Dyno'd my 2003 GT

St3v50z

Ok, well i had the 350z rolling roaded today on a Dyno Dynamics, (in warm conditions mind), and it got 261BHP/213WHP & 247ft/lbs Torque, and the AFR was between 12-13 the entire run. Only mods include Nismo Cat-Back and JWT Pop Charger.

It is a fair bit less power than it should in 'theory' be making standard. It has had new plugs and new oil recently, seems to drive fine, so not entirely sure why it is down where it is, or is this fairly normal for a 2003 model with 60k?

Maybe the fact that it is a warm day, they kept the bonnet down, and it did suffer severe heat soak due traction issues on the dyno (they couldnt get the rear tyres to grip and stop wheel spinning which delayed it for about 20mins before they even got a correct reading!). So i'm not entirely suprised by the result, and i did say it would be around 260 before i went lol, so i am not disappointed by it, but i would of liked it to be more you know..?

Is there anything i can do, or should i resign to the fact that this is simply how it is...? Maybe on a cooler day and less heat soak it could see between 270-280hp?

Graph:

350zBHP.jpg

350zWHP.jpg

Your torque curve looks good up til about 5k RPM where it seems to drop off a little quicker than I would expect. Peak torque is spot on for a standard car, just it tails off quickly at higher RPMs which means your BHP has suffered. Not sure what the cause of it is though. Perhaps heat soak, more likely something else. Dont know what though :wacko:

As a comparison I have a JDM 53 and only have a K&N Typhoon and my results were 268.9HP and peak tq was 270. It was a warm day and i was last to go on the dyno after 5/6 other Zeds. I was also running standard unleaded so hoping that now I am running better fuel I would get slightly better results. There was another Zed there that got low 260s Hp though if that makes you feel any better?!?

JDM's almost always get better results than UK cars unfortunatly...

Are your numbers ATW or are they translated to the fly number?

At the moment ( :ninja: ) at the wheels I went from 215 to 238 torques and hp went from 239 to 245 and thats with a couple of mods and now a piggyback....

I would suggest looking at a plenum spacer for more torque...

Very strange about it taking sometime to get going on the dyno :wacko: not heard that one before...

Does the MotorDyne plenum spacer require tuning to see benefits, or is it a bolt on mod which will just work?

Its bolt on and be mated with the MREV 2 for max benefits :thumbs:

It is fair to expect max benefit as with any other bolt on performance mod by tuning. RST tuning is now making this dream possible :clap:

I have an MREV2 plenum for sale BTW going for spacer money. see: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=23813

I had it on my GT4 with good mid range torque but iity has to go because i want the higher HP that the GT4 plenum gives B) (at the expense of torque though :thumbdown: ) as i intend to track the car every summer at the Ring.

PM me with a decent offer and its yours ;)

Does the MotorDyne plenum spacer require tuning to see benefits, or is it a bolt on mod which will just work?

Its bolt on and be mated with the MREV 2 for max benefits :thumbs:

Thought the MREV2 was only applicable for the Revup engine?

Maybe the fact that it is a warm day, they kept the bonnet down,

This can majorly affect the power you see. Can't remember the exact stats but temps can play soo much part in it - not only the abient temp but the engine bay temp. By keeping the bonnet closed it will have got way way hotter than it does in the real world. Even putting a big fan in front provides no where near the air flow you would get when driving along at 60/70mph.

As long as it feels good then I would not be too worried.

Yes, i would agree. Their reason for keeping the bonnet down is that you wouldnt drive around with your bonnet up, so why do a dyno with it up, they think that it is a fairer test, but nevermind. They do have a huge fan in front of the car, but still like you say, it's not like the real world. My Pop Charger filter was probably soaking up the heat long before they even got a correct run due to the traction issues.

The car does feel good, it pulls clean away from my freinds 330 Club Sport and Audi TT 225 like no tomorrow, and it isnt a mile away from my mates E39 M5 either, so it can't be too bad :)

When I dyno'd my car it was the same kind of setup with the bonnet down, and due to the way the 350z intake works, its not a fair test with a popcharger. I had heat soak and temps were higher than standard, but I still got 240WHP (280BHP). So while heat soak is an issue, you still should have hit good numbers. Think about all the guys in the US, their intake temps on a normal day are as high as ours on a really really hot day over here, so it must be able to make those numbers in the heat too.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, i would agree. Their reason for keeping the bonnet down is that you wouldnt drive around with your bonnet up, so why do a dyno with it up, they think that it is a fairer test, but nevermind. They do have a huge fan in front of the car, but still like you say, it's not like the real world. My Pop Charger filter was probably soaking up the heat long before they even got a correct run due to the traction issues.

The car does feel good, it pulls clean away from my freinds 330 Club Sport and Audi TT 225 like no tomorrow, and it isnt a mile away from my mates E39 M5 either, so it can't be too bad :)

Just fitted a popcharger the other day and they dont suck up warm air!! far from it.... Compared to my typhoon filter the pop charger does reduce the temp of both my CAI tube and the plenum... But then I am still using the typhoon scoop!

Ran a fair few dyno runs yesterday (about 30) with the hood up and down and no real temp differences, did have one little issue though.. I was down to about 240bhp and this was down to texaco fuel.... (DO NOT USE IT!!!) but do know that Zeds do like 120 octain fuel now!! Car is all fine again now with a 291 run today!

Did you just swap over the filter then Mark? Before you were running an open K&N, so a pop charger should make no difference to an open K&N as they are both cotton filters. Unless you are talking about your enclosed K&N but then I would expect that to be lower than a pop charger! Interesting results. You going to post up your results in the Dyno results thread? ;)

Typhoons are closed end... No velocity stack....

Lots of results to follow... lots of dyno info after extensive testing!

Get an ARC intake ;) My temps are quite low now compared to when I had the popcharger :)

Well with regards to mine, TBH i dont know what to say, as there is nothing really wrong with it, i mean it seems to run fine and everything, just the hissing fuel pump thing i get sometimes after a good run...and i use V Power fuel only.

It could just be the way it is, i mean it's not as if every VQ engine is exactly the same tolerances, so you have to take manufacturer figures with a pinch of salt. I trust the dyno i used, because it has been spot on with all my other cars. As i say, my only excuse was that it was very warm, but meh, either way, i can't mend what isnt broken...

3FIDDYZ and Ian......you haven't put your input into my tune/dyno thread??? i thought you both would be quite vocal about this..... :blush:

Must have missed it :blush: Will have a look for it now :thumbs: