over compensate. I would be looking for a remap later also.

Thanks

Power gains would most likely be cancelled out, but seeing as you have an '02 JDM, I may well be wrong, because there has been mentions that the early JDM's ECUs don't cancel out the mods.

If you do manifold, y-pipe, decats and the K1, then you'd might want to invest in some eardefenders too, lol.

The K2 will be quite a bit quieter I'd say.

If you do manifold, y-pipe, decats and the K1, then you'd might want to invest in some eardefenders too, lol.

Exactly what he said. It would be rather loud to put it bluntly. You'd get around 10hp from those mods, even more combined with a popcharger and plenum spacer.

Put it this way, running the Zed without any exhaust in place at all but still with the stock cats on is exactly the same volume as having the K1 fitted, just a different tone. Without any cats at all it would be impossibly loud and you'd get stopped by the police within minutes (and rightly so IMHO). Either get a K2 exhaust and decat or go K1 and leave the stock cats in.

I would go for the latter, as otherwise you're going to be swapping your cats/decat pipes over twice a year for the MOT.

Power gains would most likely be cancelled out, but seeing as you have an '02 JDM, I may well be wrong, because there has been mentions that the early JDM's ECUs don't cancel out the mods.

I, as am sure many others, would like a finite answer to this - do the early JDM's (mine is 2002) ECU's cancel out mods?

I, as am sure many others, would like a finite answer to this - do the early JDM's (mine is 2002) ECU's cancel out mods?

The ecu does not cancel out the mods. The ecu just adjusts itself to them. Take a look at my dyno sheets in my thread.

Ok so power wise is there a difference between the k1 or the k2? Also is there any power to be had from the Y pipe.

Ian, I have heard the manifold is one of the best ways to get power. According to the add 14bhp I dont belive that but even ifs half its still good?

I don't mind changing the cats about my garage does it and its like 20quid to do so its not a problem.

Also my system isnt going to be 3000w only about 2krms :byebye:

Ok so power wise is there a difference between the k1 or the k2? Also is there any power to be had from the Y pipe.

Ian, I have heard the manifold is one of the best ways to get power. According to the add 14bhp I dont belive that but even ifs half its still good?

I don't mind changing the cats about my garage does it and its like 20quid to do so its not a problem.

Also my system isnt going to be 3000w only about 2krms :byebye:

Changing the manifolds is a big job, I was quoted 8-10 hours labour to fit them :) You wont get anywhere near 14bhp gain with them until you sort the EMS aswell & even then I highly doubt a 14bhp gain :)

PM 3FiddyZ, hes recently had some headers fitted so will be able to tell you if its worth it.

I would do HFC/Decat, Y-Pipe, Exhaust & a tune & leave it at that :thumbs:

Yes nurrish, but yours is a UK '05, not a '02 JDM.

We do know that the UK ECUs all "adapt" to engine mods, but like I mentioned before, some early JDMs didn't adapt the mods and the gains stayed.

Agreed - I know for a fact I am getting better performance than stock - but if I do more mods I want to know I will get further benefits

Yes nurrish, but yours is a UK '05, not a '02 JDM.

We do know that the UK ECUs all "adapt" to engine mods, but like I mentioned before, some early JDMs didn't adapt the mods and the gains stayed.

Okay so what would a UK 53 do to any mods? Adapt or cancel them out?

i think if you ran the K1 with and no bungs its something like 110 dbs with the bungs in its about 90dbs if i remember correctly form Ekona doing a db check. as for adding a y pipe, it should change the note, but shouldn't add that much to noise level. if you add a decat pipe i gather it makes it extremely raspy and not in a good way, so you might want to go here a couple first. as for headers, a lot of work for not a lot of gain.

I run a K1 with aftermarket Y pipe, high flow cats and the bungs out and it is very loud. I'll get a reading at Castle Coombe for you all.

With the High flow cats i cant put the bungs in as it sounds really crap and raspy but nurrish has the bungs in on his with sandard cats and it sounds great.

As rtbiscuit says, I think it would be really really raspy with tes pipes/decat :thumbdown:

The ECU cancelling mods is a MYTH!! Can't believe people are still saying this!

Yep the word cancelling is still being bounded about! The ECU keeps the car within its set tollerences and original capabilities. It appears the early JDM cars had a different ECU that has wider tollerences so freeing up airflow etc the results are not pegged back....

Manifolds do help with the airflow side of things as they allow equal flow (and a much nicer noise!) as the stocks are about 40/35/25 but then you need to look at the bore of the cat/hiflow/decat pipes y-pipe and then zorst as any changes in the internal diamaters are going to restrict airflow and ruin any gains that you have from the manifolds.

Yep, there not cheap, yes they are a PITA to fit, but if your carrying on with mods every little helps.. If you do fit / get fitted then make sure you heatwrap. Also if your going for a piggyback / remap then they will be benificial...

From research decats and true dual zorsts (with appropriate air flow balancing) seem to be a good way forward, if I was looking at a new zorst system thats the way I would go.. Go with hiflows if you cant be arsed to change them over at MOT. you just need to be careful when it comes to tuning with things like the AFR... mine was touch and go on getting a green light on the 10 second emmisions test.

Have a look back through posts by Adam from Z1 as he lists his modifications and tuning v his gains..

Also if your going down this route its advisable to get a baseline dyno to see whay your car is doing before you start fitting zorsts as this will give you an indication of what your car is doing now and what effects mods are making...