moving from the z - Advice for new car

drbrunel

after nearly 4 years of Z power i think its time to move on.

I dont really use the car in the week for commuting to work so Im thinking of trading her in for something a little more focused..

Three cars top of the list in order are

Lotus exige S

Noble GTO

TVR 350

Thoughts please...and not interested in Caterhams. Definately leaning towards the lotus due to the overall package of running costs, reliability and performance and very good examples start from around 23K

My 55 plate z (UK GT Spec) is completely mint but has 54 000 miles on the clock (never had any probs with the car).. Not expecting much for the car as i know the values a lot but if I can get between 11-13K that would really help out.

So could any car maker right now to be honest.....

I like all three. I'm guessing a sagaris is out? I'd trade a nut for one. Sack the 8k rebuild costs, I'd still have one!

I would say try one of each and see what you like. You'll know which one after trying them!

I agree with the others and having driven a Noble and Exige at a performance car event at Mallory I was very impressed with the Noble :teeth: and rather like the Zed, its rarity adds to appeal. Not had a go in a TVR 350 but whilst the sheer brute power and the fact they are a pure driver's car is appealing, the reliability factor surrounding TVR's and now the potential difficulty in getting spares etc would put me off ownership. But I guess the 'safe' option is the Lotus - and 'Kev' on this site will no doubt sing its praises. :)

I was following an Exige (not an S) in Redditch the other day (dual carriageways) and he was giving it some (you could hear it B) ) but he couldn't pull anything on me at all. I'm sure if you put an Noble or a TVR against a Zed I would have been annhilated.

I know the lotus is more based on handling but I wouldn't want to upgrade to something slower that a Zed.

Plus I've only ever seen a Noble once in my life, rare as rocking horse poo and I love that!

The noble purely for the turbo noise, they sound awesome and thump you in the back like a sledgehammer. Friend does test driving at Christopher Neil in Northwich and he said its by far the quickest feeling he's driven :thumbs:

I was following an Exige (not an S) in Redditch the other day (dual carriageways) and he was giving it some (you could hear it B) ) but he couldn't pull anything on me at all. I'm sure if you put an Noble or a TVR against a Zed I would have been annhilated.

I know the lotus is more based on handling but I wouldn't want to upgrade to something slower that a Zed.

Plus I've only ever seen a Noble once in my life, rare as rocking horse poo and I love that!

He wasnt flat out then, cos they are a fair bit quicker than Zeds, even without the supercharger. The stage 1 exhausts sound pretty sweet too!

Noble will cost you a fortune, TVR will fall to bits, Exige S will be 95% as quick without the fear that it'll kill you everytime you stamp on the loud pedal.

There's no doubt that the Noble is a thing of pure aggressive beauty, but could you really live with no boot? The footwell is tiny as well so if you've got medium to large feet forget it, and I'd definitely be looking at the servicing costs before picking out a car...

The T350 is stunning but too fragile UNLESS you can get one that has had all the required rebuilding done to the engine, but even then I wouldn't touch one if you need a resemblance of reliability. The tendency to break down is very over-stated, but it's still 10x worse than anything else you could get.

Exige S looks good, and has a very exploitable power band. It's relatively bullet-proof mechanically (I believe the oil surge issues on the early N/As was sorted for the S) and there is simply nothing in the world that drives as purely as an Elise or one the many derivatives. Well, IMHO anyway.

Decisions decisions!!! thanks for the opinions guys...

If reliability was not an issue it would have to be the TVR but I just have the money to keep it going from the stories that I hear..

Comes down to the Noble or the exige S

Heart says Noble but sense says the exige S plus it will be far cheaper to buy and run in the long run...

None the less Ill take all three for a test drive...

Anyone wanna buy my Z?? :teeth:

I think if you are using it on the track then definatly a Lotus, if you want to turn heads get a Noble and if you want HUGE repair bills get a TVR. :lol:

Don't get me wrong I love TVR's but my mates brother has a Chimera and he only does about 200 miles a year as its always being repaired...plus the nearest garage that will touch it is down south.

On the other hand I have always loved the Exige, so poised, serious accelleration and awsome looks. IMO of course.

R