How hard can it be to arrange a test drive?!

rawbhp

Having decided that I definately want a Z, I thought I should arrange a test drive to confirm my decision. I phoned my local dealer who sells used cars - Mill Hill, to arrange one. Well they couldn't have been any more unhelpful! First they said someone would call me back. They never did, so I called again. Then they said they would rather 'match' me to a specific car and then let me drive it with a view to buying it, and that if I hadn't seen one I definately wanted then it wasn't worth organising. They said someone would call me back. Guess what? They didn't!

It seems completely ridiculous. I can't test drive one at the dealer unless I definately want it, but how do I know I want it, or even a Z at all if I've never driven one!? :angry: Useless.

I guess I may have more luck with non-Nissan dealers who have Zs in stock, but it should be the other way round...

I stood next to a zed inspecting it for about 2 mins before Xmas.....sales person came out and said "do you want to take it for a spin?", that saturday I had 2 hours to play with it. I am a scruffy 20 year old, so I doubt that it's down to profiling...but I would try another garage...sounds like poor service to me.

Welcome to one of the downsides of zed ownership. The dealers vary a lot and some, as you have found out are rubbish. They will be trying to work out if they can get a car that you will buy. My local dealer has a base 55 plate roadster on at 20k so many still havent got a handle on the market.

1st recommendation, buy one from a member on here. You can search the owners posts and get a good idea of the cars history. Either that or get a recommendation from an owner on one of the better dealers.

Independants may not know the cars very well but someone local may well be happy to come along with you. :)

Definitely worth shopping around. When we bought ours, we went to a bunch of twats in Coventry - didn't even get a test drive. Went to Polesworth, and got a set of keys and a friendly wave. Went back a week later and polesworth did the same thing.

Spent 23K on a 2nd hand Z... guess who we didn't buy from :D

The dealer in Aberdeen was terrible too, I initially went to look at one with view for a test drive. Im only 25 (look younger though) and was dressed in jeans and t-shirt, the dealer looked at me up and down and said "we don't have any here just now......but you won't get one for under 18k!" ....I just said back, "it's all right I can part exchange my BMW"..

What a knob, just becuase I'm young he instantly assumed I couldn't afford it.

Needless to say I didn't buy from them, and they won't be getting my business for servicing.

R

I definately want to buy from an owner on here. I just thought the dealer would be the best place for a drive. The trouble is most of the Nissan dealers near me don't deal with used cars.

I like the sound of 2 hours alone with a car! Where was that? :thumbs:

Having decided that I definately want a Z, I thought I should arrange a test drive to confirm my decision. I phoned my local dealer who sells used cars - Mill Hill, to arrange one. Well they couldn't have been any more unhelpful! First they said someone would call me back. They never did, so I called again. Then they said they would rather 'match' me to a specific car and then let me drive it with a view to buying it, and that if I hadn't seen one I definately wanted then it wasn't worth organising. They said someone would call me back. Guess what? They didn't!

It seems completely ridiculous. I can't test drive one at the dealer unless I definately want it, but how do I know I want it, or even a Z at all if I've never driven one!? :angry: Useless.

I guess I may have more luck with non-Nissan dealers who have Zs in stock, but it should be the other way round...

If that would have been me bud i would of let them match me to a specific car, told them i was interested and taken it out for a test drive just to get the feel of a 350, and when asked about what i thought and am i happy to go ahead i would tell them i will think about it and give them a call back :thumbs:

The Nissan dealer I purchased mine from was fantastic. I telephone and arranged a conveinient appointment for me to take the car for a lengthy test drive. They did not rush me or were not pushy like some dealerships I have come across in the past. They could have not have been any more helpful.

As others have said there are some great dealers and some really ropey ones, have a good look around in a certain radius to where you live. I'm sure you will get a better response from another dealer.

the branch in ipswich were determined not to sell me a car, the first test drive i got was down a busy road at 20 mph and 1 junction on the a12 at rush hour. it actually put me off the car. second test drive was with a spotty kid whos car knowledge was limited. and then when it came to buying the manager wouldn't come out of his office to talk to me so the sales kid was going back and fourth. and they both tried to sell me a car for £4k over what it should hahve been priced at.

like it was said above, nissan is very hit miss and maybe, try another stealership.

I stood next to a zed inspecting it for about 2 mins before Xmas.....sales person came out and said "do you want to take it for a spin?", that saturday I had 2 hours to play with it. I am a scruffy 20 year old, so I doubt that it's down to profiling...but I would try another garage...sounds like poor service to me.

+1

Nissan in hull gave me a coupe for a test drive before we even talk about buying it. I had told them already i am just looking around. Didnt buy in the end. A year later went there for a test drive again. They didnt have a roadster so they drove me to leeds for the test drive. Picked me up from my house and dropped me off at my doorstep!!! Bought my brand new roadster! Great lads all of them!!!! :thumbs:

Very strange as WLMG has always been great to me.

Speak to Michael Ryan and he should help you out. Say you know Louis who was in the other week regarding the 370z and i am pushing you towards a zed and you want a test drive. :thumbs:

Hmmm strange, a few people havnt had an issue with Mill Hill... Also, did you go down there and just ask to take one out? I didnt before I bought mine (didnt test drive any...) but have done since just to see if anything is different... Think if the sales man can see hes got the possibility of a sale then and there they will do anything! They dont or cant see you or your expressions on the end of a phone!

Also, I know its a bit of a trek but the best place to talk to is Marshalls in cambridge, sell more Nissan Sports cars than anyone one else in the country and will find you what ever you want.... Oh and their support is second to non as they are now one of the shiney new GT-R dealerships!

