Ebized 2009 trip to Oz

Ebized

As my dad, sis and bro live in Oz & dad kindly pays for most of our trip, it makes no sense not to go - while June & I can :blush: Not going to bore you with family holiday photos but here are few of the places/interests we enjoyed.

This year we got ourselves rides on the A380 airbus to and from Singapore - their airline is top notch in my books for customer care so off we :plane: at the end of March.

A380wing.jpg

The plane is very smooth and quiet and if you thought the Brembo's were good I'd love to know what brakes they use on that as there was no sense or reverse thrust on landing - on the proverbial sixpence too.

Rather than fly straight through to Oz, we stopped over in Singapore - it is fabulous place to visit where you feel safe, it is clean and everyone is so polite and helpful. They also have brilliant business sense IMO.

singaporeflyer.jpg

Pic taken from the Singapore Flyer (their London Eye) which allows a great view of the harbour area and the F1 track (part of the track/stands can be seen that mimmics the Monaco swimming pool complex).

Some of the sculptures were so life-like you could be forgiven they weren't!

sculptures.jpg

Onto Oz where I picked up a hire car at Canberra (a nissan, not a ZED but a crap tillda thing and auto too :yuck: ) Drove out to our 5* accommodation :wacko: :

aussiehouse.jpg

But the family also has a home in Bermagui - a game fishing on the NSW coast where we spent a couple of weeks and did a little fishing:

Mako.jpg

(Its a Mako - unfortunately the sea was to cold in April for the Marlin)

Had some spectacular sunsets;

Auzziesunset.jpg

After dropping dad back to Canberra we flew down to Melbourne to go and see the sights on the Great Ocean Road (I had specifically requested a small manual but the best Hertz could do was an auto Corolla :rant: so I gave it hell - :sorry: June) Much of the road is a dream to drive and in a ZED would be great, within the speed limits of course ;)

GreatOceanRoad.jpg

Saw some weird 'vans but at least most Aussies use decent V8's to tow em, unlike here where morris marinas seem to be the standard.

weirdcaravan.jpg

The '12' apostles (only 8 now) and coastline there is stunning:

12apostles-moody.jpg

And even better when we took a whirly bird ride to see a little more :)

viewfromhelicopter.jpg

Then drove back to Melbourne and found a small motor museum (Fox collection) with some rare and stunning cars.

Immaculate 300SL gullwing complete with pristine fitted luggage:

300SLgullwing.jpg

A pristine 1937 540K Merc cabriolet (like the one Adolf paraded around in) worth around £1.5m:

1937merc540kcab.jpg

Various Ferrari's, Porsches Jags and Rolls Royce and somewhat looking a bit out of place but a real beast in the form of Skyline GT-R (another 'Godzilla') producing 550bhp and winner of several championships. Note one of the massive air jacks behind the front wheel:

godzilla.jpg

Melbourne is a stunning city and easy to get around on the trams (good fun). Didn't appear to be any sign of a recession there and much of the architecture about the river Yarra is B) :

entectower.jpg

albertparkcube.jpg

That tower (Entec) is the highest offering great views over the city - this one is towards Albert Park (yep, F1 again) and the pic shows a glass floored 'cube' that floats out the side of the tower - chickened out on that :surrender:

With our last night in Melbourne we had our evening meal on a colonial tram that travels out to the St.Kilda area :rolleyes: and had a fright when strolling along the southbank - check this out :scare: :

th_melbourneflames.jpg

The noise and heat on that final explosion was amazing.

After that we flew back to Singapore for another stopover before coming back home -I have to say that ariving at Heathrow is something of a down-to-earth reality check, compared to the immaculate and slick operation of the vast Changi terminal in Singapore.

That's it, time for a :snack:

Lovelly pictures mate, looks like you had a great time. My gf and I are going across to oz in Aug for a couple of months so i can see my homeland. I cant wait, we are hiring a big campervan and travelling from adelade up to cairns for a month. IT cant come quick enough :yahoo:

Wow Colin great write up and pics, been to Oz myself (Adelaide, Alice Springs, Darwin, Brisbane,Cairns and Sydney) back in 92 and i loved it. Dived the great barrier reef as well 3 times. Totally Loved the place and would go at the drop of an hat.

Would love to fly on the A380 B)

Amazing photos Colin, I am so jealous! :thumbs: You both must have had major post-holiday blues after such a fantastic trip!

Lovelly pictures mate, looks like you had a great time. My gf and I are going across to oz in Aug for a couple of months so i can see my homeland. I cant wait, we are hiring a big campervan and travelling from adelade up to cairns for a month. I cant come quick enough :yahoo:

Sorry Jay, but I couldn't help spot this, is there something you want to share with us? :lol:

Amazing photos Colin, I am so jealous! :thumbs: You both must have had major post-holiday blues after such a fantastic trip!

Lovelly pictures mate, looks like you had a great time. My gf and I are going across to oz in Aug for a couple of months so i can see my homeland. I cant wait, we are hiring a big campervan and travelling from adelade up to cairns for a month. I cant come quick enough :yahoo:

Sorry Jay, but I couldn't help spot this, is there something you want to share with us? :lol:

Maybe with you Cara, but count me out :lol::lol:

I dnt kno wat you are talking about Cara did u edit my post, just to be dirty, yes i think you did :lol:;)