Thieves are getting choosey

clarkie34

Had a bit of a DOH moment thurs night.

Forgot to lock my car,i had been cleaning the engine bay and forgot all about it.

Anyway Friday unlocked the car,well at least i thought i had got in and everthing seemed normal started it up and my headunit went to radio which is unusual as the ipod should play.Looked in the cubby only to find my ipod missing,now this is the strange thing my Tomtom was in there aswell and thats still there.They have took my satnav out removed the ipod and put the satnav back and closed the cubby then closed the door. :angry:

Cheeky little feckers. :angry:

Upside no damage was done,but now i double check i have locked it and removed my new ipod.

Let Apple know so they can't use it mate..... ;)

Why Rob can they lock it somehow?

When you connect it to your computer it registers it with Apple. If it gets nicked, next time it's connected I think it gets disabled.....

EDIT - look here, you might be able to find out if they're using it - http://stolenipod.com/archives/4

you cant leave anything lying these days, my satnav got micked from my van, wish they were more choosey up here

I hope your "Home Location" isn't actually your home.

My Home Location is the local police station, and my real home addy is listed under my name.

Sorry to hear Clarkie but as said, it could have been worse. My old car used to have the lock after 10 minutes with no activity feature which was good but sometimes a pain if you left the keys inside while doing something on the outside.....had to be really careful.

Suprised they left your Tomtom.....they must be waiting for you to upgrade it to one of the live traffic alert ones and then they will pinch it. :p Swines

Where did you find the info Rob,cant find anything on the website?

Sorry mate, wrong link - that's how to find your serial number.

Reading more it seems that Apple have decided they don't WANT to track the serial numbers. It is the police who want the serial number and although Apple can see the stolen items they choose to do nothing about it. :headhurt: The first few sites I read were unfortunately fake as I found out reading Apple's discussion forum. Sorry bud. :blush:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=287911

This is a bit late but could help with the next one....

http://www.newsweek.com/id/72715

you ARE a man - are you sure its not in your sock drawer and nobody's been in your car at all?????

Funny you should say that Nixy,the missus said to me are you sure you did not take out yourself.To which I replied I think I would bloody remember doing that.

If Apple can track the IPOD they should be able to provide the IP address of the PC using it. The IP address is linked the user's internet account thus the user (of your Ipod) can be traced. I could be wrong but I think this is how they track people looking at naughty stuff on the interweb.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the data protection act prevents this from being the case. Despite the fact that government officials are free to leave laptops lying around every time they have a couple of lemon bitters.

And of course the Police won't care as nobody was speeding :angry:

.. Sorry rant over.

I'm glad to hear your car is ok!

you ARE a man - are you sure its not in your sock drawer and nobody's been in your car at all?????

Funny you should say that Nixy,the missus said to me are you sure you did not take out yourself.To which I replied I think I would bloody remember doing that.

About 10 years ago my dad came home and was banging on the front door, out of breath...

He said he'd he'd been at the petrol station when a rough-looking guy brushed past him while he was in the queue. When he got out to the car his keys weren't in his pocket, and he thought he'd been pick pocketed!

So, he ran round to the police station and filed an incident report etc, and then jogged home to get the spare keys.

Only when he took his coat off and threw it on the table did he hear the keys knock on the table... they'd fallen through a hole in his pocket lining, and were at the bottom of his coat... :lol::lol::lol:

Moral of the story... ipod must be in your sock drawer :p

In 1996 I had an E reg Nissan sunny 1.3.

Worth bugger all but spent thousands on ICE.

Two amps

15inch sub

MD headunit (all the rage back then :lol: )

Boot changer

etc

Young toe rags broke into broke into it TWICE in one month but only took CD's from the glove box first time and rumaged around the glove box the 2nd (but nothing there to nick that time).

Little did they know that if they had just bothered looking in the boot it would be worthwhile :wacko: