Powdercoating Stock Alloys

RobbieB

Hey Guys,

I am picking up my gun metal grey 05 350Z this weekend and am very much looking forward to it. I have a few changes in mind that I want to do it, and as much as I would like some 19" Nismo alloys I can't afford it. Has anyone got a picture of a gun metal grey 350Z with black powdercoated alloys? I can't decide if it would look rubbish or not!

(Also thanks Had Ham for pointing me in the direction of this site from PH :teeth: )

Rob

:welcome:

Do a search on here and my350z.com for piccies, there are quite a few about. I know I had a thread with some in but it was a while ago, so cant remember where it is :blush:

EDIT: Heres a few I found in my photobucket

SLR1148EE.jpg

6-1.jpg

350Z_time_attacks.jpg

Time_attack_close_up.jpg

2-1.jpg

:thumbs:

someone in the past had done it to some standard OEM wheels on here. Did them in black powdercoat. It wasn't my cup of tea TBH. I checked to see if there was any pictures, but they have been removed.

Emperor Ming was going to do his in gunmetal grey. Pm him. He may have some pictures to help you decide

:welcome:

Oh also, forgot to say, when powdercoating, make sure you use someone good. I seem to remember if you bake them too hot, it partly melts the structure of the metal, and can cause the wheel to become weaker than normal. IIRC its something like keeping it below 200C when baking them. Any good powder coater would know this I guess :)

Thanks alot guys, really appreciate your help. I'm going to have to have a think about this, can't decide if I like it or not. It does make it a bit more GT/Touring in appearance in my opinion but not sure!

Also, sorry Martin it was actually you who first emailed me a link to this site. Cheers!

Thanks alot guys, really appreciate your help. I'm going to have to have a think about this, can't decide if I like it or not. It does make it a bit more GT/Touring in appearance in my opinion but not sure!

Also, sorry Martin it was actually you who first emailed me a link to this site. Cheers!

why dont you go anthracite rather than black. i think full black can make the wheels look abit cheap and tacky where as anthracite still shows off the curves and reflects the light nicely rather than a solid block colour.

Oh also, forgot to say, when powdercoating, make sure you use someone good. I seem to remember if you bake them too hot, it partly melts the structure of the metal, and can cause the wheel to become weaker than normal. IIRC its something like keeping it below 200C when baking them. Any good powder coater would know this I guess :)

Good warning.....

2.jpg

From the convo on the other forum its 180 degrees... Worth looking at Wet Painting as an alternative even if they may need redoing in the future... £65 per wheel once every year or 2 or £500 for a new wheel... And the possibility of crashing your car!!

someone in the past had done it to some standard OEM wheels on here. Did them in black powdercoat. It wasn't my cup of tea TBH. I checked to see if there was any pictures, but they have been removed.

Still available on the car domain site I think.... ;)