clunking/rattle coming from front offside **UPDATE**

scottsoulby

see post 4,

im sure somebody will show me up by finding one, but is there a guide to remove the front suspension and refit, ive bought a new suspension unit as aparrently so nissan claim is causing my clunking noise when driving, most garages are quoting 80 pounds to change it, which i thought was a bit much,seen as its just a straight swap, so ill have a go myself depending what it entails. Thanks

Scott

Remove strut brace if required to gain access to top strut mount bolts.

Loosen road wheel

Jack up vehicle

Fit axle stand in place

Remove road wheel

Disconnect brake line etc. at strut

Remove bottom strut fixing bolt.

Lever down lower suspension arm with long bar and move strut away from lower fixing point.

Remove top fixing nuts at top mount and withdraw strut.

Reassemble in reverse of above.

Retighten wheel when lowered to ground.

thanks,

all done for nothing though, changed it all, and its still clunking, removed the anti roll bar link again to check its not that and its not,

this is getting really frustrating now,

does anyone have any ideas what else it could be, its definetly coming from the front offside, it only happens on rougher ground it sounds like a loud clunking/rattle,

ive had it in nissan for 1 1/2 days and thier not far from stumped, i took it to a local garage to have the shock fitted and they suggested the anti roll bar again, but they said they will look at it more closely for me but at 45 pounds per hour and im sure they will take as long as possible

I had a knocking noise on the same side shortly after I had my KW3 coilovers fitted.I only could hear as I turned the wheels on the spot.

I took it in for service and it vanished and the only thing I can think of is they greased some part of the suspension.It's not happened since.

wish that could happen to mine, its driving me mad, it happens when driving on rougher ground, it sounds like something is loose making a clunking/rattle, its quite loud, its putting me off driving the car, its embarrasing drving through town, nice looking car but clunks like hell

I also had a mettalic rattle,I thought it was exhaust.Took it back to dealers who twice stripped the rear drive shafts and found nothing.On third time back they checked the front and found a stone trapped between wheel and disc somewhere.Dont ask me where but that's what they told me.

Have you asked the dealer to do a search of your prob,they have a data base on prob they encouter for each model.Its nationwide so they should find something on there.

Must admit that I am having the occasional clunk and rattle in what sounds like the rear passenger side of the car.

Also the suspension sounds like it squeeks every now and then when I reverse really slow (like 1mph or something) or move forward from say a reverse very slowly.

Will watch the thread with interest as mine is driving me mad too...

• 1 month later...

heard a few people are maybe having the same problem as me,

has anyone got any further with their problem??

an update on mine:

been in nissan for 7 days, with the help of alex (ZMANALEX) changed alot of things including:

front strut

spring

top mount

sway bar endlinks

brakes taken off and regreased

top wishbone

non have worked so far but now nissan are 99.9% sure it is a lower bar, its a banana shaped item coming from the car itself and joins just behind the brake,

alex is sending me the bar on tuesday and ill get it fitted, so fingers crossed it will work and people can get there local nissan/garage to check it out

thanks

Scott

• 2 months later...

Hi

I had the same, spoke to the op and yes he got sorted. Mine was the same and it turns out that the Banana shaped bar is the culprit(rear front drag link). :wacko:

I think its a pricy wee bugger :scare:

I had the same problem--got it sorted now the drivers side is making the same noise :thumbdown::headhurt:

Hi

I had the same, spoke to the op and yes he got sorted. Mine was the same and it turns out that the Banana shaped bar is the culprit(rear front drag link). :wacko:

I think its a pricy wee bugger :scare:

I had the same problem--got it sorted now the drivers side is making the same noise :thumbdown::headhurt:

I have these available for both sides if required :thumbs:

pm if you require further assistance.

Hi mate, it was the bottom bar, it is a banana shaped bar the has a ball joint on one side and it was this that was loose, make sure you to through alex(zmanalex) for parts, excellent service and advice

I'll try and find some pics of it for you bud

Hi guys you were right it is that banana shaped bar. The balljoint has play in it!! Can I simply buy the balljoint and swap with the faulty on? Anyone with a balljoint for sale?

The ball joint is part of the arm and can not be bought separately.