First scare in the wet

linkster

Had my Zed 18 months and always been amazed at it's stability, in general been careful in rain or snow, last night on what I thought were drying roads left a roundabout I've done a thousand times before at about 50 found myself going properly sideways, corrected it but only enough to plough straight up a kerb and onto a grass verge. Amazingly other than half a field stuck to the underside and alignment of the steering wheel (possibly my imgination) it seems to be OK.

Dunno what it was - some standing water or just being tired - but seems like a very lucky escape.

Take it easy all!

Couple years back I had a incident, going around a gradual bend and the back came out spun twice skimmed the central reservation - got away with a Damaged Bumper and Bonnet!

Was cold and wet December mind, and near a Lorry pack was not sure if it was Deisel or Rain!??! :scare:

Glad to hear no serious damage or injuries! If the road is damp or wet I always "tiptoe" around roundabouts in my bridgestones! Of course, if you drive like a TIT then you can expect to pay for it one way or another :dry: IMHO whether you have Bridgstones or Falkens, its up to you as the driver to judge the capabilities of your car, suspension, tyres, and indeed the weather/road condition before taking a corner or roundabout at high speed regardless of how well you know it.

Glad to hear no serious damage or injuries! If the road is damp or wet I always "tiptoe" around roundabouts in my bridgestones! Of course, if you drive like a TIT then you can expect to pay for it one way or another :dry: IMHO whether you have Bridgstones or Falkens, its up to you as the driver to judge the capabilities of your car, suspension, tyres, and indeed the weather/road condition before taking a corner or roundabout at high speed regardless of how well you know it.

+1

probably diesel on the road ?

lucky escape there. hopefully u havent done that much damage.

if the road is even damp in the slightest then i drive like my gran. Had it twitch on me a few times when even driving slowly so have decided not to even get anywhere near the limit!

Sounds like diesel to me.

I am paranoid about it being a biker dude.

Sounds very lucky indeed.

Interesting, I did a test at a skid training day with my work and they asked you to do brake and avoid at various speeds and they adjusted the car to various grip conditions. You would be AMAZED by how much easier the car is to control at 5mph less the speed you think is fine. Something for everyone to bear in mind perhaps. Less is sometimes more!

ive done the whole spinning thing in a previous car. managed to do a full 360 degree spin off a round about into the central reservation. wiping out 2 signposts and a white bollard. no damamge to the side of the car as it went up and over the sign posts etc and they folded under neath damamging the floor pan instead. cost the insurance company nearly £5000 to repair. they did an excellent job though and it drove like a dream.

i have learnt not to take work routes for granted, i drove that roundabout 1000's of times and the one day i didn't pay attention i lost it. :blush:

Sorry to hear this :surrender:

Statistically, your route to work is where you are most likely to crash. As Rich said, you know the road so you dont always pay full attention. All it takes is 5MPH too quick as Stew points out to cause this in damp conditions. Not saying you didnt pay attention but its how it happens most of the time. Sounds like there may have been something on the road to stop the TC kicking in and saving it as you were unlikely to stab the throttle in the wet if you knew the rounderbout.

In a previous car i spun out coming off a roundabout i thought i knew. it had a proper chicane out of it with el massivo kerbs either side. luckily i missed them and it was really wide after, which i used all of the tarmac. 360 spin and facing the wrong way on the other side of the road.. not good.

You should be going a speed that allows for unexpected changes in variables eg traction, conditions, other drivers, car malfunction. but tbh ive travelled behind a petrol tanker leaking everywhere and your a lucky bu**er if you make it out that one!

sounds like a diesel spill matey. :thumbdown:

If you try to drive your car beyond the limits of Grip, tyres, suspension, road conditions, YOU WILL DEFINITELY LOSE IT!

You just need to remember the STIG driving that supercar, and losing it big time, although it didnt have a rear Wing, he pushed the Limits...and his luck, clearly his luck ran out.

i once spun my L200 pick up truck on a roundabout full 360 and slid into a petrol station opening backwards between two brick pillars! some how didn't hit a thing! that thing went sideways more than the Z no wieght on the rear wheels!