I hate public transport!

Lexx

Im on day release from my boat today, as I have to attend some meeting or other at SFPA HQ in Edinburgh. So today has been a traveling day.

Up at 7am - Scary ride in the RIB, in dense fog, with a deaf guy driving it!

0850 - flight from Sornoway to Edinburgh on something that the Wright brothers nailed together! Even the stewardess was a Moose!

I swear I thought it was gunna fall apart around me!

1100 - National Express "revamped" train from Edinburgh to Durham. Revamped my arse! Still the same crap trains I remember from 6 years ago when I used GNER regular

And that muppet Brown expects me to use public transport rather than my car!?

I dont care how much he taxes me! I'm bloody driving my CO2 excreting, Gas Guzzling, Child killing Zed!

Sod the bloody ozone!

:clap: + 1 - I'd rather get peasant wagons to work rather than putting the miles on the Zed if they were reliable, on time, at times that allow me to get to work and home, not full of scrotes/scum/detritus and if you didn't need immunisation to protect against all the coughs and sneezes down the back of your neck :dry:

Yikes Lexx feel for you mate!

Have you been on Metro link trams in Mankchester!!

Last couple of times I have had the misfortune to go on them late on a Friday along with the great unwashed p***heads! :scare:

Will never forget that Mank meet with Stew and Drewbie - just as well I had protected myself against the germs by the cunning use of Boddingtons beer on the return journey but for f***s sake it was scary!

Private 350Z transport system for me everytime - even the van is superior for goodness sakes! :D

Pulblic trasport in my area sucks. In the city it seems cheap enough. For me to get to and from the city it costs £4.80 on the bus and it can take up to an hour depending which bizzare route it takes!

It's an 8 mile drive so can be in town in 20 mins easily. Parking for £2.30 in a multi storey for 2 hours and lets face it, I'm a bloke. 2 hours is more than long enough!

Ok, tyres and wear and tear aside, I think it's cheaper taking the car!

And that muppet Brown expects me to use public transport rather than my car!?

I dont care how much he taxes me! I'm bloody driving my CO2 excreting, Gas Guzzling, Child killing Zed!

Sod the bloody ozone!

Just to be a pedant, the current Government is allowing such large fare rises as it is aiming for at least 75% of the cost of the trains/public transport to be met by its users. I don't think making it expensive at the point of use is a good way to encourage people to use it though. :dry:

For people to use public transport its really very simple is'nt it:

1) Has to be reliable

2) Has to be clean

3) Has to be cheap

4) Has to be regular

5) Has to be safe

6) Has to be convenient

7) Has to be on time

8) Has to be operated by people who give a stuff!

There you go easy!...

If the Japs ,Dutch and French can do all this why cant we? :wacko:

Im with you on this one. Unfortunately my office is in the centre of town with no parking, so I'm stuck with public transport. £2 for a 3.5ish mile journey which takes about 45 mins all in when I can do it in the car in 10 (traffic) :angry: To sit with a load of chavs, coughing and spluttering ill people, screaming babies, etc. Lovely :dry: That's not to mention the weird people who try to talk to me (hence having my headphones glued to my ears).

In the summer, I walk!!!! :lol:

The park and ride scheme in York is spot on but other than that I hate public transport. Expensive, unreliable and sometimes scary. I remember coming home from france once and my train from manchester airport back to york had been cancelled so they put a bus on instead. It was awful. I had a wierd bloke sat in front of me who kept turning round and shaking his fist at me - he looked like he'd escaped from Broadmoor - it was late at night and very scary!

Another time - turned up to get a train for birmingham to the bike show at NEC - ticket was £75!!!!! AND had to stand up for most of the way! Appauling!

Was just about to say it would be quicker to walk Cara. I took the bus one day when the snow hit a few weeks back. Was a nightmare. The service that comes by every 10 minutes didn't turn up for 45 minutes, and then they charged me £2.40 one way. Even if it costs me more in the Zed I'd much rather take it, despite the snow!

At least its not a regular thing for you Lexx. Cara on the other hand, I feel sorry for you :(

Was just about to say it would be quicker to walk Cara. I took the bus one day when the snow hit a few weeks back. Was a nightmare. The service that comes by every 10 minutes didn't turn up for 45 minutes, and then they charged me £2.40 one way. Even if it costs me more in the Zed I'd much rather take it, despite the snow!

At least its not a regular thing for you Lexx. Cara on the other hand, I feel sorry for you :(

Thanks. It's crap! I don't like to walk in the winter though seeing as it's dark and bad weather more often than not.

I'd love to use the Z to commute, I'm jealous of those who do :p

Thanks. It's crap! I don't like to walk in the winter though seeing as it's dark and bad weather more often than not.

I'd love to use the Z to commute, I'm jealous of those who do :p

Dont be Cara - its 700 miles a week for me and its a short service interval as you know ..thats why I am using the van a lot more these days - next service is due and thats another £300 which I dont have at the mo.... :surrender:

Dont be Cara - its 700 miles a week for me and its a short service interval as you know ..thats why I am using the van a lot more these days - next service is due and thats another £300 which I dont have at the mo.... :surrender:

Well this is true and a very good point. I suppose I should say that I'd just be glad to be able to drive anything to work rather than the crappy bus service :dry:

Well this is true and a very good point. I suppose I should say that I'd just be glad to be able to drive anything to work rather than the crappy bus service :dry:

I know what you mean - mines not a normal case though I'm lucky to have a car like this for a daily commute (boring as it is) a few of us on the forum (squarehead) also have these long and arduous journeys but give me that instead of public transport anyday of the week! :D

Get yourself a vespa scooter then - they are cheap enough and look pretty groovy - you dont need to wear the industry standard parker with RAF logo on the back though! :lol:

I know what you mean - mines not a normal case though I'm lucky to have a car like this for a daily commute (boring as it is) a few of us on the forum (squarehead) also have these long and arduous journeys but give me that instead of public transport anyday of the week! :D

Get yourself a vespa scooter then - they are cheap enough and look pretty groovy - you dont need to wear the industry standard parker with RAF logo on the back though! :lol:

Do you have to travel far? I actually have thought about a scooter - I just keep thinking I'm going to be laughed at :lol: Thought about going for bike licence too, but I'm scared, i'm a wimp :headhurt: That and the dreaded 'hat hair' :lol:

Do you have to travel far? I actually have thought about a scooter - I just keep thinking I'm going to be laughed at :lol: Thought about going for bike licence too, but I'm scared, i'm a wimp :headhurt: That and the dreaded 'hat hair' :lol:

700 miles per week! Stew's the bike expert!! You will have to go for a crewcut haircut then and not worry about it!

I can't agree more about the poor quality/expense of public transport; I commute between Glasgow and Edinburgh every day which is a 100 mile round trip and the train costs pennies under £20.

Until recently I had been putting more miles on my Zed than I wanted to so bought a Vectra SRi diesel to commute in, as a result I'm saving almost £10 per day in a cleaner, more comfortable and convenient environment, only down side is that the Zed is a bit of an ornament these days.

Saying that, I've discovered that if you drive your Zed every day you take it for granted but if used very occasionally, you appreciate it so much more after commuting in something mundane