Why do alot of people hate diesel run cars?

Zedrush

there is nothing worse than seeing a big merc or a really nice BMW. pulls up next to you and brrrrrr digga digga digga digga digga.

Not a fan of Diesel as a perforamance kinda thing, but as a daily driver i dont mind. i like the pull from the torque.

Gilly

Rented a diesel van at the weekend, in fairness it wasn't bad until I filled it up and someone had managed to spill/leak diesel all over the pump handle. Hands stank for hours!

Thats a drawback of running diesel daily. Ive lost count of the times thats happened to me. Then it gets on the steering wheel and stinks the car out.

I think Ill invest in a few loose plastic gloves for the next one - its too late for this car. :lol:

Most people I know that run Diesels as their daily driver have gloves for filling up in their boot. Saves having it all over your hands!

The garages all have gloves at the pumps - I used to have diesels and found them ok.

But they are claimed to be clean as they don't pump out as much CO2. What they forget is they are cancerous! :bangin:

I had a Alfa Spyder 2.2 Diesel for a hire car and it was aweful to drive. Powerband was tiny but would prob be nice if it was remapped. Had a Leon Sport TDi on holdiday and loved it. Powerband seemed massive and I know they can be remapped for silly speeds. If I was just commuting every day and wanted just a quick car, I would have the Leon in a shot :thumbs:

I think newer diesels are fantastic due to the mileage/torque. The only things are they still dont sound as good as petrols and they throw out black soot when floored (ie. Audi A3 2.0 tdi)

Its akways funny to see the look on a petrol drivers face when someone in a mapped diesel pulls away leaving them in a cloud of smoke :lol:

I think newer diesels are fantastic due to the mileage/torque. The only things are they still dont sound as good as petrols and they throw out black soot when floored (ie. Audi A3 2.0 tdi)

Its akways funny to see the look on a petrol drivers face when someone in a mapped diesel pulls away leaving them in a cloud of smoke :lol:

Until they reach 3500rpm and have to change gear! :lol:

Until they reach 3500rpm and have to change gear! :lol:

:lol::lol:

But they are claimed to be clean as they don't pump out as much CO2. What they forget is they are cancerous! :bangin:

Hhmmmmmmmm... don't know if it is me but we seem to be hearing of more and more people suffering with cancer of one form or another and you do wonder with the increasing level of diesel useage on our roads if the connection is there :thumbdown: .... anyone have any more info on the subject?

Having had one diesel car way back (Citreon ZX) that was enough and the other 'alf always felt ill through the fumes. Even now we will often hold back/overtake/put on the air-con when we find one in front - it is like being behind someone with BO :dry:

Check some of the medical websites and see how many cancer doctors drive diesel cars..... Kinda says it all. :blush:

Articles like this all over the net - http://www.yourlawyer.com/articles/read/15831

OK, so diesel helps the environment but at the expense of human life - its not surprising most people react to seeing black fumes being pumped out...... with just cause :dry: . There was the same reaction with coal so the sooner we have power sources that avoid the use of fossil fuels the better off we will all but in the meantime as I am only here on this planet once I intend to make the best of what fuel is on offer, until a proven alternative that has no harmful side effects becomes a viable alternative :)

The fact is petrol burns more efficiently and CO2 in isolation as an emission isn't a problem - if we hadn't demolished all the trees around the world then they'd deal with it for us! Cause and effect - the most simple of principles but it seems to be the first thing forgotten.

Hmm... my 530d never threw out a cloud of black smoke / soot etc.. but did give me a big smile every time i accelerated ! The euro 4's shouldn't smoke as they have filters / cats to remove the particulates.. i supppose some are not as efficient as others, the DMS BM's and Alpina diesels don't smoke at all...

The redline was 5000rpm.. not 3.5 or 4 as some have said... and the BM's aren't dead untill 2krpm they light up around 1100 rpm.. the 535d is always on thanks to twin turbos... as are single turbo dms's

yep, rev band it is too short but if you like some gearbox action it is no worse than driving a vtec where you are fishing for gears, only difference is you can pull at pretty much any revs in any gear.. unlike the vtec's

most people see either badly maintained or old diesels and then think they are all the same... they really aren't..

I worked for Perkins and RR diesels in previous posts and hated car diesels with a passion.. until the euro4 engines came out and that changed my mind... still prefer petrol in sports cars, obviously, but i reckon soon diesel sports will compete if not overtake petrol in performance terms.

The 3500 rpm was somewhat tongue in cheek.....

They sometimes get another 200 rpm before the turbo ooomph disappears! :p:lol:

With clever gearing and set up they have managed to get them to drive OK. The Euro 4 stuff is a load of claims that they are cleaner, from what I have read the cancerous gasses still get out and about. Gasses are harder to stop when going down an exhaust. :)