Fuel gauge reading low

200sx

Since the onset of winter I have notice that my fuel guage reads low i.e. when I have filled it up to the brim the fuel gauge still doesn't show full.

This used to be common thing years ago on much older cars and was due to the setting connections being on the underside of the car. When the connector get covered in crap from the road it would read abit lower. Cleaning the connects would sort it out.

But looking in the service manual the fuel sender in part of the fuel pump assembly inside the fuel tank.

Anybody else experienced this.

Waiting for smart comments about the gauge always reading low because it uses so much fuel!

It also means that if a fill up as soon as the petrol warning light comes on, I can only get about 55litres in. Meaning I have about 25litres left in tanks.

Just slightly irritating, but it might return back to normal when the weather gets abit warmer.

I have this problem as well! And quiet random as well, depends on where I fill up. Maybe it's to due with the difficult to fill problem. Sometimes I can get it to fill to the MAX, but more often 3/4's is where the needle ends. I was going to speak to Nissan about it but thought it would be difficult to prove (i.e. by having to take them to the petrol station with me!)

DTE when full says - 340 - anybody else get more on the DTE when full?

The red light usual comes on with about 50 DTE.

Last time I filled up I had done about 10miles on --DTE and still only got 67 litres in. It is an 80 litre tank isn't it.

To be fair its always been like that really, its the full not showing full that has changed

I get this too.

Mine fills up to about 3 quarters then creeps up a tiny bit once driving. I could probably drive to Wales on my warning light.

To be honest I dont trust the fuel guage in the Zed anyway. Its always going up and down for me. :wacko:

mines always been a bitch to fill up. In my case i'm sure its more to do with the fuel filler restrictor that's fitted on an import. I can only fill it very slowly and sometimes they turn the pump off before i've finished! :blush: very rarely get a full tank - couldn't get any more in tonight when I filled up but the needle didn't read full.

Fuel sender unit, its a cr@p design, The measuring device is a flexy piece of metal that rubs along metal contact points, obviously this wears overtime or can get dirty. Its encorporated with the fuel pump located behind the Sub. Mine wouldnt read above half at one stage. replacement of this instantly cured it!

The only bad point is because the fuel tank goes over the prop shaft (cant think of the term now) its n shapped therefore there is another fuel sender on the oposite side under the secret cubby in the passengers glove box.

Any more info, drop us a PM.

There will be 2 signals back to the combimeter, 1 analogue (resistance as mentioned earlier) this obviously moves the fuel pointer, and the other a digital signal which alters the dte display. The DTE display will vary when filled up to the top depending on how you have been driving before you pull in to the petrol station, as it uses the last values to calculate the new DTE.

The fuel pointer will also vary sometimes from meter to meter, this will depend on any problems the machine was having during pressing of the pointer. The pointer angle is checked by cameras on the pressing machine, if someone altered the camera or the angle of the pointer press punch then variation will occur. Also variation can occur if the angle of the pointer is incorrect when assembled and the operator adjusts it by hand to get it too pass.

On some models of combimeter you dont get an accurate dte until you go over 20kmh after fill up.

Also (going on a bit now i know) the pointers on the 350z combimeter are moved by cross coils, and not stepper motors, so if the meter is left upside down for 20min or so then the silicone stats to run on the inside of the coils and this also makes the gauge less accurate.

• 1 month later...
Fuel sender unit, its a cr@p design, The measuring device is a flexy piece of metal that rubs along metal contact points, obviously this wears overtime or can get dirty. Its encorporated with the fuel pump located behind the Sub. Mine wouldnt read above half at one stage. replacement of this instantly cured it!

The only bad point is because the fuel tank goes over the prop shaft (cant think of the term now) its n shapped therefore there is another fuel sender on the oposite side under the secret cubby in the passengers glove box.

Any more info, drop us a PM.

Is this something you can change yourself with a Halfords toolkit and jack?

Anyone on here stock the bit I need to change (what ever it's called)?

Know you said to PM you Dan but thought others may want to know too :)

Firstly you wouldnt need a jack!

Follow the service guide, (there is a link on here) apart from ignore when it says remove all the panels all you need to remove is the Sub (if you have one) of if its the other side you just need to remove the access hatch in the rear glove box. the rest is a couple of bolts (only scary bit is depressurising your fuel system by removing a fuse for the fuel pump and then trying to start your car!) - Horrible noise!