Thats very poor from Mill Hill, they should know better than that being one of the special performance centres. Although they may be getting a lot of interest to test drive these cars now (GTR too) where people have no intention to buy.

Do as Mike says, let them find you one, get it in, test drive it and walk away! I test drove one at a Nissan dealer with no intention to buy, they were just local and I wanted to see what the car was like. Dont go buying one with no test drive prior as you wont know if you like it or not. I did the same with my Leon too. Test drove one at Newbury, but a dealership up north were selling them off cheap, so when Newbury didnt price match, I drove 200miles to get it £2.5k cheaper! (new car - like for like with Newbury)

RTBiscuit - I also went to Glyn Hopkins Ipswich!

I popped in one day fo a sneaky testdrive without the hubbie knowing and i spoke to a chap named Mark. He arranged for me to come back in an hour so he had time to defrost the car and get it ready. He was very pleasant and not pushy at all.

I arranged to go back with the Hubbie a few weeks later so he could have a drive and again he was really helpfull. I was surprised as i told him i didnt have the funds to buy a car from him until i had sold my other two cars but the test drive would be more about confirming this was the car that i wanted.

Lets hope they are still in a helpful mood, I am waiting for someone to ring me back about my wheels, they are starting to corrode!

I went to West Way at Oxford and asked about one of the used cars on the Nissan web site. The sales chap said that one had gone but they had 5 others I could see. He offered me a test drive there and then, but when it came to price, he kept going off to the office to talk to his boss, who didn't come out to talk to me. I guess they have so many people wanting to buy their Zeds that they don't have to bother about negotiating the price. Needless to say, they wanted too much and I went elsewhere to get the car I wanted at the price I was prepared to pay.

dealers like this really anger me :angry:

I too look alot younger than i am and no one takes me seriously when i go to look at cars so now i make a point of driving right up to the glass next to where all salesmen are sat and watch them all flock when i start looking.

I appreciate they get alot of people who will waste their time, but thats life. they are not going to get a sale off every customer.

You occasionally meet some decent sales guys who know what they are talking about, but most are pricks!

Best one was at a ford main dealer when i was looking for a focus rs (1st gen) and the guy asked if i could get insurance first, i said yes. His next question was, "are there any specific colours that you are looking for?" :lol::lol::lol: IDIOT!! Blue?

I had the EXACT same problem with Mill Hill.

I went there and being a young girl on my own I was just not taken seriously.

I wanted to go out for a test drive in one, it was just sat there - not blocked in or anything, they weren't busy and they wouldn't even unlock one without me saying which one I preferred. How am I supposed to know without being able to look inside??? :rant:

I was sent away after having to book a test drive for the following weekend.

I rang a friend to tell him what had happened and he was furious that they treated me like that. In the end he got me all angry too and I rang up and complained. Not surprisingly the car I had wanted was sold before I got to drive it. However I did go back and dealt with Michael Ryan who was very helpful and I ended up buying a roadster which I am happy with so far.

I think it depends who you deal with there :unsure:

I wanted to go out for a test drive in one, it was just sat there - not blocked in or anything, they weren't busy and they wouldn't even unlock one without me saying which one I preferred. How am I supposed to know without being able to look inside??? :rant:

I rang a friend to tell him what had happened and he was furious that they treated me like that. In the end he got me all angry too and I rang up and complained. Not surprisingly the car I had wanted was sold before I got to drive it. However I did go back and dealt with Michael Ryan who was very helpful and I ended up buying a roadster which I am happy with so far.

Is that picture of your car outside WLMG?

Is that picture of your car outside WLMG?

yep :)

RTBiscuit - I also went to Glyn Hopkins Ipswich!

I popped in one day fo a sneaky testdrive without the hubbie knowing and i spoke to a chap named Mark. He arranged for me to come back in an hour so he had time to defrost the car and get it ready. He was very pleasant and not pushy at all.

I arranged to go back with the Hubbie a few weeks later so he could have a drive and again he was really helpfull. I was surprised as i told him i didnt have the funds to buy a car from him until i had sold my other two cars but the test drive would be more about confirming this was the car that i wanted.

Lets hope they are still in a helpful mood, I am waiting for someone to ring me back about my wheels, they are starting to corrode!

i dealt with the woman first, she knew very little, and didn't seem that bothered, and the test drive route she took me on would possibly have been fine for a micra but not a high performance car. she did not sell me that car by a long shot and put me off it, so went off and had a look at the Z4 coupe.

second visit was a young lad, was quite helpful, was pleasnat to deal with did all the call backs etc, but when it came to negotiating on a car it was the main boss making all the decisiions but he wouldn't come out fo his office and talk direct wiht me. got frustrated and told them to stick it. the reason it annoyed me is i know what it could be like. i'm not expecting him to take over the deal, as the young lad has to do it himself, but some involvement would have been nice. when we bought my wifes new golf the dealership we used was great, same situation, dealing with the young lad, but the boss would pop his head in, ask if things were fine and help on the hard ball negotitating. we got extra money off because we promised to bake them a cake and bring it in when we came to collect. he made us teas and coffees and made us feel important.

the ipswich nissan just made me feel like i was putting them out and that it was all too much effort.

there service department and warranty section might be the best in the country but i refuse to use them because their sales manager is a div.

I had the same issue with West Way Basingstoke WRT a young lad selling it and the Gaffer sitting out back. I politely told them if they want to sell the car I want to speak to the decision maker and he happily came out to talk. I would have walked if he didnt.