What would you do?

Anubis

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice from existing members since you know the car very well.

I had my very first test drive in a 287BHP '06 zed today that had the older version interior (with GT pack). I asked the dealer if he can feel any real difference in the engine upgrades and he stated that the 313BHP feels a lot quicker than the 287BHP I drove. I'm not sure (as with all dealers) if I would take his word on this, because obviously 313BHP is the latest which is more money for his future sale.

If you had £15k (tops) to spend on a zed (looking for either 287BHP or 300BHP), what one would you go for (please try and set aside biased views based on your own car - what would you choose now if you could)? I plan to mod the car with all the Nismo stuff too (this isn't in my £15k budget).

Also, I compared the two interior styles (old and new) and checked out the 'new better feel' plastics in a brand new 08 model and the older 06 one - the black stuff feels exactly the same. The only thing I could see in quality is the center console - but is it really worth the extra £2-3k when buying 2nd hand?

I've checked the FAQ's and read tons of posts of comparisons, so I know the differences - I would like an opinion based on what you feel about the zeds you drive. For those of you who have an 'older' version (287BHP), do you feel a bit gutted at the extras the 300BHP one has to offer? If you had the chance, would you pay an extra £2-3k to have this stuff on your cars with the power upgrade? Would you now go for an older model and save a few thousand or stick to your guns and get the newer model?

I can't afford the 313BHP since I want to also mod this in the future (prices are still just out of the £15k band so I'm not even considering this).

Please feel free to comment so I can make a judgement call...

Thanks. :thumbs:

There are quite a few owners on here that have had multiple Zeds.

They are best placed to offer an opinion.

Ebized had a 276 and now a 296.

There are also people like Digsy, GC350Z etc that have had the 313 after a 276.

If you are modding, a good 276 model will probably suit you fine. I think the condition is probably more important than the engine.

Some 296 models used a bit of oil, but i don't think it was too bad overall.

Fairly well documented oil consumption issues. Most didn't use but some did. Just so happened that one of the worst offenders (engine replacement) was on a magazines fleet.

The 276 is a bit torquier. 20bhp sounds like a lot but in real terms I've been told that the 276 is the better of those two.

Oh and BHP is great down the pub. Torques what matters on the road.

I've driven 16 350's + my own of course. Mine is almost 5 years old, a bit lighter than the newer ones and a bit more torquey. I personally prefer my older model in terms of engine. Now if I were in your shoes just getting into it, and thinking of adding quite a few mods, I'd probably go with a slightly older one with low mileage if possible.

But it all comes down to the condition of the car, if you find one that has been looked after both mechanically and panel and paint is in good condition, I'd probably grab it irrespective of year.

I've got a 296 bhp face lift model and have also driven the earlier 276 version. I have to agree wityh most thet the 276 model does pull slightly better and is argued by some to be a better engine due to the oil consumption issues of the 296. To counter that however, most will agree that the interior is quite a bit better on the 296 and other mods such as the led rear lights, double zenons, etc make for a better car. Overall, I would suggest if you are looking to heavily mod your car then go for the 276, if not, then the value of then later model is likely to be better in the long term

Thanks for the comments and thoughts guys.

It's good to hear some views. If the car is an older model, then I don't mind too much about the rear clusters - I can easily pay for LED one's and swap them over. I'm getting the feeling that the 'older' model would be more value for money if no newer versions are in the same price range.

The important thing I will be looking out for is obviously the quality of the car, so it's likely I will probably be aiming for the 287BHP version. If the right 'new model' one came along in the same price range then I would obviously go for that but it won't be a 'must have' option for me.

I just don't want to get into a situation of 2-3 years down the line I wished I had gone for the newer model.

Any way, I have to say that after driving the zed it does have a feeling of a 911 about it. The best way I could describe driving a zed is mix both a 911 and a Golf R32...well, thats what I thought. Could be wrong...

:wacko:

If anyone else has more thoughts on which version they would take then please keep commenting. I will be checking up on this thread... :thumbs:

Thanks Again. :)

Hi i have had my 2004 350z for about 6 weeks now and love it.

You say you got £15 grand to buy one and you want to mod it .

You should be able to pick a good low milage car with mods allready

done for that kind of money.

I think i dropped lucky with mine 21000 miles ,nismo kit, K+N typhoon ,

Kinetix Plenum,DC sports Exhaust and racing cats , paid £13,500.

So if i was you i would just keep looking for the right car..

And No i dont want to sell it. :lol:

I'm by no means an expert in the differences between the two models but I think if I could afford a newer model (and the tax to go with it!) I'd get one. The engines aren't going to be that different, and with 300ish bhp and a bit less torque you're still getting a fast car. I think the nicer plastics and finishings inside would sway me more than the engine (and I'm a power nut!). Resale-wise newer spec cars will hold their value better.

Just my opinion...

Nice find! :thumbs:

I'm looking for an Azure one though around 15k miles. Plus I can't buy until May time (I'm in that painful stage of looking every 5 mins wishing time to go faster) - I need to get my 4th year NCB, tax my current car before selling it on, etc - which is all in May. :headhurt:

Oh well...good things come to those who wait so I am told. :)

I couldn't notice much difference between the 276 and 296 bhps on test drives. I think you would have to drive them back to back.

Had to be the 296 bhp face lift model for me. The better interior and lighter cluch made the difference. :thumbs:

Am sure which ever you get you'll love it! :teeth: