Stock Exhaust - Middle section de-silencered with video

scottsoulby

hi guys,

having read about an idea or question on here about what would the stock exhaust sound like with the middle pipe de-silencered,

so...

i thought i might give it ago, i took it to my local powerpipes today and 40 quid later, hey presto

it sounds quite raspy especially when cold and a little louder and throaty when warm,

ive uploaded a video on youtube which is currently processing, unless anyone knows where i can post it up straight away?

Scott

Theoretically it will effect it as you are losing back pressure, doesn't always have a great deal of effect on some cars though, doesn't really matter that much how small it is though scott, a restricion is a restriction if you know what i mean. Kind of like the same effect them cheepy universal exhausts have that saxo drivers put on instead of them pea shooters. Just keep an eye on it, just don't get too distracted by that new throaty noise you have (and all that popping) ;)

Enough of that though :thumbs::D

to be fair, it is quite raspy but im not sure the video is a true reflection of it, it was filmed on a camera and quite close so it sounds a bit muffled, plus when im driving it sounds different to stationary

im suprised how much difference it made, its only a small silencer, i thought it would only sound a little louder

Do you have hi flow cats on there or an aftermarket y pipe?

I only ask because I did the same thing as you recently and mine is quite a different sound. I had a place near me make a stainless steel unsilenced centre section but I had it done at the same time as fitting Kinetix cats and Nismo Y pipe. I still have the similar popping but mine is much deeper. Only problem I have is that it makes a resonating sound like metal flapping about. Ive been told that this could be the cats themselves. Someone I know who fitted hi-flows had the same crappy sound and couldnt get rid of it - its so frustrating as im embarassed to go full throttle as it sounds like its going to fall off lol.

I know that a lot of mods to the zed dont increase performance but mine feels more powerful now - although Im guessing thats just the placebo effect of all the extra noise :lol:

Im no power monger and I never push the car as hard as it can go. For me its all about the looks, handling and the noise so im more then happy with the unsilenced centre section and I havent noticed any power drop.

I only ask because I did the same thing as you recently and mine is quite a different sound. I had a place near me make a stainless steel unsilenced centre section but I had it done at the same time as fitting Kinetix cats and Nismo Y pipe. I still have the similar popping but mine is much deeper. Only problem I have is that it makes a resonating sound like metal flapping about. Ive been told that this could be the cats themselves. Someone I know who fitted hi-flows had the same crappy sound and couldnt get rid of it - its so frustrating as im embarassed to go full throttle as it sounds like its going to fall off lol.

I know that a lot of mods to the zed dont increase performance but mine feels more powerful now - although Im guessing thats just the placebo effect of all the extra noise :lol:

Im no power monger and I never push the car as hard as it can go. For me its all about the looks, handling and the noise so im more then happy with the unsilenced centre section and I havent noticed any power drop.

Did you get a video of it yet? Mine used to make a kind griding noise when cold but it was due to the y-pipe rubbing against something.

I never noticed any power loss when I cut mine out. I will be cutting out the silencer on my greddy exhaust when I get chance aswell :teeth:

So... is doing something like this a feasible option to make my exhaust louder then?

I've been toying with getting an aftermarket exhaust for a while as i just want it to be loud - im not fussed about performance - if anything, i'll be better off if it slows me down :blush:

There is a very reputable exhaust company in Macc where im from, and i'd happily let them mess around with my pipes (!) but im worried about long term damage, and if it will affect emissions when it comes to MOT time...

So... is doing something like this a feasible option to make my exhaust louder then?

I've been toying with getting an aftermarket exhaust for a while as i just want it to be loud - im not fussed about performance - if anything, i'll be better off if it slows me down :blush:

There is a very reputable exhaust company in Macc where im from, and i'd happily let them mess around with my pipes (!) but im worried about long term damage, and if it will affect emissions when it comes to MOT time...

Will make it louder, Won't effect your emissions, A decat will though :ninja:

Did you get a video of it yet? Mine used to make a kind griding noise when cold but it was due to the y-pipe rubbing against something.

I never noticed any power loss when I cut mine out. I will be cutting out the silencer on my greddy exhaust when I get chance aswell :teeth:

Im a nightmare mate and still havent got the video done. Ill do one tomorrow night as Im at home and will post it up once its done. The sound is awesome at low revs or even at higher revs as long as its steady acceleration - its so deep and loud its actually saving me money as I dont need to floor it to get the grin on my face. If I accelerate at full speed then the rasp does annoy somewhat. Ill let you guys judge when the video goes up.

Based on the sound clip posted Id say its your call. If you like the noise, the popping and the tone of it then go for it mate. Some will not want to risk performance but if your like me and not totally performance oriented then go for it. One thing I would say is be weary of the rasping. Im going to refit my standard centre section and see if that gets rid of my rattle. If it doesnt then Ill know the unsilenced centre section isnt to blame.

Id definitely suggest having a new one made rather then stripping the silencer out of your current one. It cost more (mine was £150) but it allows the freedom to revert back upon resale.

Im a nightmare mate and still havent got the video done. Ill do one tomorrow night as Im at home and will post it up once its done. The sound is awesome at low revs or even at higher revs as long as its steady acceleration - its so deep and loud its actually saving me money as I dont need to floor it to get the grin on my face. If I accelerate at full speed then the rasp does annoy somewhat. Ill let you guys judge when the video goes up.

Based on the sound clip posted Id say its your call. If you like the noise, the popping and the tone of it then go for it mate. Some will not want to risk performance but if your like me and not totally performance oriented then go for it. One thing I would say is be weary of the rasping. Im going to refit my standard centre section and see if that gets rid of my rattle. If it doesnt then Ill know the unsilenced centre section isnt to blame.

Id definitely suggest having a new one made rather then stripping the silencer out of your current one. It cost more (mine was £150) but it allows the freedom to revert back upon resale.

Why don't you just buy a K1? ;)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nrJHaoPAZqU

mine is has only had the silencer cut out, no y-pipe or de-catted, i thought it would have been deeper, heard somewhere that it might take a little time to coke up?

Yeah I was told the same. I must admit its been on a few weeks now and its a lot more stable in that the rasping is dying down (but still very present when flooring it) but it hasnt got any deeper (it was ludicrously deep to start with).

I had my backboxes on there from the start and its only since doing the centre section, cats and y pipe that its become so deep. Since you already have the centre done Id suggest that the cats are the next step towards your goal.

Once I get the video up youll be able to judge better mate.

2 reasons -

1 - arent they only available from Big Phil?

2 - Exhaust is low down my list in terms of up-coming mods - needs lowered, tints, and paddle-shift kit, so dont want to spend much (i.e. over £100!).

:headhurt:

Im selling my K1 (without Y Pipe) with removable silencers for £200 + postage.

Ill put it up in traders section with photos at the weekend, also, that pops and burbles on back off and sounds lovely (unfortunately to loud for my local track :( )