Dead battery - can I charge it by driving?

glastoveteran

Hi all,

Zed has been left unused for a month or so and the battery is dead - won't unlock, no lights on dash etc. It jump started fine but only drove around for about 10 mins and so as a result it's dead again. Can I charge it by driving it for a good hour or will it need charging with a proper charger?

It's a JDM by the way so I know it has the smaller battery.

Cheers guys,

Alex

Would say it needs a proper charging. But imho your battery may be duff. I often leave mine for several weeks at this time of year and never have any problems with a flat battery. May be worth getting it properly tested. :)

Another good idea is to buy an Optimate III if you are gonna keep your car in storage for an extended period of time.

It keeps your battery charged and helps against sulfating.

You can also attach a permanent connection that allows you to just plug-in the optimate whenever you need it.

Got one on a Honda CBR600 and it fires up first time everytime when having been in storage.

Oh, looks like there is a newer version out

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... de=MTXOPT4

Another good idea is to buy an Optimate III if you are gonna keep your car in storage for an extended period of time.

It keeps your battery charged and helps against sulfating.

You can also attach a permanent connection that allows you to just plug-in the optimate whenever you need it.

Got one on a Honda CBR600 and it fires up first time everytime when having been in storage.

Oh, looks like there is a newer version out

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... de=MTXOPT4

I use one of these and it is one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Hi all,

Zed has been left unused for a month or so and the battery is dead - won't unlock, no lights on dash etc. It jump started fine but only drove around for about 10 mins and so as a result it's dead again. Can I charge it by driving it for a good hour or will it need charging with a proper charger?

It's a JDM by the way so I know it has the smaller battery.

Cheers guys,

Alex

My battery is dead again this morning, its only been 4 days since it was last used but I can unlock mine with the remote, the windows autodrop when I open the door & I have dash lights (Very faint but they are on)

I've tried jump starting mine but with no success, mine is a uk car though.

Dodgy battery or something else wrong with car? (it hasn't had a proper run out since early december :blush: )

Sorry for hijacking your thread but its better than starting a new one for a similar issue :)

Hi all,

Alex

My battery is dead again this morning, its only been 4 days since it was last used but I can unlock mine with the remote, the windows autodrop when I open the door & I have dash lights (Very faint but they are on)

Dodgy battery or something else wrong with car? (it hasn't had a proper run out since early december :blush: )

Sorry for hijacking your thread but its better than starting a new one for a similar issue :)

4 days is about how long it takes the heated seat to flatten the battery....

Hi all,

Alex

4 days is about how long it takes the heated seat to flatten the battery....

I'll check that :thumbs:

Its been nearly 2 months since it last moved so I'll probably need a new battery anyway. Its the original battery so its lasted 5 years :)

Do the heated seats stay on even after the key is out of the ignition?

Yep - read the manual ( I didn't have to :blush: )

You sure? I have just read the manual and it does not say this. It only says

* When your finished turn back to OFF

* If you keep your heated seats on without the engine running you could kill the battery

Doesn't say the seats stay on. More to the point I have just been away for 8 days from mine with them on and it started fine. Have done it before for 11 days too without any problem.

As for the battery - if you have drained it you will have damaged it so i would recommend replacing it.

EDIT: Having read the service manual heated seats are ONLY on with ignition. So leaving them switched on with the car off will NOT drain the battery

Do the heated seats stay on even after the key is out of the ignition?

Yep - read the manual ( I didn't have to :blush: )

You sure? I have just read the manual and it does not say this. It only says

* When your finished turn back to OFF

* If you keep your heated seats on without the engine running you could kill the battery

Doesn't say the seats stay on. More to the point I have just been away for 8 days from mine with them on and it started fine. Have done it before for 11 days too without any problem.

As for the battery - if you have drained it you will have damaged it so i would recommend replacing it.

EDIT: Having read the service manual heated seats are ONLY on with ignition. So leaving them switched on with the car off will NOT drain the battery

What year is yours. I'm as sure as can be coz i did it - then found a warning not toleave them on in my 54 plates manual.

Seemed bonkers not to just put a timer in....

Mines an 04

I have the wiring diag for the model and the heaters are relay switched with the Ignition switch - See attached

No company would allow a car accessory with high current draw to be left on by default without the ignition on.

Well mine drains if I leave the seat on..... 10 times this year till I discovered the inncuous switch was on when i replaced the battery.

Makes me wonder if having the Pioneer wired in somehow bypassed the ignition.. hmmm!!