Total loss..........suggestions?

sunset350z

Oh well i had a feeling it was gonna happen, the insurance company has written my car off :byebye: . They have offered me 9,700 quid!! To me it was worth a lot more, and i'm going to struggle to find another Z in that condition, for that price. The mileage was just shy of 80,000 so thats probably why they valued it at that amount, but she drove like a brand new car and just flew the MOT a week earlier.

I'm unsure what to do next, should i consider buying the car back for spares, and/or ask for a higher settlement figure? Or am i just better off taking the money?? What do you guys think?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gutted to hear that mate :thumbdown:

How much would it cost to buy the car back against what you would receive? The mods, if ok, you could always transfer to a new car or sell on. Can you contest the value offered?

Yh, that is a shame altho I think it was maybe expected after hearing about the state the car was in after your accident :(

How old is the Zed? Did you manage to get all the mods off before the insurance ppl had a look at it?

Tbh you need to do some research as to what these cars are going for with similar age, and check the Glasses/Parkers guide prices to see how far off the insurance company are.

I have a feeling they will probably be a fair few grand off what they should be paying out and you will have to argue with them and prove that the car is worth more than that. It will be a fight, but if you simply accept what they say, you have no chance of getting anything more :(

when i wrote off my old zed they offered me £9,250 so i declined that offer and they raised it £500 but it took about 2 months longer so wasnt really worth it.

i saw your zed that day and i think it would be a hell of a lot of work to repair mate. not only that but things are never as they were after repairs.

If I were you id take the money and save up a grand or so for a new one. either that or get something different.

anyway neither of you were harmed so thats the main thing, its only metal. (easy to say i know) :)

don't know what year your zed is but if you think what Tim got for his 2003 low mileage superb zed you're maybe not too far off? I would attempt to get a bit more then shop around and get yourself back in a zed with all the mods you've kept as soon as you can! Good luck with it. :thumbs:

Really sorry to hear this Steve,but if I had wrote mine off I would not want it back.

At least they did not drag their feet getting an engineer out.If you get half your money back off your mods,you will be back in a Zed in no time.

Pm me your price on the lower plenum you have for sale. :thumbs:

And no I am not a vulture. :blush:

Don't worry Clarkie, i wouldn't consider anyone to be a 'vulture' so to speak. What you are asking for, i've had for sale for a while in this thread, viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19671&p=325783#p325783 and is still for sale.

I did mention in another thread the other day that i was selling all the mods off my car!!! Well, as some of you already know, i've decided to hold onto the bits that i've taken off, until i know for certain what i'm going to get next.

sorry to hear you had an accident steve. I didn't attend the welsh run and didn't know what happened.

I would have thought its worth negotiating the insurance settlement further if you recon the car is worth more. it will certainly take some time but if you can get 1k or more I think its worth it. specially with the current market you could afford to wait for the right car at the right price.

I dont see any point in buying the car back if you've already taken most of the mods out unless they sell it to you for silly money.

good thing your ok metal can be replaced mate

Don't worry Clarkie, i wouldn't consider anyone to be a 'vulture' so to speak. What you are asking for, i've had for sale for a while in this thread, viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19671&p=325783#p325783 and is still for sale.

I did mention in another thread the other day that i was selling all the mods off my car!!! Well, as some of you already know, i've decided to hold onto the bits that i've taken off, until i know for certain what i'm going to get next.

Hey steve,

Sorry to hear about the write off though we expected this :) i am happy you are holding on to the mods until you know what you are doing ultimately! you know i think you should get back in a Zed :thumbs:

As for the exhaust it was a real shame but see what you can do with negotiating(you can ask to swap to the standard item which will set you back for near to nothing. if not you can always buy a K1 :teeth:

you should push for money and as i told you start by looking on the web for a at least ten cars with similar age, colour, condition and mileage from trade as a reference to what you should be settled.

Anyway good luck and wish me luck for my trip to the Ring. I'll bring you a sticker for your new Zed :teeth::p .

Steve, as the others have said, insurance companies will always start with the lowest they think they can offer you. Find examples on the net of similar cars and then push them to up your offer. You should be able to get something decent in these times with £10-11k. Dont know if Tims is still up for grabs but its a stunning example and meticoulsly looked after.

Good luck, hope to see you back in a Zed soon :thumbs:

Hi buddy,

So sorry to hear this... Years back I went through the same process with my 106 GTI. I printed tons of adverts from autotrader and PH (picking the most expensive ones from dealers) and sent them to the adjuster. This was about 6 years ago so I struggle with exact figures but it was around 8500 and I got another 750 pounds from them.

Pick the adverts from dealers from traders on the basis that buying private is too risky... You have to try your luck, they're essentially doing the same.

Good luck,

Matt

Thanks for your comments guys, i'll take a trip down to the garage to see if i can bribe a mechanic to take my exhaust and cats off.

Looking at all the ads, i'm struggling to find anything below 11k for one that comes close to my spec, colour and age.

So i will try and push for a bit more out of them, even though they have been very efficient with this claim.

By the way i'm with Swiftcover and they gave me the cheapest quote by miles just 3 weeks ago!!! :scare: I bet they are kicking themselves now :lol: