First time giving the Z some beans

maxi-glasgow

I was coming home tonight and a 58 plate Mini Cooper S tried to pull away from me at set of lights so I dropped a gear and came right up behind him. Came to next set of lights and I was going right which goes on to an Industrial area street which is miles long and straight (South Street for any of the Glasgow users), I think he seen me indicate and thought he would be smart and go the same way.

When he got onto the straight after a 90 degree left hand turn he booted it, but I was sitting in 2nd and was stuck to his bumper right thru the gears till 4th and then I had to take my foot off a bit or go right over the top of him.

Was very impressed with the acceleration as I know these Mini Cooper S's are quite quick off the mark as pretty light etc.

He started braking and indicated to go left as he obviously went out his way to try and race me, bet he was raging that he bothered :#1:

Son the other hand a std cooper S does a quarter mile in low 15's, so assuming the Z driver is a decent one, even early zeds should pull away quite easily in a straight line...

+1

I don't think even a 210hp Works can trouble a Z, if the Z driver is not caught off guard.

Son the other hand a std cooper S does a quarter mile in low 15's, so assuming the Z driver is a decent one, even early zeds should pull away quite easily in a straight line...

+1

I don't think even a 210hp Works can trouble a Z, if the Z driver is not caught off guard.

Hmmmmm not so sure...... Depends what kind of roads it's on.

+1

If they're ones with tarmac or concrete on you should be fine! :lol:

As the others say, its all down to the drivers and how hard you are willing to push your luck. FWD are much easier to find their limit and easier to cope when you get there. So you have to be a lot more commited to push a RWD Zed to the limit, but if you do, you should take the Mini ;) Hell, I once out did an RS4! The driver was crap. He hooned down the straights but in the corners was a right wuss!

+1

I had a JCW mini and traded it for my 350Z. Mini will win on twisty roads hands down. It's lighter,nippier and handles far better. But I love my Zed for all its lardy, softy sprung arse. :blush:

+1

I had a JCW mini and traded it for my 350Z. Mini will win on twisty roads hands down. It's lighter,nippier and handles far better. But I love my Zed for all its lardy, softy sprung arse. :blush:

That was my point!

I've seen (OK track prepped) minis round knockhill chasing Alex. Twistie bits they can gain time. Straight - bye bye! I'm guessing the Minis are heavily modified but Alexs car is barely a Zed!

Seen the standard ones and on the mega twisties (80% of roads in Aberdeenshire) they'd give a Zed a good run.

But a Z just looks so much better and sounds better too. No contest for me lol.

I'm with you on the looks. I had to have a Zed Roadster after wondering what car it was in a hotel car park. I still love the looks, and sound and sense of drama. Love the attention too. :D

However Nissan could seriously learn from the overall owwnership experience. Mini where fantastic. TLC pack meant FOC servicing for 8 yrs. The dealerships were knowledgeable, treated you with courtsey and respect. Acted like you were the most important customer they'd ever had. I wouldn't change but I miss that side of it. Can only imagine how Nissan are going to cope with the expectations of GT-R owners whose previous experiences will be from Porsche/Jag/Audi/BMW. Animals in my Nissan tried putting stock oil in on the first service - I now supply my own Fully Synthetic !

:rant:

I think thicker ARBs would help no end on the stock Zed. The feeling of it lurching around the corners doesnt inspire confidence. I'm tempted to get some on std suspension to see if it makes much of a diff, but they cost so much I may as well splash out for new suspension :blush:

upto NSL there is nowt in it with a zed and a JCW (my current steed) cross country, theres not much that could outpace one either, but then again its all down to the skill of the driver!

raw figures show there is about 6bhp in it per ton (in favour of the mini compared to a 276bhp zed) but, trust me, the aerodynamics of the mini above NSL are like hitting a brick wall!

what do i prefer..?? well, ive had both, the mini is up for sale, and im after another zed! say no more!

upto NSL there is nowt in it with a zed and a JCW (my current steed) cross country, theres not much that could outpace one either, but then again its all down to the skill of the driver!

raw figures show there is about 6bhp in it per ton (in favour of the mini compared to a 276bhp zed) but, trust me, the aerodynamics of the mini above NSL are like hitting a brick wall!

what do i prefer..?? well, ive had both, the mini is up for sale, and im after another zed! say no more!

NSL? :blush: