How much does it take to be cheeky?

Anubis

Hi guys,

I'm looking at some 56 plate GT Uk cars with around 15k miles on them and looking for an idea of value based on my budget.

The dealers are selling them at £16k. Lets assume, all is fine with the cars - would it be unreasonable to offer £13.5k or would I be expecting a "laugh in my face" response. I know on personal trades, many of them are people's pride and joy and would likely get different responses depending on the individuals desire to sell, however with a trader it is just stock that can't be sold. Where would you draw the line at being cheeky?

I always have the moto of "if you don't ask you don't get..." ;)

My method is always start cheeky, then come back a bit, and when the price is decided, push them for some free servicing and MOT(s). You can then pretty much get back to where you started. They are alot more forgiving with free servicing than knocking more money off as labour is cheap for them ;)

in exactly the same situation as you, looking for 56 plates as well, emailed one dealer saying i thought his car was overpriced considering the market and that im on auto trader, piston heads every day and i see cheaper similar spec cars and when he rang me i had a 5min rant from him about he knows the market better than me, better than people on forums etc, never rang him back.

Thinking of doing the same as you, i've got one dealer to knock some money off a car but i still dont think its enough, going to ring today and say if he sells to me for 13.5k then hes got a deal, if he doesnt then ill keep looking

The 350z I bought was advertised at £9995, a dec 03 plate with 30k on the clock plus GT pack. This could have been sold for a grand more, Im sure of that. I looked round the car, seemed really interested then hit him :boxing: with an offer of 9k!

After going to see the car over the space of a couple of days we finally agreed a price of £9150, I think. Then I pushed for a scratch to be removed from the car and a few other little niggles, full service and MOT (which is what you should get anyway) and the car to be valeted.

Dont be afraid to go in with a low offer, be cheeky and stick to your guns! God I love haggling for stuff! ha ha you have nothing to lose, go for it! :lol:

I think the key is to be confiden but also knowledgable. Go prepared, know your market and be prepared to recite to him at least two or three details of other similar, cheaper cars. Make him think his is overpriced. Let him know that its his car you want but at a price in line with the others available.

On the flipside if their are no thers available cheaper then tread carefully to secure a deal. If his car is cheap already that does not mean he's desperate and will automatically chop another £2.5k off just because you asked. The market is @*!# at the moment but traders still need to make a profit so they need to sell but i doubt their is £2.5k clear profit in £16k cars at the moment......

they will either sell or they won't used this technique all the time, took down examples off autotrader to local nissan, there car was £4k over priced. most he would knock off was a couple of hundred. his response was if you won't buy it someone else will.

if you find one cheaper else where, why not just go and buy that one. i haven't bought a car locally since my very first one.

i live in suffolk and bought my zed from harrowgate, my last car was from stoke on trent, and the ca rbefore that was enfield. if the savings worht the travel then travel.

i didn't even test drive the zed i bought, saw it asked the right questions agreed on a px, they brought it down for me and took mine away. as it was from a dealer the miles were low i wasn't worried, as you have comeback on things and a warranty.

The market is @*!# at the moment but traders still need to make a profit so they need to sell but i doubt their is £2.5k clear profit in £16k cars at the moment......

Agreed - I would say trade in for a good 56 one is around the £13k mark tops. I'm going to have to see. The thing that puts me in an excellent position is I actually have all the cash right now - no waiting for finance or loans, etc (I've saved for ages so I can buy one so I'm not looking to blow the lot cos someone else wants to be greedy).

Thinking of doing the same as you, i've got one dealer to knock some money off a car but i still dont think its enough, going to ring today and say if he sells to me for 13.5k then hes got a deal, if he doesnt then ill keep looking

Can you let me know what response you got? Any considerations or slight increase on offer? :)

Personally I think you have no chance of getting a car marked at 16K for 13.5K. You may get a grand or so off but not 2.5K.

While I think you should always go in with a low offer going in silly low will just put the trader off doing business, probably even in these hard times. I know a sale is sale.

Its interesting to think about it. People emailing dealers saying thier cars are overpriced compared to X, Y and Z. If that is the case why are you emailing them and not going for the other cars on X, Y and Z. I am guessing you want the car the dealer has more which means it worth more.

There is talk that the value of second hand cars has already stabilised and sometimes increased in some areas for the reason that no-one is buying new but looking second hand thus the cars that all dropped massivly are slowely starting to creep up more due to greater demand. I know on this site there have been loads of people looking for them 2nd hand

dont know if the what car valuations are accurate but ill post them anyway

06 with 30k miles:

Dealer £14,920

Private £13,595

Part exchange £12,745

Trade £12,245

Cost new £28,845

56 with 30k miles

Dealer £15,355

Private £14,065

Part exchange £13,245

Trade £12,745

Cost new £28,995

i think there both overvalued

dont know if the what car valuations are accurate but ill post them anyway

06 with 30k miles:

Dealer £14,920

Private £13,595

Part exchange £12,745

Trade £12,245

Cost new £28,845

56 with 30k miles

Dealer £15,355

Private £14,065

Part exchange £13,245

Trade £12,745

Cost new £28,995

i think there both overvalued

That illustrates my point, if those figures are even slightly accurate. If a dealer takes those cars in PX and sells them at the dealer prices then there is only slightly more than £2k profit in the car before they even think about servicing, tax, mot, valeting and warranties...

Getting a dealer to knock off £2.5k is unrealistic imo. Dealers have no emotive reason to sell. Your more likely to get a desperate private seller to do that imo........

My car was on at £19k a year ago. It is definitely not a seller's market. Took them a year to sell it - I finally took it off their hands at £12k dead on with 2 yrs extended mfr warranty, full service mot etc, very good condition, 55 plate, just over 30k miles, full service history. My car is only one year older than the one you are looking at and offer what ever you feel is reasonable. They will always laugh in your face even if you offer only £1000 less. Offer 13k and settle at 13.5-14k - that to me is not unreasonable at all. If it is a main dealer they are likely to want to shift it. No harm in asking at all. But as said above definitely start low. Its a buyer's market.

Didnt get chance to phone the one dealer today but got in touch with another, he has a 56 plate with a few months of warranty left, GT spec even though he didn't realize and i had to tell him :lol: , listed at £14,000 and he really wouldnt budge on the price, hes actually selling it on behalf of someone else and has been told if he doesnt get the 14k then the person will just keep the car, didnt mind throwing in 6months tax though.

Going to ring the dealer with the car i do want tomorrow and offer 14k, 1k cheaper than he's listed the car at, same 56 plate, see what happens with that.

I've also just seen a 56 plate on piston heads from a private seller

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/933883.htm

emailed the guy and it is GT spec, would probably offer him 13k for that simply because there's so much more risk for me or anyone buying private.

So would you guys rather have a 14k dealer car or a 13k private car? assuming there exactly the same spec and everything.

Although that’s a 56 plate, it’s worth noting that it’s the Mk1 Zed… :thumbs:

really? how can you tell? It has the rays alloys which i guess the car could have bought, can you tell from the distant interior shot he has taken from the boot? or is there something im missing?

I have a Dec' 2006, 56 plate 27,000 mile spotless black GT and put it up for sale on PistonHeads in November with a price of £15,500. At the time I consulted the guys on here to gauge the asking price.

Most folk agreed that was a realistic price, I never sold the car and rather than sell if for less than it's worth I decided to keep it.

I consider myself to be fairly tolerant but I am also very busy so when I got a few phone calls asking the lowest price I would take for the car and making offers less than £14k I got pretty p!ssed off and more or less told them where to go and ended up not even wasting my time showing them the car.

Personally speaking I would rather not sell the car than put up with a chancer.

My previous car was a Porsche Boxster S and when selling that it had 2 months MOT and I agreed a deal with a guy, as part of the deal I foolishly promised to put it through a new MOT; to cut a long story the car had corroded discs so I had the discs and pads replaced..... £700 and a full MOT later, the guy decided this was the time to try to re-negotiate.

I could have put put non Porsche discs and pads at half the cost but the car was my P&J and perfect in every way so I wanted to keep it like this, to stick by my word and 'do the right thing' so when the prospective buyer tried to get the price reduced this absolutely infuriated me which quickly ended our conversation.

I sold the car the following week to a guy who fell in love with car straight away and who was a pleasure to deal with.

Following from this experience I will no longer waste my time with someone not will/able to pay the asking price, obviously a little negotiation is necessary but if someone called me expecting to get £2.5k off a £16k asking price I wouldn't entertain them and they would not get the opportunity to waste any more of my time.

This attitude might not be conducive to selling cars quickly and if time goes on enough this attitude may cost me more in depreciation but my time is more precious to me than a few quid and the thought of someone trying to get a bargain at my expense does not sit well at all.

My car was on at £19k a year ago. It is definitely not a seller's market. Took them a year to sell it - I finally took it off their hands at £12k dead on with 2 yrs extended mfr warranty, full service mot etc, very good condition, 55 plate, just over 30k miles, full service history. My car is only one year older than the one you are looking at and offer what ever you feel is reasonable. They will always laugh in your face even if you offer only £1000 less. Offer 13k and settle at 13.5-14k - that to me is not unreasonable at all. If it is a main dealer they are likely to want to shift it. No harm in asking at all. But as said above definitely start low. Its a buyer's market.

But that £7k difference is not your haggling skills, its a combination of horrendous depreciation, a shite economy, an extortionate starting price and market price adjustment etc etc

Although that’s a 56 plate, it’s worth noting that it’s the Mk1 Zed… :thumbs:

really? how can you tell? It has the rays alloys which i guess the car could have bought, can you tell from the distant interior shot he has taken from the boot? or is there something im missing?

To name a few, Headlights and rear lights, rears are none-LED, original front bumper, original square Bose headunit, 3 dials are in the original style... :thumbs:

"So would you guys rather have a 14k dealer car or a 13k private car? assuming there exactly the same spec and everything."

- I'd definitely go for the private car, especially if it was still under manufacturers warranty.

I have a Dec' 2006, 56 plate 27,000 mile spotless black GT and put it up for sale on PistonHeads in November with a price of £15,500. At the time I consulted the guys on here to gauge the asking price.

Most folk agreed that was a realistic price, I never sold the car and rather than sell if for less than it's worth I decided to keep it.

I consider myself to be fairly tolerant but I am also very busy so when I got a few phone calls asking the lowest price I would take for the car and making offers less than £14k I got pretty p!ssed off and more or less told them where to go and ended up not even wasting my time showing them the car.

Personally speaking I would rather not sell the car than put up with a chancer.

My previous car was a Porsche Boxster S and when selling that it had 2 months MOT and I agreed a deal with a guy, as part of the deal I foolishly promised to put it through a new MOT; to cut a long story the car had corroded discs so I had the discs and pads replaced..... £700 and a full MOT later, the guy decided this was the time to try to re-negotiate.

I could have put put non Porsche discs and pads at half the cost but the car was my P&J and perfect in every way so I wanted to keep it like this, to stick by my word and 'do the right thing' so when the prospective buyer tried to get the price reduced this absolutely infuriated me which quickly ended our conversation.

I sold the car the following week to a guy who fell in love with car straight away and who was a pleasure to deal with.

Following from this experience I will no longer waste my time with someone not will/able to pay the asking price, obviously a little negotiation is necessary but if someone called me expecting to get £2.5k off a £16k asking price I wouldn't entertain them and they would not get the opportunity to waste any more of my time.

This attitude might not be conducive to selling cars quickly and if time goes on enough this attitude may cost me more in depreciation but my time is more precious to me than a few quid and the thought of someone trying to get a bargain at my expense does not sit well at all.

+1,000

You wouldn't believe the people that would offer to buy my Gallardo for £10k under what I was asking via TEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scare::rant::angry:

If they are not articulate or brave enough to pick up the phone about a £85k purchase then they have no chance of even getting a viewing, especially as my family and my safety is paramount.

I never understand people offering money for a car they haven't seen!?!?

spoke with a couple of dealers today, told one i had seen another similar specd car to his for £14k and asked him to match this price, at first he refused and said i should go for the other 14k car but as soon as i said ok ill look into that one he decided he could do something for me.

Phoned me back a few hours later and agreed to match the price so i have put a deposit down on an azure blue, 56 plate, 2007 registered, gt spec, still with Nissan Warranty till Jan 2010, 31k miles, 1 owner, full Nissan service history for 14k, he listed it at 15k.

I would like to think i could have perhaps got an extended warranty but didnt get chance to throw that at him before we agreed, if i see anything wrong with the car when i go to view in early April then ill bring this up.

The other 14k 56 plate wouldnt budge at all on the price, but sounded willing to throw in 6months tax and 6months extended warranty