E85 conversions anyone?

andlid

Anyone tried to run their Z on E85?

Was talking to a tuner the other day about getting mine mapped for E85, should not be any problem in doing so according to him :teeth:

Have the Haltech Platinum Engine Management system so changing the tune around should not be much of a problem. :thumbs:

Might need to upgrade the injectors (hopefully not) with a good base map and tune he'd charge me 350€ for the work, should I or not?

A :snack:

More power, I'm guessing. E85 is a very high-octane fuel.

If the Haltech gives you the option of switching between maps on the fly then go for it, but given the scarcity of E85 you'd have to have a decent petrol map to go along with it.

More power, I'm guessing. E85 is a very high-octane fuel.

If the Haltech gives you the option of switching between maps on the fly then go for it, but given the scarcity of E85 you'd have to have a decent petrol map to go along with it.

The haltech does have the change map on the fly option. Worth a good think... not only power increase... can deduct the VAT on the petrol too :D

It should drink about 20% more and in there lies the power increase... I hope ;)

I'll keep you guys posted, with petrol price increasing more then ethanol at the moment it starts looking even more likely that I go ahead. Was hoping that someone else had done this before though.

E85 is bioethanol, definately more power gains to be had from running it....but where can you buy it?

+1 - the power gain would be nice so long as you can reliably get it ;)

I've never seen it!

Scandanavia has it all over the shop though!

Usually it is mixed in with normal fuel, I think Volvo will sell you a car that can run on it as well as normal unleaded. Has better green credentials - lots of arguments whether that is true or not. Not something you will find at your regular pumps though.

I was looking into this the other day as my local Shell Station sells it.

I was taking to a mate of mine on Tuesday who has entered Time Attack this year and he has converted his track car onto E85 and he was able to put 12 Degrees back onto his ignition at the remap and the difference in power was staggering. :thumbs:

Can't remember what ratio of mix he was using but he now uses twice as much fuel as before. :scare:

Not expensive either at the moment due to the the government subsidies, but that wont last.

Watch this space ;)

I was looking into this the other day as my local Shell Station sells it.

I was taking to a mate of mine on Tuesday who has entered Time Attack this year and he has converted his track car onto E85 and he was able to put 12 Degrees back onto his ignition at the remap and the difference in power was staggering. :thumbs:

Can't remember what ratio of mix he was using but he now uses twice as much fuel as before. :scare:

Not expensive either at the moment due to the the government subsidies, but that wont last.

Watch this space ;)

:wacko: double fuel.. must be using ALL that new found power so ;) Wonder if I could re-register the car and get down from the 1500€ / year tax bracket that's over here on anything over 3litre...

E85 = 85% Ethanol and 15% Petrol, all the Maxol stations over here in Ireland are using / have E85. :disguise: Topaz has started with the E5 (5% Ethanol). The car is mapped for E5 and if I go to Topaz it doesn't run as good, better with a busy Maxol station. The quality seem to be all over the place, nothing different to petrol I guess. Only thing is that it's made from a crop ;) (not in Ireland as far as I know it's made from some leftover milk production, don't quote me on that)

Can someone else do this before me? Don't like to be the 1st trial and error person :disguise:

:headhurt:

• 2 months later...

I think someone else in Ireland has tried this but not on this forum with some success on a SC 350z....

Is it something that will be more available?

Suppose it would be good if you could switch maps when you have the option of getting some! And then back to the normal when you have the 98ron!

I think someone else in Ireland has tried this but not on this forum with some success on a SC 350z....

Is it something that will be more available?

Suppose it would be good if you could switch maps when you have the option of getting some! And then back to the normal when you have the 98ron!

E85? - hope so... :dance:

You dont have the linky?

Got a Haltech ECU which is capable of switching maps on the fly (via a windows O/S)

:drive1