Changing gauge / dial LED's to white, pics page 12

Husky

Guess what arrived :D

[attachment=1]090703_125008.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]090703_125223.jpg[/attachment]

time to get soldering!!!!! although there are a few guides already out there for this i think i'll write one up using the parts ive ordered locally(uk) with as many pics as possible. i decided to go for white for everything except the centre dots of the AC controls which will be blue. will keep everyone posted on the progress. going to order the new gauge faces today, reminds me, i need to find a guide on removing cluster and triple gauges. wish me luck! :D

Good luck mate! The AC controls look superb when they're done!

Tbh though, i hope it goes wrong for you... because if it doesnt then i'll surely try this myself, and it'll definitely go wrong for me - so i need you to put me off :lol::lol:

Good luck bud, let us know how you get on! Theres been another post on my350z the other day from some guy doing a guide and it seems simpler than I remember from what hes posted. However, I wouldnt do it on my only dash, I would want a spare one which costs mucho money :thumbdown:

yeah after much hunting for a spare dash i decided it was too expensive to justify getting one. if it goes tits up i'll get a new one then :wacko::surrender: was going to get a free set of centre gauges from a friend but no more.

so, sod it, ive done worse things to £250k prototypes at work :lol:

im starting with the door switches first to see how it goes. passenger side first, if that stops working its no real loss. i need to order a set of dials before i begin on the main face as i believe they are tinted orange stock. also need to get the stuff for changing the lcd panels. much to do. might go onto the ac controls after the doors. will need to get the bose changed for it to look right really cos thats all matching orange.

edit: any suggestions what to order? http://www.blackcatcustom.com/Nissan%20350Z.htm

OK!

Ive changed the single LED in the passenger door to white.

good news, the soldering is **** easy i dont know what everone is whining about and i didnt even use tweezers! :lol:

bad news, maybe. the white led is really dim, i dont know how this compares to the orange. im going to have to take the drivers side out to compare them in the same light, it is sunny outsde and in that light you can barely see the orange drivers side anyway so untill its dark i wont know if the LED's i have will do the trick.

fingers crossed.

or, can someone tell me how easy it is to see the orange glow from the passenger window switch in the daylight? eg can you see it turning on and off while sitting in the drivers seat? would be good to have 2 side by side really...

OK!

Ive changed the single LED in the passenger door to white.

good news, the soldering is **** easy i dont know what everone is whining about and i didnt even use tweezers! :lol:

bad news, maybe. the white led is really dim, i dont know how this compares to the orange. im going to have to take the drivers side out to compare them in the same light, it is sunny outsde and in that light you can barely see the orange drivers side anyway so untill its dark i wont know if the LED's i have will do the trick.

fingers crossed.

or, can someone tell me how easy it is to see the orange glow from the passenger window switch in the daylight? eg can you see it turning on and off while sitting in the drivers seat? would be good to have 2 side by side really...

Thats ace... dont forget to take some pics for when you do the guide mate!

i think i need a photographer. i get so engrossed in doing it i forget :lol: ill take some snaps and nab some of the good posts off my350. i dont mind taking it all apart again tbh its such an easy car to work with.

i had a hard look at the driver side led's before i changed them and the brightness is exactly the same its just white blends in in the daylight where as orange stands out. so at night it should be quite visible. there was one problem i have had though. the light for the folding mirror is not an LED! :scare: its a tiny tiny bulb. now thats lazy design work there. i get the feeling looking at the design of the mirror control unit that its taken from a different vehicle line. its in its own seperate box. there was a diffuser ofver the bulb. took that off and it just made it more orange :thumbdown: there was nothing for it, i just had to take it out so it doesnt mess up my colour scheme. i plan to get a 3mm led i think ive got one hanging around and try that in its place.

time for the AC controls and some tugging at my knob in preperation for sunday. ;)

im gettting really miffed now i cant find the how to on removing gearn knob!

put your hand into the gear gaitor. and lift from the back (furthest away from the dials.) it should un pop.

from there you can get mole grips on to the shaft and another set on the knob (ohh err missus) twist and the knob shouuld come off. just needs enough to crack the loctite. the hole trim should then lift off.

Yes!!

now remember no matter what you read here, its gone horribly wrong and my car it up in a ball of flame, theres no way you should attempt this ;)

will that level of lie do for you marzman? :lol:

Yes!!

now remember no matter what you read here, its gone horribly wrong and my car it up in a ball of flame, theres no way you should attempt this ;)

will that level of lie do for you marzman? :lol:

:lol::lol: Nope. I need proof that its gone wrong, or else this is my next project...! Keep up with the updates mate!