Which tyre out of this lot! its time to reach for the Wallet

neil2185

Hello guys, this is my first time changing the tyres on my Zed and I have found the following 3 tryes that seem a pretty good deal without spending a huge amount.

I a can get 2 Falkens for £186

Dunlop sports SP01 £216

OR and id never heard of these but a mate has them on an M3 and says they are great Kumho KU31 for only £175

What do you think?

Prizes avalible to anyone that can beat that price (that is buying off the net and getting delivered to mine)

firstly if your replacing just 2 tires, i would actually suggest doing all 4 especially if your going to have different brands front and rear.

secondly for cheap tires go to Camskills on the net, they are pretty good on price.

thirdly, if price is an issue, falkens tend to be the best in the bunch for budget performance tires.

toyos are a little more but also well regarded on here.

to be honest searcing will pull most info that you will need and the rest is personal preference. everyone has there preffered brands.

and if you have lots of cash to splash the best tires apparently are the michelin pilot sports

firstly if your replacing just 2 tires, i would actually suggest doing all 4 especially if your going to have different brands front and rear.

+millionty

Don't mix 'n' match, especially in the winter as you'll end up in a ditch.

Toyos at the moment for me. Heard good things about the Falkens too.

I wouldn't mix and match either.... Double check whether the fronts of the same brand are at least available. We know the Falkens are, not so sure about the Dunlop or Kuhmo.....

I've always had Goodyear Eagle F1's and cant fault them. Just ordered a new set after covering 25,000 miles on the first set.

I do have the 19's so not sure if you can get them in the std Zed size but i would imagine so.

For reference just bought the rears 275 / 35 R19 at £170 each

Why can't you mix and match front and back?

I know tyres are probably the most important thing on a car but why the same front and back? (Unless its a 4x4)

You can, it's just you'll get a different feel in different conditions. Wet weather tends to magnify performance and if one or other is much better / worse in the wet, it can make handling a nightmare.

4x4's it's often even more important as the diffs and sensors need the same tyres so if distributes grip properly.

Side to side is a definite no no though!

I've always had Goodyear Eagle F1's and cant fault them. Just ordered a new set after covering 25,000 miles on the first set.

I do have the 19's so not sure if you can get them in the std Zed size but i would imagine so.

For reference just bought the rears 275 / 35 R19 at £170 each

You can only get F1's for the rears for standard size 18s unfortunately.

I know tyres are probably the most important thing on a car but why the same front and back? (Unless its a 4x4)

You can, it's just you'll get a different feel in different conditions. Wet weather tends to magnify performance and if one or other is much better / worse in the wet, it can make handling a nightmare.

4x4's it's often even more important as the diffs and sensors need the same tyres so if distributes grip properly.

I've run different tyres front and rear for 12 months with no problems whatsoever, surely with any tyres they will feel different front to rear as you are running a different contact area (tyre sizes) and the power is going through the rear

have you run different sizes and had problems, is that why you posted that ?

to the OP , given the chioce out of those tyres..........falken :thumbs:

I've run different tyres front and rear for 12 months with no problems whatsoever, surely with any tyres they will feel different front to rear as you are running a different contact area (tyre sizes) and the power is going through the rear

That's pretty much my theory.. :wacko:

i was always brought up never to mix across the axle regardless of car and power out put. any decent tyre fitter will tell you the same.

different tyres have different rubber compounds, different treds, and respond differently in wet conditions, it is as simple as just tyre surface and contact area. tyres brands wear differently and react differnetly.

you could possibly drive for years on mixed tyres and never have a problem, but you increase the likely hood of it happening. you only have to hit water on a corner at the wrong speed and angle, and instead of the back sliding out prgressively it will just snap instead. and before you know it your strapped into a 300bhp hedge finding missle.

the last car i had and the forum i belonged to this used to be a regualr topic of conversation. and of the 2 -3 years i was on it for there were several people who commented on running mixed tyres with no problems, and then during the winter, they would come on sheepishly and post about how their car had suddenly diverted from the main road to the hedge. (it was even more important on the mk3 mr2 because it was mid engined. and had a nasty habit of snatching in bad weather. heard several reports of people spinning out when traveling down a straight piece of dual carriage way in the wet.)

I'm not saying it is against all that is good in motoring to run different front and rear tyres. I am saying that it can make things unpredictable. Example - I had a set of Yoko A539's on a previous car (FWD) and when the fronts needed replacing they were out of stock so I bought some BF Goodrich. In the wet, the front had fair bit more grip which made my FWD car a bit tail happy. Once I knew about it, it was ok and I could drive to take it into account. But the first time it near chucked me across the roundabout! So, given the weight and power of the Zed, unless you're wanting to maybe create a difference in handling it seems like a risk to me.

Also, the manufacturers test and set up the cars with tyres as a constant - you might not get the handling characteristics you'd expect from the car with different tyres front and rear.

And I'm not talking about size, I'm talking about actual tyre brand / model. :)

I agree about across the axle, especially on the rear, different tyres is just silly.

Mixing tyres front and back on a bike is an absolute No No.

Different tyre tempratures, grip, feel etc etc can cause all sorts of problems and lead to a lowside or highside etc

It would be felt alot more when on two wheels but the theory is going to be the same!

My theory is an extra couple of tyres (the cost of a few tanks of fuel) may save your life. Is it worth mixing sets at the end of the day??

JMO

Just wondering, what tyres would everyone go for if all tyres were the same price????

Ive currently got 4x bridgestones but rears need replacing and read that the main problem is grip in the cold/wet.

Just wondering which is considered the true best all rounder for the 350Z????

Just wondering, what tyres would everyone go for if all tyres were the same price????

Ive currently got 4x bridgestones but rears need replacing and read that the main problem is grip in the cold/wet.

money no object, i believe the michilin pilot sports are what people would get, but it will set you back £1000 for all 4 corners.

i'm going to try out the vredestein ssantas when mine wear out.

I'm personally not a fan of Kumho's. Ran a couple of different sets on my previous beasty. Driven a few different cars with them on since, not a fan.

I've always had Goodyear Eagle F1's and cant fault them.

F1's GS-D3 are a great tyre. The new F1 Asymmetric that superseded the GS-D3 looks to be quite interesting. We had a technical night last year and they had one of the new F1's to play with, looks like they should go pretty well. Firmer sidewall too that the previous GS-D3.

I would have like to try the new ones but couldn't get the right sizing in a hurray when the car had a blow out last month. :wacko:

money no object, i believe the michilin pilot sports are what people would get, but it will set you back £1000 for all 4 corners.

i'm going to try out the vredestein ssantas when mine wear out.

You can get a set of MPS for a lot less than that if you shop around. I paid £680 for my last set.