Soldiers Bodies Return

Jon350z

I'm just watching the news at work and they are showing the pictures from RAF Lyneham, The 8 service men killed in Afghanistan last week have been bought home.

I wanted to say something about how much I respect the brave people are that serve our country. My thoughts are with the families of the men killed last week.

RIP

i know when i was looking at joining the navy as an officer, i spent some time down at HMS collingwood, they have all the new recruits through there and the artificer aprentices etc, some are only just 16, and i know its the same for the RAF and Army as well.

i remember walking through and thinking how young some of them looked.

i'll drink to their bravery and their sacrifice.

The people of Wotton-Bassett next to RAF Lyneham are absolutely brilliant. Whenever there's a repatriation, they're out in force lining the streets, paying their respects whatever the weather. There were a couple of old boys with snow on their shoulders in the winter, stood to attention at the procession passed.

All training the forces were doing prior to this year was geared towards 'A war', now the emphasis of training is geared towards 'The war' (Afghan). We're going to be there for a few years yet with no sign of an end state at the moment. The training is excellent and the equipment is improving. Unfortunately the Taliban realised they can't beat NATO head on and have now adopted insurgency tactics with IED's, Suicide bombers, etc, which is why the fatalities have risen sharply. Once NATO have adapted these deaths should be minimised.

The death rate of Brit soldiers raised during Op TELIC 7 - 10 (Iraq 06-07) due to IED's but new tactics were formulated and deaths were minimised. The one thing the Soviets didn't have was the support of the Afghan people. Once they're fully trained and can secure their own country, we can look at 'popping smoke' and leaving.

To the boys that have given their lives including a fellow RMP Sergeant - Respect to you all, Brothers and Sisters.

I must say, where the forces are involved I am hugely British.

Me too, I don't agree with a lot that this counrty does and the way it is run, but when it comes to the men and women that serve our county I am truly patriotic and proud.

I live and work just near MOD Woodbridge, Agreed some on them look very young. Far too young to lose their lives.

To those that have lost their lives - Thank you for being brave, you have done something i am far to weak to ever consider doing. Rest in Peace.