Rear taillight condensation - advice needed please

new2350z

Hi, my zed has heavy condensation in passenger side taillight so I was wondering if this was a common problem and is there a known 'fix'. I presume I'll have to take the taillight out and try to dry it out and check where water entering, is it easy to do - Ive been through the guides section and cant find anything Re taillight removal procedure. Any advice on how to do it is much appreciated as I dont have a service manual for the car.

Cheers

Got the same prob on the same side on my 05 zed.

When I get the time I'll try sorting it.

Been told to lift off the 3 plastic covers on the top (visable after opening boot)

Unsrcrew unit from car

Pull away slowly out of car to get to bulbs but put masking tape round the light unit/bumper area to prevent chips when removing the housing.

Like I said not done it myself yet but just passing the tips on.

Not something I've heard of before.

To remove you pop off the three plastic covers and undo the three fixings wiggle the light out and undo the connector. Will take approximately 5 mins including finding the correct tools!

What year is the car? If it's pre 06 then I'd be tempted to put up a wanted ad for a replacement or just upgrade to the post 06 LEDs!

Sounds like your taillight is cracked somewhere.

Remove the light and dry it out properly, ive often heard people putting Silca bags (found in new products to keep them dry) inside the light housing to absorb all the moisture.

If the housing is cracked nothing you will do will solve it.

Could be time for LED's?

Silca bags (found in new products to keep them dry) inside the light housing to absorb all the moisture.

Silica bags work very well at drying sealed units out, its what they are designed for. If there is not break in the seal they will draw out any moisture. Remember to put them in the oven too for a few minutes if you use them again to dry them out. I sh!t you not it works, I use them in my camera casing when scuba diving and they work well at keeping moisture away. As you can imagine, diving the casing gets very cold so any moisture quickly condenses in the casing. Also if you have aircon in your house, you can stick them in an airconned room to help it further ;)

Sounds like your taillight is cracked somewhere.

Remove the light and dry it out properly, ive often heard people putting Silca bags (found in new products to keep them dry) inside the light housing to absorb all the moisture.

If the housing is cracked nothing you will do will solve it.

Could be time for LED's?

You learn quick young jedi!!

Oh and +1 on the new tail lights... get into the 21st century!!

Thanks for the replies fellas. Yeah my cars an 03 model - would be v tempted with converting to LED rear lights but I've spent my budget getting the car in the first place but out of curiosity how much roughly is an LED conversion and is it a straight swap? I checked the light and can't find a crack in it anywhere (though I'll check more closely again) - the silicon might be the way to go while I save my pennies for LED's - where can you buy the silicon bags, I just dumped a few old trainer boxes and the like which had loads of them, doh!

cheers

ZMZNALEX on the forum does the LED lights for about 240 - 250 I think. Both units are completrly replaced. They are genuine Nissan items and come with a guarantee too.

Well worth the cash, they are so much brighter too so safer!

*deleted the double post for you ;)

ZMZNALEX on the forum does the LED lights for about 240 - 250 I think. Both units are completrly replaced. They are genuine Nissan items and come with a guarantee too.

Sounds like good value - will have to raid the piggybank again me thinks!! I take it it uses the same electrical connections ie not changing the wiring or anything, just a straight plug-in job?

Cheers

Sounds like good value - will have to raid the piggybank again me thinks!! I take it it uses the same electrical connections ie not changing the wiring or anything, just a straight plug-in job?

Cheers

Yep undo the three fasteners unplug, new light, do up plug, install and do up 3 fasteners!

Takes 20 mins including a beer afterwards!

:thumbs:

Thanks for the heads up guys :thumbs:

2006> LEDs available and good to go.

Genuine Nissan UK and will fit all U.K and JDM models without any wiring mod.

Totally plug and play.

Half the price of the Nissan Dealers. :thumbs: