fuel

harrier1

hey guys just a quick 1 on whats the best fuel for my car? i know the manual says to use the premium stuff at around 98 octane instead of 91 standard. Only thing is iv found the normal stuff from bp is 95 octane and there super unleaded is only 97 does this really make that much differance between the two?

not sure what other garages offer at the min but will look into it.

I've always used V-power :thumbs:

Cos you're a brand whore :p:lol:

:blush:

Supprised you dont get it imported from Japan :p:lol:

Spotted these in the pits at Modified Live @ Brands Hatch.

119 octane!!!!!

Pretty sure at Bedford you can buy 105RON for track use. Its about 2 quid a litre though :headhurt:

I've always used V-power :thumbs:

Cos you're a brand whore :p:lol:

:blush:

Supprised you dont get it imported from Japan :p:lol:

Spotted these in the pits at Modified Live @ Brands Hatch.

119 octane!!!!!

Pretty sure at Bedford you can buy 105RON for track use. Its about 2 quid a litre though :headhurt:

:p

lower grade fuels will lose you about 15-20bhp from the engine

Thats a bit too much dude!!! :p

I always use the cheapo stuff unless on a track day and thats only for psychological reasons.... :lol:

On the motorway there is a bit of a difference on fuel economy and prob works out a tad cheaper but in town i can see no difference at all....then again i drive in my cowboy boots all the time which are about a stone each so it could be just me!!! :p:lol::lol::lol:

That fully depends on how well the car can adapt to different octanes. Back in Aug 06, Thorney Motorsport ( http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 7&f=57&h=0 )did a test with a 2003 BMW E46 M3 CSL, and as a control car a standard Toyota MR2. They saw the CSL drop 40BHP by switching from Tesco 99RON to a 95RON. Admittedly the car was mapped for this kind of fuel, but it shows how big the difference can be. Now the Zed is mapped for 98RON, so giving it 95RON over Tesco 99RON, I would hazzard a guess that you could quite easily lose 15BHP. On the fuel consumption side, I have seen many times that 99RON gets me more than enough in higher MPG to cover the extra cost (about 3 quid a fill up) over 95RON.

Also, unless you drive around for a good while with 99RON in your tank before using it on track (say drive up there on it), then you probably dont see any benefit of it until the end of the day as it takes a while for the fuel trims to compensate fully for the better octane.

That fully depends on how well the car can adapt to different octanes. Back in Aug 06, Thorney Motorsport ( http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 7&f=57&h=0 )did a test with a 2003 BMW E46 M3 CSL, and as a control car a standard Toyota MR2. They saw the CSL drop 40BHP by switching from Tesco 99RON to a 95RON. Admittedly the car was mapped for this kind of fuel, but it shows how big the difference can be. Now the Zed is mapped for 98RON, so giving it 95RON over Tesco 99RON, I would hazzard a guess that you could quite easily lose 15BHP. On the fuel consumption side, I have seen many times that 99RON gets me more than enough in higher MPG to cover the extra cost (about 3 quid a fill up) over 95RON.

Also, unless you drive around for a good while with 99RON in your tank before using it on track (say drive up there on it), then you probably dont see any benefit of it until the end of the day as it takes a while for the fuel trims to compensate fully for the better octane.

:p;)