Stock Exhaust - Middle section de-silencered with video

scottsoulby

i was thinking to put it back in, all the talk about loosing power worried me, now im not sure if it has or not :wacko:

does anybody know if it would lose power for definate?

larger bore exhausts reduce the amount of back pressure.

its not so much loosing power more shifting the distribution of power.

a sports exhausts general effect on most cars is that it reduces a little of the low down tourque, but increases the top end performance.

basically pulling away you loose a little grunt, but at full beans you can go a little faster.

there is a little more to it than that, but its the easiest way to expalin it, thats how i've always seen it.

some else may correct me. ;)

it feels that way to be fair, with the bungs in the k1 on the drag strip i got a faster 60/120ft time and a similar terminal time, without i got a slightly slower 60/120ft time but a higher terminal speed and was actually .01 slower, anything when talking about .01 though could be down to the pie i ate pre run :thumbs:

i was thinking to put it back in, all the talk about loosing power worried me, now im not sure if it has or not :wacko:

does anybody know if it would lose power for definate?

larger bore exhausts reduce the amount of back pressure.

its not so much loosing power more shifting the distribution of power.

a sports exhausts general effect on most cars is that it reduces a little of the low down tourque, but increases the top end performance.

basically pulling away you loose a little grunt, but at full beans you can go a little faster.

there is a little more to it than that, but its the easiest way to expalin it, thats how i've always seen it.

some else may correct me. ;)

True, but the problem with the Zed is that it wont utilise the freer flowing nature of the exhaust, so you wont gain anything top end. Hence a loss of low down torque and no gain. So you lose out really :surrender:

It seems that there will definitely be a loss then from what people have said but how noticeable is that for a normal spirited driver? Unless Im going out on a track trying to beat lap times I dont think I would even notice the loss. As long as I can put my foot down, feel my head fly back and smile at the lovely exhaust note then Im happy ;)

Id also like to think that any loss from the unsilenced centre section is negated by my plenum spacer, hi flow cats and nismo y-pipe - although with most of this stuff the placebo effect is most likely bigger then any actual gains.

It seems that there will definitely be a loss then from what people have said but how noticeable is that for a normal spirited driver? Unless Im going out on a track trying to beat lap times I dont think I would even notice the loss. As long as I can put my foot down, feel my head fly back and smile at the lovely exhaust note then Im happy ;)

Id also like to think that any loss from the unsilenced centre section is negated by my plenum spacer, hi flow cats and nismo y-pipe - although with most of this stuff the placebo effect is most likely bigger then any actual gains.

like what was said above, your talking very tiny amounts, an experienced butt dyno might notice it a tiny amount, but your average joe blogs possibly wouldn't, but then you have the added facter of extra noise which would possibly add back on the little bit you lost but in physcological terms.

to be honest. big bore exhausts only have a dmamging impact on cars performance when its something like a 1.2 fiesta with 2 5 inch cans slapped on the back then it becomes like blowing a hairdryer down the channel tunnel. and serious losses.

if your happy and you haven't noticed any real changes, then sit back and enjoy it.

i added a pop chager to mine, i know full well that my car is now not performing as well as if it was standard, but the loss is so minimal. and the gain in noise far out ways the loss.

its a day to day car, things might be different if you were trying to build a track monster. ;)

Yeah couldnt agree with you more mate. An increas in noise is a bonus and a decrease in power is a loss but if the bonus from noise increase outweighs the loss in power then its a fair trade off (as long as were not talking losing considerable power of course)

I have my vid done now so will post it up shortly.

Sounds a lot louder, amazing considering how small that middle silencer is.

Doesn't the scorpion have a straight through mid pipe with no silencer anyway?

I think the scorpion is a bit deeper though, probably because of the re designed rear box!??