Toyos - major problem

Gurjeet

So got a quote from an arnold clark dealer on a set (4) of Toyo Proxes T1-R to fit on standard RAYS. came out at £567 after some good haggling/comparison with online providers. Thats fully fitted/balanced/valves etc.

Thoughts?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a quote from Blackcircles for Falkens - fitted - for £492. I'm just trying to find out how to access the 5% discount. :thumbs:

PM sent, let me know how you get on :thumbs:

Remember there is always Camskills too, they were cheaper for me ;)

Thanks for the tip Chris :thumbs:

Just gone to Camskills and I can pick up Falkens for £400 inc delivery - now just got to find someone in the area that will fit them for a pizza ;)

As in the PM, TGM Sport in Fleet will be able to do it, its a matter of fitting you in. Get their number off their website and ask for Tom. Tell him we sent you and he should be able to sort something out. Might not quite be as cheap as a pizza but better than other tyre fitters!

Sound good Gurjeet. Not a fan of arnolds at all but I am sure they will manage a tyre change with no glitches.

I paid £150 per corner to have bridgestone RE050s fitted recently and part of me wishes I had went for the toyo......they have an amazing looking tread!

words cannot describe how angry I am right now.

Got my toyos fitted today. simple enough job I would have thought. Not for arnold clark it would seem. The dealership very kindly offered to pick up my car from my place of work, fit the tyres, which they did, and then drop it off back. I was in the middle of a busy surgery seeing patients so when he dropped it off, the driver chap left the keys with the receptionist. So, coming out of the surgery, noticed my nice new proxes had been fitted, set off home.

Felt weird.

Very bloated, rolling, rear end sliding at the slighted flick of the wheel, but just about driveable. thought it may be the tyre pressures. On the motorway, had to apply the brakes pretty sharpish to avoid other random drivers, very wriggly under braking, steering wheel bucking about.

Got it to the air station to check pressures. they were ok, around 36psi per tyre. also checked they had put the correct ones in the right place -225 front, 245 rear. they had.

THEN...

I noticed these...

IMG_4439.jpg

IMG_4432.jpg

IMG_4431.jpg

IMG_4429.jpg

IMG_4430.jpg

IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4443.jpg

IMG_4442.jpg

It should be pointed out that these RAYS were REFURBISHED UNDER WARRANTY BY THIS DEALER ONLY LAST WEEK.

Someone tomorrow is going to get ear and an eye full.

It is on every wheel where they have removed the nuts. most of the lips where they have obviously gripped it to put the tyres on. Phoned the garage as soon as i had noticed (max half hour after first getting it back), predictably they had all packed up and gone home for the day.

:scare::scare::scare:

Not good at all!

That is shocking. As Mark says, don't be afraid to say you are a member of a forum and that the local owners are aware already.

Hope you get on OK, proof is always the hard thing!

It really gets my back up when I hear of dealers doing things like this.

Having been through it with 3 seperate dealers myself, I really feel for you. And i hope they admit liability and sort it with the minumum of fuss.

Why cant the people who work at the dealers simply have some respect for the cars they are working on! It doesnt matter if its an F reg Bluebird, or a brand new Zed. Its still someones baby!

:rant:

i have some random pics but nothing in terms of close ups to the wheel. i think the damage pattern is a little too obvious though, around every wheel nut. i have not cleaned them either, as one of them very clearly looks like it has been laid on the ground on its spokes.

Also, I remember there being a small blue dot on the wheels before, cant see them now. could they be on the wrong way? feels VERY strange to drive

bloody hell! You can tell that looks freshly done and also that its not kerbing damage. Its quite clearly chipped and gouged. Worse still what can you do when they picked it up and dropped it off? When i took my car in just for a tyre repair the other day at National Tyres they came straight to me and asked me to confirm what damage/kerbing was already on my wheels before they would even touch it.

And what was wrong with the handling?

the rotation arrow is correctly aligned, but i was wondering if it was possible to mount the rears on the front and vice versa. its sliding around every corner at any speed, feels ten time worse than the bridgestones, and I never thought i would ever say that.

I have been chatting a lot to the service guy from the dealer over the last few days, got me a good price and he is doing work on two mates cars(six tyres between them) based on me bringing him the business. seemed pretty sound all the way through, and he dealt with the BOSE replacement/clicking/bubbling of the rays well last week. Thought it might be a good way to foster good links with a local dealer, bearing in mind its still in warranty and will be needing servicing etc.

I hope for his sake this is a straightforward thing to sort out tomorrow.

That's shocking mate!

Looks like they used a crowbar on the lip when fitting the tyres rather than the plastic lip tool they are supposed to use.

Plus the guy with the airgun to remove the nuts was prolly blind and used a socket that was well worn out and wobbled and caused the damage.

They better get you sorted, especially since you sorted them with additional business.